Your favourite sounds/patches/tones/gear of artists

Started by El_Mayonnaise, April 03, 2011, 09:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

So Sunday evening (night?) conversation time:
Whats your favourite sounds/patches/tones/gear of your favourite artists/bands?

I quite love Neal Morse's string/synth patch sound that you can hear 15 seconds into lay down your life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGqgrDAoJ4s

Is that based on a mellotron or something?  :D  I know he uses it a lot.
Gav Harrisons snare sound is another contender.

Any thoughts?

JakeWorrell

"The longer the note, the more dread."

Pedro

Great topic...but there's so many to choose from!
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mooncat

JM's guitar sound always gets me - live it tears your face off
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

E.S.

Yeah, that's the Mellotron violins. Sounds very much like the MKII samples that I have in the good old Mtron plugin.

I could make a long list of sounds I like, because there's so much out there. But some sounds I've tried to emulate for years would be the Jens Johansson lead sound, the old Rudess lead from his early DT days, a lot of the nasty dirty sounds that Noisia make, Arjen Lucassens hammond organ sound, the Geddy Lee bass from the Hemispheres days...
TBE's drum sound on EIMA seriously rocks. Working on drum tracks these days, and using that as a reference.

Geetar

Quote from: "E.S.".....Arjen Lucassens hammond organ sound, the Geddy Lee bass from the Hemispheres days...

Yes indeedy.

To which I'd add: Zawinul's keys, Lyle Mays' piano, Gadd on drums, Garbarek's soprano sax, Scott Henderson's guitar in both TT and solo mode, and Jaco's bass (especially on Joni Mitchell's "Hejira", "DJ'sRD" and "Shadows and Light"). All a bit obvious by the standards of light-ish-weight contemporary jazz, but well...... I like them.
This space for sale.