Main Menu

UPS

Started by Mikey, June 17, 2011, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

I had a meeting with HR yesterday.
They told me that my gardening leave was cancelled and that they would like me to work on tachograph compliance (a buffer between UPS & VOSA? synical old B'std that I am).
The next statement was that I had a meeting with the district manager. Less than 24 hours notice. (intentional non-use of capitals) today at Tamworth. (Thanks for your messages of support).

What a waste of time.
Aforementioned district manager arrived late, then waited for other bods to arrive.
I had to meet with her, the UK operations manager, my division manager and my centre manager, i.e. my four line managers, to be told stop threatening us. Then to have the contents of yesterday,s meeting repeated to me almost verbatim, and when I said that we had already discussed it, she seemed surprised.

She mentioned nothing about slander, libel, constructive dismissal, unnecessary stress at work, etc, etc, was she fully informed? Not at all. She'd been given only about 10% of the information, and that 10% is merely icing on the cake.
 :D  :D
I used to have a signature

johninblack

What next then Mikey?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RacingHippo

Yeah, I'm on tenterhook thingies here!
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

I haven't even warmed up yet.

I could have embarrassed her infront of her minnions, but chose not to.
She accused me of threatening the Company, but as this is already lodged with my solicitor, it isn't a threat, but she wouldn't let me answer.

It didn't help that 10 mins before the meeting by boss said, and I quote "she's a carpet muncher" unquote. Fortunately this thought didn't cross my mind during the 4 on 1 meeting. I believe that's intimidation.
The meeting was less than 24 hours notice and I wasn't asked whether I wanted representation.

Mikey

Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Mikey, Yahoo [Bot]

One more and it would have been like this afternoon ;)

Big Black Shed

Advice to UPS: When in a large hole, stop digging.

Advice to Mikey: Take em to the cleaners.

Much support here, mate. Been there and done it myself. Best of British to you. But from the sound of things you won't need luck. Just the facts.
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

johninblack

Mikey, are UPS treating these as informal chats or as formal disciplinary hearings because if the latter and you wern't told you were allowed representation UPS would be breaking the law (again) and almost certainly their own policies.
Are you a Trade Union Member?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mikey

Quote from: "johninblack"Mikey, are UPS treating these as informal chats or as formal disciplinary hearings because if the latter and you wern't told you were allowed representation UPS would be breaking the law (again) and almost certainly their own policies.
Are you a Trade Union Member?
I think it was meant to be an informal chat, there was no talk of anything disciplinary.
I was told I was insulting their intelligence by saying that I wasn't threatening them.
If you've already contacted VOSA and have a solicitor then it can't be a threat. But you can't educate pork. (Not that I was allowed to). Details of meeting already noted in my little black book  ;)

No, I'm not in the Union, but if necessary the Rep says I can join for a few months and use their services.

I've done the nice reasonable guy, now it will all be through the solicitor.
We're now 5 weeks into my notice and they still can't answer the simple question of do you want to go to court, which I thought was going to be the purpose of yesterdays meeting.

Mikey

Quote from: "Big Black Shed"Much support here, mate. Been there and done it myself. Best of British to you. But from the sound of things you won't need luck. Just the facts.
Again, thanks to all of you for your support.
I think I know what I'm doing, which is giving UPS every opportunity to come to a reasonable settlement. I've done all the meetings on my own, no threat of solicitors attending. Keeping it as in house as possible.
As you've spotted UPS don't seem to be able to stop digging. The sides of their battle trench are starting to subside.
Yesterdays meeting gave me the impression they were rattled, or they wouldn't have needed to wheel out all the troops for something that could have been done by my Manager.

johninblack

Seriously think it's in your own interest to have some kind of representation, I've seen something like this happen before where they act all useless and seem to be screwing themselves over, their next trick could be to be calling you a liar and putting words you didn't say in your mouth. Hope I'm wrong :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RacingHippo

When I went through similar shite back in 05, I purchased for a moderate fee a little mp3 recorder.
I only actually used it twice. The first time was the informal meeting that HR and Line Mangler have to do when you've been signed off sick for a certain period; I couldn't arrange representation so I thought 2nd best thing is to record it.
I checked the employment laws VERY carefully about this - you're OK to do it so long as it's open and up-front. The other party can refuse, but must reschedule and allow you to get representation.

Oh boy. You should have seen the look on HR-director-woman's face:
HR: "Oh, I don't think we can allow that!" she said as soon as I said I'd be recording it, looking at LM for support (who looked equally wrong-footed).
Me: "Actually, I am perfectly within my rights to do so, but if you wish to refuse we can reschedule for another time, but with representation...."
HR: *looks at LM, looks at recorder, visibly fumes*

And by the gods am I glad I did. So much better than trying to take notes. I spent hours writing up notes after it, referring to tone of voice and the way their questions were very leading- wouldn't have been able to prove that otherwise.
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

As long as the other side knows that you're recording, it's admissible ;)

I think the underlying message was, you're trying to blackmail us.
But you can't threaten to do something you've already done.

(.....and look, there's a dated statement I've just made, again)

Don't worry, there'll be representation at every meeting now

Mikey

How do UPS ensure delivery of the employees magazine Insight?

Mikey

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
And I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
And may I say not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way

For what is a man what has he got
If not himself then he has not
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

Yes it was my way

© CHRYSALIS STANDARDS, INC;

Of course it would be sung in the style of Sid Vicious :lol:

Mikey

Being unleashed by UPS and having crawled off my death bed, with what can only be described as womanflu. The fun has started.  :D

Already had replies from the Union Convenor to e-mails sent yesterday to the District/Operations & Division Managers, not so strange silence so far from UPS.

Here's a photo from my last day on road, looking down on Meltham