On the backs of angels

Started by El_Mayonnaise, June 29, 2011, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El_Mayonnaise

"On the Backs of Angels" from the album "A Dramatic Turn of Events"

http://youtu.be/oasnbzEMV08

Next single to be "Humping the Cathartic Moose"

Personally thought it was quite good. Started to realise my music taste is less geared towards a million notes per second though.

ich_bin_besser

On my second listen now. It's good! Just hope that some songs on the album have a different direction, at least a bit.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

gr8gonzo

I've listened to it many times today and rather like it compared to their recent offerings. I do think this one borrows a bit too much from "Home", but I'm definitely more pleased (and relieved) than I expected to be.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

I need to give it, and them, more listens, but I have come to the conclusion that DT is just not a favorite of mine.  it's certainly competent, but I would rarely choose to listen.

D S

Yeah, quite happy with the direction here.  I'd rather lost faith with DT over the last few years as they just seemed to get heavier and heavier (but then my favourite album of theirs is Falling Into Infinity so I must like DT Lite!).  This sounds more back to the SFAM era as Gonzo also notes.  Interestingly, the drums seem lower in the mix for some reason...  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

E.S.

I had to listen a couple of times, but now I love it. Some of their better work in a while, I think. Sounds like they aren't trying so hard to sound like a modern metal band anymore, and that's more than OK in my book.

Dave M

Sounds less metal and more progressive to my ears.

They'd gone too heavy for me with the last 2 albums, and I found their shows to be one relentless sonic assault on my ears ... less notes, less metal, less shedding, better songs would be a good direction as far as I'm concerned, but Im only a casual DT fan.

Was MP the big driver in terms of metal within the band ?

I like this 1st song though  :D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Mooncat

I'm really liking it. Quite a few comments about the drums in the mix on the RR site - might be a deliberate thing or might just be the compression that's been applied for internet consumption.

I think it has been said by them band that MP was leaning/pulling more towards the metal side of things, hence his work with A7X amongst others.

Hope this get's a live outing when I see them next month in Wolvo!!
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Brom

I gave it a go last night and wasn't instantly grabbed, but wasn't put off either. I also thought that the production at one point seemed a bit muddy, but then I listened on and it sounded OK. Looks like I've got myself stuck on the fence without realising it!  :lol: Deffo needs a few more listens.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

MarkOneMusic

Have to confess to being a bit underwhelmed.

It was just more of the DT formula.

Don't get me wrong, didn't dislike it. But I was kinda hoping for a different direction

mr_john

I like it but I'm holding off on final opinion until the full album is out in September. The majority of the response over at Portnoy's form seems to be positive.

Interesting to see if they back off the metulz on this album. Good stuff.

Mooncat

QuoteBut I was kinda hoping for a different direction

But with 4/5 of the old line up, was that really going to happen?? I think after their most successful album for a few years in 'Black Clouds...' they would have been very mindful of the implication a drastic change in direction might have on their fanbase.

It's a little bit like the It Bites album 'The Tall Ships' - the album deliberately has enough of the 'old signature sound' to reach the exisitng fanbase, but coupled with a modern edge to hopefully  pick up new fans and point the way for the next album. I think the new album (mooted as being out later this year and called 'Map of the Past') will see another step forward (or a 'progression'  ;) )
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Mordwin

Yeah, first listen and it's quite listenable and quite DT. Guess I'm not surprised, and I imagine even if they'd done some slightly different stuff, they'd release something in more familiar territory first... though I don't expect the album will veer too far from the last. We'll see... :)

Drarok

Only had a single listen so far, didn't really grab me, but didn't make me want to turn it off, either.
I was surprised just how non-different the drums sounded, but I guess that's mostly down to the studio/producer and the like. Sounded just like MP's old kit to me.

I'll hold judgement until the final release, methinks.

Mikey

Quote from: "Dave M"less shedding
Gone for the greenhouse effect?
I used to have a signature