Frost* Christmas 2011 AGM - The Peel, Kingston. 16th Dec

Started by JakeWorrell, August 12, 2011, 09:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

Quote from: "Mouse"Right, I think I've recovered enough (AKA actually got some sleep!) to finally show my mug back in here. I had an absolute blast! The band were so relaxed and were clearly enjoying themselves. It may not have been as tight as the last set of gigs, but the feeling was much, much better! So many smiles, so many people bouncing around... Excellent, truly excellent.

Thank you mate. I did say to Craig (who shares your view) today that were we to tour for a fortnight, we'd be world class, alas the financials currently prevent us from doing so (being a touring musician in a fringe genre music band these days is not the route to millionaire-dom that it used to be ;) ), however I don't rule that out when the new album's ready.  :D  :D

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"So, once again, sorry if I was in your way on Friday night. I hope you can see from the above that this is not because I am a thoughtless basket....
I don't think anyones implying that you are, merely the layout of the Peel leaves little to be desired for such a gig.
You pays your money and takes your choice.
We arrived at bang on 8 and chose to stand at the back, others arrived after us and barged their way through.

.....Now if they played at the Picturedrome, for example........goes off on a dream
I used to have a signature

Pedro

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "E.S."Just to be a little geeky for a moment... I noticed this at the gig, it's the curse of so called perfect pitch.. did anyone notice they have tuned down a half step? Why is that?
You'll find the same happens at an It Bites gig. ;)
Neal Morse referred to doing the same on one "making of" DVD...in that he still had to tweak some samples. Did the Fantom and does the Kronos take care of that at the push of a button or do you have to factor it in when programming?

Plus, without the drop we wouldn't have had that "I'd better tune the bass down" Frost* Report moment from JJ at Summer's End. :) I must admit, from the punter's perspective, I remembered thinking when JJ walked out; "Jeez, these guys are paranoid about their instruments drifting out of tune"....funny the impressions that punters can get about what is really going on. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Geetar

Quote from: "D S"Nice to catch up with many of you again, even if only briefly

Same here. Lovely to see you all too, though we had to leave early (Mrs G not in the best of shape that night - kids had been unwell at home previous day too).

Pedro - you are ALWAYS considerate of others: please stop feeling so guilty about being over 4 metres tall.

And the semitone down thing- in the US, it's done to do the "half-step down" for loads of live. For blues guitar especially, strung with 10's or 11's, it gets a better feel, sound and reliability over a whole night's playing and doesn't kill your hands. The vocalist gets an easier ride too, but that's just a bonus. Listen to a bunch of SRV, John Mayer and a whole heapin' mess of Nashville-centric music live to see how pervasive it is.

It does, however, "heavy" the music up a bit, so maybe that's a part of why the sound was a bit mashy; plus, my ears were in compression for a lot of the main set.

Anyway, sorry to have sloped off, but next year we'll likely be in better shape. I'd just like to put in a plea for a screen in the bar for next year, if that's even a remote possibility. it'd be a great boon ( maybe even a currant boon ?).

You (both band and Frosties) are truly a lovely bunch.
This space for sale.

LivingForever

Ok - my review was taking so long, I decided to split it into two parts...

Part One is here: http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/2011 ... frost.html

Part two to come...
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

sawtooth

Quote from: "Pedro"I am currently having my usual pangs of guilt that follow most gigs where people have cause to complain about being unable to see well (or at all).
Pangs of guilt totally unfounded matey - it cheered me up no end when I walked in to the room and saw you in your glorious pig-tails! :D
No, the problem was deffo at the back - my missus was getting bounced around and stood on by the steady stream of beer heads on route to and from the bar, most of whom decided it was their rightful place to barge through and stand right in front of her. Not a great experience for a prog first-timer! Thanks to everyone who shot video footage though - I'm having a very enjoyable time watching the Tw*ts in Hats right now! :lol:  :lol:

Againesis

Quote from: "LivingForever"Ok - my review was taking so long, I decided to split it into two parts...

Part One is here: http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/2011 ... frost.html

Part two to come...

"But what really makes my night is when someone who I haven't met before comes up to me, asks if I'm James (I am), and tells me he likes it so much he's stayed up one night reading all the entries. Hits on the page are one thing, and I've been getting a few of those, but they don't tell you whether someone actually likes it or if they just read the first three paragraphs and give up when I still haven't made it to the gig. So, thanks Adam, you made my night!"

You're welcome - and 'twas true.  And I heartily recommend it to all other Frosties (although I suspect most of them have read it already).  BTW - you weren't at a Divine Comedy gig back in around 91/92 opposite St Pancras station in what felt like a village hall once were you??
There are only 10 types of people]

LivingForever

Quote from: "Againesis"You're welcome - and 'twas true.  And I heartily recommend it to all other Frosties (although I suspect most of them have read it already).  BTW - you weren't at a Divine Comedy gig back in around 91/92 opposite St Pancras station in what felt like a village hall once were you??

Ahh, would that I were... no, I didn't catch them until 1997, sadly. But I was glad to have seen a couple of Short Album About Love-era gigs, including the most incredible gig at the Festival Hall with full symphony orchestra...

Those were the days!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

Dena

Quote from: "Jem"Nothing against Twang the absolutely superb job he's done at The Peel, but I don't think we can play there again. We were dying on stage from the heat and I could see everybody fanning themselves in the first 3 rows so God knows how it must have been at the back. If Twang decides to leave The Peel and take up residence at a bigger gig I will be delighted to join him on opening night. Sad to say  I think we've outgrown The Peel. And I say that with the greatest of respect to it and what it's done for us over the years.
I was talking to Twang after the gig and he touched upon the possibility of another venue in central London (without a silly curfew). If that happens, that would be a truly joyous thing to behold.

Pedders - I can only echo what everyone else has said. The problem wasn't with the people there, more the layout of the venue and the sheer numbers. I attempted to get in but I was going nowhere so had to give up  :(  I only wish that everyone at gigs were as thoughtful and considerate as you!
Innit.

Mouse

Yeah, shut up, Pedders. You have nothing to worry about.  :)  In fact, the only thing you would have to worry about with those pig tails is being mistaken for Nick Beggs.  ;)

Quote from: "Jem"Nothing against Twang the absolutely superb job he's done at The Peel, but I don't think we can play there again. We were dying on stage from the heat and I could see everybody fanning themselves in the first 3 rows so God knows how it must have been at the back. If Twang decides to leave The Peel and take up residence at a bigger gig I will be delighted to join him on opening night. Sad to say  I think we've outgrown The Peel. And I say that with the greatest of respect to it and what it's done for us over the years.

The Peel is ace and will forever be ace, but it is a small venue. I think the interest in last Friday's gig is a good indicator that Frost* have grown bigger than they were when EIMA was released and now need to stand in bigger shoes, so to speak. So, sell out gig at the Hammy Odeon next, then?  :D

Mouse

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "Mouse"Right, I think I've recovered enough (AKA actually got some sleep!) to finally show my mug back in here. I had an absolute blast! The band were so relaxed and were clearly enjoying themselves. It may not have been as tight as the last set of gigs, but the feeling was much, much better! So many smiles, so many people bouncing around... Excellent, truly excellent.

Thank you mate. I did say to Craig (who shares your view) today that were we to tour for a fortnight, we'd be world class, alas the financials currently prevent us from doing so (being a touring musician in a fringe genre music band these days is not the route to millionaire-dom that it used to be ;) ), however I don't rule that out when the new album's ready.  :D  :D

I'd much rather see a band having a genuinely good time playing live being relaxed and at ease with mistakes than a tense, note for note exact reproduction of an album. That sense of fun is infectious and gets us lot in the audience all bouncy and grinny which is then, hopefully, transferred back to the band and so on. But, if you want to tour for two weeks, I won't try and stop you! I'll see you down the front at as many as I can manage.  8-)

fitzy

Touring for two weeks!!Ha!ha!i better start saving then ;) ,seriously another gig to split up the 12 months of 2012 would be brilliant,until the next Xmas AGM of course!!Will have to go somewhere sunny first,to acclimatise for the heat in the Peel though..!
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

sawtooth

Quote from: "Mouse"The Peel is ace and will forever be ace, but it is a small venue. I think the interest in last Friday's gig is a good indicator that Frost* have grown bigger than they were when EIMA was released and now need to stand in bigger shoes, so to speak. So, sell out gig at the Hammy Odeon next, then?  :D

Word Mouse.
I think the Peel has been fantastic on past experience for preserving that intimate atmosphere which blurs the boundary between the band and the audience, it's nice to feel that we're, as an audience, totally involved with the night's entertainment, even if we aren't the ones doing the hard work on stage. And going to bigger venues would possibly compromise that, but I've always felt that the CRS venue in Rotherham, for example, keeps the good vibes flowin' whilst also not being a total sweat-fest. At the end of the day it's all about numbers innit? And a central enough location so as to allow maximum bob audience-wise.

RobRideout

Just wow...

That gig was fantastic :) Totally made by the post-gig curry, too (thanks in no small part to James, Round of applause to you, sir!)

REALLY gutted I missed the entire TiH's set due to travel delays. We set off at 10 that morning and only managed to stop travelling ten minutes before frost* actually got on, but it was entirely worth it to put some faces to names and have a damn good night.

I watched Pedro's 'Don't you Want Me' video and loved it. Really hope they do something like that again next time, really sucks that I didn't see it, I do so love the traditional Frost* shenanigans :)

Also, thanks everyone who talked to me and MrsDrBlowThingsUp, you made us feel really welcome! And sorry to all the people I never got a chance to annoy, I promise I'll find you next time ;P

Againesis

Quote from: "LivingForever"including the most incredible gig at the Festival Hall with full symphony orchestra...
Ahh - yes...great gig.  Was there myself.  I just thought it was a shame he got pissed during the interval. :oops:  :shock:
There are only 10 types of people]