What was the first single you ever bought?

Started by Geddy Lee, November 25, 2008, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geddy Lee

I always find this kind of thing quite interesting, so without further ado the first single I ever bought was GOODBYE T'JANE by SLADE way back in 1972. :shock:
Be A Hero, Kill Your Ego

wickedwitch

west end girls. it was a birthday present for my brother but i secretly quite liked it. i was a raving goth at the time.... !

PaulBM

I bought that single too, Geddy, but my first single was Jeepster by T. Rex in 1971 and I still enjoy the Electric Warrior album. I remember being annoyed that Benny Hill kept Jeepster off the number 1 spot. :)

James_S

I think my first single was Head Games by Foreigner.

I know my first album was Ummagumma by Pink Floyd (I went for quantity over quality on that one) and that was shortly followed by Exit Stage Left - Rush, which to this day is my favourite live Rush album :)
So many keyboards, so little time!

Gandalf1986

Charlie Big Potato by Skunk Anansie...

Quite liked it at the time... :)
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

RacingHippo

I have never, in my life, bought a single single.
I always considered it far better VFM if I just saved for the album.

You'd have thought that makes me sounds like I'm shrewd with money. Unfortunately that is the only time I've ever shown any tendency to being sensible with the stuff.
* May contain nuts.

James_S

Quote from: "RacingHippo"You'd have thought that makes me sounds like I'm shrewd with money. Unfortunately that is the only time I've ever shown any tendency to being sensible with the stuff.

Yorkshireman to the hilt :)
So many keyboards, so little time!

Mikey

Quote from: "James_S"
Quote from: "RacingHippo"You'd have thought that makes me sounds like I'm shrewd with money. Unfortunately that is the only time I've ever shown any tendency to being sensible with the stuff.

Yorkshireman to the hilt :)

Hue's Corporation - Rock the boat  :oops:  :oops:
Followed by Diana Ross & the Supremes - Baby Love
I used to have a signature

JimD

First single bought was "Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO.

First single I played though was "Funky Moped/Magic Roundabout" by Jasper Carrott.  I inherited it from my older sister and thought it was hilarious.  I was approximately 6 at the time.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

D S

The Funky Gibbon by The Goodies  :oops:  :lol:  (well, I was only 7.)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Lacklight

The first single I can remember going out and buying was probably Metal Guru by T Rex in 1972.

J Jonah Jameson

'The Dean and I' by 10cc.  But only because they didn't have Devil Gate Drive...

JJJ

Dave M

May the sun shine .. Nazareth .. 1979 ... God thats a long time ago now ! :shock:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

EVP

Hmm this one is a bit foggy in my memory,but I'll have to say with my musical
awareness coming of age in the early 80's,it might have been Yes's "Leave It"

I was exposed to a lot of 45 rpm singles as my father had a jukebox and would be
spinning stuff all the time.  Of course there were a ton of 12 inch singles appearing
sort of all at once,mainly Phil Collins or Genesis stuff.

The 'single' that stands out the most in my mind would be "King Tut" by Steve Martin  :lol:

RWA

Must be around 1974 or so. I was SO into this!  :D