What was the first single you ever bought?

Started by Geddy Lee, November 25, 2008, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

I clearly remember some of the very first singles I received with my briefcase-style turntable in 1975 (incl. "I Love Music" by The O'Jays, "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell and "Puff the Magic Dragon" by someone other than PP&M).

But, the first single I ever bought for myself with my own money was "Island Girl" by Elton John.  And I still recall this vividly, despite being only six years old at the time.  I bought it from the KMart on Erie Boulevard in DeWitt, New York.  The 45s were in a tall, wire carousel rack.  When I got home and played it, I was disappointed that the song wasn't the one I wanted, until I realized I'd played the B-side by mistake.

I suppose if you have to remember something with that much detail, your first music purchase is a good one.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

leelustig

It might have been the 'Das Modell' single by Rammstein  :shock:

Used to be a huge fan of this band... I'm still somewhat into them but not as much as I was about 8 years ago. If anyone knows them though, that Das Modell single was incredibly rare. It had a whole mess of b-sides on it if I can remember correctly... Good stuff.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

wickedwitch

Quote from: "J Jonah Jameson"'The Dean and I' by 10cc.  But only because they didn't have Devil Gate Drive...

JJJ

dont think i could talk when that came out  :twisted:

First album i bought was probably bauhaus or the damned.

first thing i taped off the radio was a genesis song .... so thats ok then!

LivingForever

"Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel was my first 7" single, bought by my parents.

Closely followed by Chas and Dave's 'Snooker Loopy', what a quality track.

I think the first single I bought myself was Queen's 'The Show Must Go On' on CD.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

johninblack

Don't remember if it was the first but the earliest I remember was I am a Dalek by The Artattacks. If not that most likely a Stranglers single.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

biskitbass

I managed to acquire lots of prog over the years on tape and LP etc and can't remember what the first one I bought was BUT the first CD I ever bought was Fish, Credo. I used to be into picture disks in a big way and actually still have It BItes, Still Too Young To Remember and Underneath Your Pillow PDs.
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you\'re gonna see some serious shit."
http://www.aquariannation.com/Home%20Pa ... Update.htm
http://www.myspace.com/biskitbass

Geddy Lee

If we are talking about the first albums the I think it was this one
Be A Hero, Kill Your Ego

Bert

No one ever believes me when I tell them this, but the first single I ever bought, in 1971, at the tender age of 6 was Fireball by Deep Purple.

I still have it, in the orginal Harvest paper sleeve. Demons Eye is on the b-side.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Dodie

Hmm, it was either Kim Wilde's "You came" (still secretly love the keyboards on that one) or Kylie's "The Locomotion" (well, nobody's perfect...)

My first albums (cassettes) when I got a tape player as a present at the age of 8 or 9 were a lot cooler - Shakin' Stevens "Give me your heart tonight" and Abba Greatest Hits Vol. 2

Cheers

David

Pedro

A Rolf Harris EP - including "Tie Me Kangaroo Down", "Big Dog" and "The Court of King Caractacus" ....this selection probably explains a lot.... ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

Quote from: "Pedro"A Rolf Harris EP - including "Tie Me Kangaroo Down", "Big Dog" and "The Court of King Caractacus" ....this selection probably explains a lot.... ;)

Hey Pedders watch it!... the first ever single bought for me was Sunarise by Rolf Harris!

Ok you're right, on second thoughts It could explain a lot!

My first purchase was "Sylvia" by Focus.

Oh God no, There was one before... it was called "The Seagulls name was Nelson" which I don't have anymore  :cry:
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

rogerg

I won a free 45 from a radio station call in quiz, and wen to Ben Franklin with my sister, and she told me to buy "Daniel" by Elton John.  good song.

the only other 45 I really remember was "Wishing You were Here" by Chicago, which was the b-side to something, but WYWH was much better.  a great song.

Ash

Quote from: "Geddy Lee"
If we are talking about the first albums the I think it was this one

OMG - that brought back memories - My Mum had that as well as 40 great Italian love songs.

First single bought for me was Bohemian Rhapsody when I was three.  According to my Mum I was then into Bay City Rollers or something.  Until I got a paper round I don't recall buying anything myself so it was usually albums for Christmas and birthdays til then and by that time I was into what I like now.
Ash
xxx

Lerxst

Technically it wasn't actually bought as my mum used to work in an independent record store - clearly she must have borrowed it permanently from the huge stock that had arrived - back in them thar days there was no Gallup b*llox - record sales were scored based on the number of ticks against each artist on a piece of paper which were then carrier pigeon'd to Tony Blackburn to count up - the aforementioned single was "John, I'm only dancing" by David Bowie, I was 6 at the time and think I got it for Xmas - it's only later in life that I realised it was a gay anthem - oh ducky!  :oops:

The Cosmic Lawnmower

With my own pocket money was 'The Jean Genie' by David Bowie in late '72, I was 13, it took me a long time to dawn on me that I didn't have to sit with my ear pinned to the radio waiting to hear my fav song, I could actually go buy it and listen repeatedly!  :oops:

The first single I actually owned, bought by Mum was 'Bits & Pieces' by The Dave Clark Five when I was 6, loved the way they stamped their feet on TOTPs! Outrageous!  :shock: