Main Menu

R.I.P.

Started by Mikey, November 18, 2011, 05:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Tuesday, 13 th May 2014
Statement on The Passing Of H.R. Giger

As many of you now have heard, "Hans Ruedi" Giger, known to the World as H.R. Giger, passed away yesterday at the age of 74. We are absolutely heartbroken over the loss of this loving husband, selfless friend, and supremely talented artist.

He truly was one of a kind, committed to his craft, to his friends and to his family. His warm personality, incredible generosity, and sharp sense of humor, were in stark contrast with the universe he depicted in his art. We would like to express our gratitude to the wonderful tributes that have been written following H.R. Giger's death. These kind words and appreciation of his artistry continue to nourish and lift our hearts at this most devastating of times, and to know that his art has inspired and entertained so many people is of unimaginable comfort.

As much as Giger shunned the limelight, preferring his work to speak for him, he was greatly appreciative of every compliment he ever received and we know he would be amazed and humbled by the kindness that continues to be the subject of his eulogies. In a career with so many star-studded highlights, it is only natural that many have mentioned his world famous brainchild, ALIEN, since the news broke this morning. It was certainly a creation which Giger prized, much as he took great pride in his collaboration with myriads of music industry and film artists, since he began his glorious journey as a world class painter, sculptor and designer.

Our priority now is to support his wife Carmen Maria Scheifele Giger, and the extended Giger family, and ask that you respect our privacy during this time, so we may mourn the loss of our beloved "Hans Ruedi".

The H.R. Giger Family

I used to have a signature

Mikey

I used to have a signature

sawtooth

Quote from: Mikey on March 16, 2015, 05:33:30 PM
Oh F...

Mike Porcaro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31900407

This is one of those really weird, coincidental but sad moments - I was randomly trawling through a few artists on YouTube, like you do, and via Mr Mister, happened upon a Ringo Starr all star concert with Richard Paige and Steve Lukather, then later started watching a few live tracks by Toto to while away an hour or so, one of which had Mike playing a tasty bass solo on the end of Africa.
Then the next thing I see after switching to a news feed was Mikes death. So sad.

owen

And now Andy Fraser has gone too

owen

Lemmy and Philthy Animal in the same year :( :( :(

Saw Motorhead a few times in the 80's. Just a monster rock 'n' roll band

RIP

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on December 29, 2015, 08:54:38 AM
Lemmy and Philthy Animal in the same year :( :( :(

Saw Motorhead a few times in the 80's. Just a monster rock 'n' roll band

RIP

Never saw the band play live, but did have a slightly bizarre encounter with Lemmy briefly when he was walking through the University of Exeter campus about 10 years ago, when I was a prof there.

I mean, reasonable in as much as Motörhead were playing that evening, but I didn't know that at the point, so it was mighty strange.

RIP, big man.

D S

RIP David Bowie - another legend departs. :'(
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Oh, good grief. Now David Bowie too  :'(

It's utterly impossible to underestimate his influence on music of the last 40+ years: an icon, a legend, a musical genius.

I only saw him play live once, at Murrayfield on 28 June 1983. I managed to get a photopass through my student newspaper photographer link, and we were allowed three of four songs in the pit in front of the stage before being chucked out into the main rugby stadium.

Still, even that short time (and the moment he brushed past me in the tunnel leading to the stage) was enough: the charisma just oozed off the man. Just one of my pictures below.

RIP, David. You set the world alight.

rogerg

What a great picture.  and what a loss. :(

Ivor

"It's utterly impossible to underestimate his his influence on music of the last 40+ years"

That about sums it up. Of all the celebrities / musicians I've known of in my fifty years, meaning no disrespect to the others, this is the one time I actually had tears in my eyes when I heard the news. Even when driving to Edinburgh this morning, I had to switch the radio off, as they kept playing tributes. Teary eyes do not a good driver make.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Ivor on January 11, 2016, 07:15:50 PM
"It's utterly impossible to underestimate his his influence on music of the last 40+ years"

That about sums it up. Of all the celebrities / musicians I've known of in my fifty years, meaning no disrespect to the others, this is the one time I actually had tears in my eyes when I heard the news. Even when driving to Edinburgh this morning, I had to switch the radio off, as they kept playing tributes. Teary eyes do not a good driver make.

Of course, I should have said "it's utterly impossible to overestimate his influence", but you know what I mean. (As for the extra "his", well ...)

An increasingly common solecism, as commented on here, for example:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/nov/16/open-door-underestimate-overestimate

Will try to do better in the future.

owen

You don't think we actually pay attention to what you post, do you?  ;)

Great photo BTW

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on January 12, 2016, 12:31:22 AM
You don't think we actually pay attention to what you post, do you?  ;)

Great photo BTW

Ooh, how to hit a man below the belt.

But no, as a died-in-the-wool solipsist, I know that I'm only talking to myself anyway, and that the rest of you are just figboxes of my imagination.

So here's another of my Murrayfield 1983 pictures of the famous artist I also dreamed up  ;)

rogerg

I'm not really here, but that's another great picture!

;D

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: rogerg on January 12, 2016, 11:34:56 AM
I'm not really here, but that's another great picture!

;D

It's ok, Rog; I just imagined that you said those nice words, and that's all that matters  8)