Main Menu

R.I.P.

Started by Mikey, November 18, 2011, 05:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermoth

This one has made me a lot sadder than the rest of the sad losses this year, presumeably because I'm a lot more familiar with George Martin's work than I am with say Bowie's and I heard a lot of interviews with George Martin and loved so much of what he did. So it's just as daft for me to feel personally sad about this one, but I do nevertheless. He was a great gift and is now a great loss.
For the next few days this house will be filled with such delightfull sounds as the Goons, The Beatles, Bernard Cribbins and maybe even some Celin Dion. Desperate times and all that. Lol
R I P Mr Martin.

Mikey

Keith Emerson
☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to have a signature

Mordwin

Another of the inspirations for many... and about 70 again (though that doesn't explain the loss of Piotr Grudzinski :( :( all the more sad for his being only 40)

It's been a pretty bad 12 months to be a musician (or a music fan) it seems...

rogerg

Mikey

For me, the biggest death in rock since Freddie Mercury. Couldn't believe it last night when the news scrolled across the bottom of the TV.
Why the biggest? Emmo was in ELP with Greg Lake. Greg Lake was in Asia (Sorry MT/TA), although briefly, John Young was in Asia. On the John Young live at the CRS album was a certain John Jowett, who led me into Jadis/IQ & Arena, and played on a rather well known album in these parts.

I rest my case M'Lud

Mikey

Which reminds me, I never did find my Live at CRS CD.
Good job I have it on the PC

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Mikey on March 12, 2016, 08:06:37 AM
For me, the biggest death in rock since Freddie Mercury. Couldn't believe it last night when the news scrolled across the bottom of the TV.
Why the biggest? Emmo was in ELP with Greg Lake. Greg Lake was in Asia (Sorry MT/TA), although briefly, John Young was in Asia. On the John Young live at the CRS album was a certain John Jowett, who led me into Jadis/IQ & Arena, and played on a rather well known album in these parts.

I rest my case M'Lud

That's a rather convoluted reason for lamenting the demise of Mr Emerson (although apologies accepted re: Asia).

But if nothing else, it rather obliquely brings up the so-called Sabbath number, i.e. the number of such links that a musician is away from Black Sabbath. In this, it's similar to the more famous Bacon number, which documents the number of links an actor is from Kevin Bacon, and the Erdös number, which documents the number of steps in academic papers linking someone to famous mathematician Paul Erdös.

FWIW, I have a Sabbath number of 7, Bacon number of 3, and Erdös number of 3, yielding a combined EBS number of 13. Probably: the Sabbath & Erdös numbers are secure, but the Bacon number goes via Neil Armstrong in a rather odd way, so ...

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/whats-your-erdos-bacon-sabbath-number

Anyone else care to play?

owen

Media Tart, indeed ::) ::)  ;)

Actually Keith Emerson's death feels the worst of all of the recent legends. Not only because of his music, but the sadness that he felt he had to commit suicide. RIP

Mikey

If I hadn't been a big fan of ELP, I may not have ended up here...........................What's that you say? ;D
Unfortunately the back step to the Nice was soured by Davy O'List.
(See tales of the mothster)

Rook

I have a Sabbath Number of 2 and a Bacon number of 3, but I don't know my Erdös number. Maybe once I have furthered my math studies...

owen

manoncharles

2016 is just stupid.
A fairytale in negative

Mikey

rogerg

Prince of sadness and purple rain.

the doves are crying.

manoncharles

No more purple rain...
A fairytale in negative