Main Menu

R.I.P.

Started by Mikey, November 18, 2011, 05:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

sigh. 

and I don't see any reason that 2017 should be any better.  everybody's getting old(er).  :(

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on December 08, 2016, 11:02:00 PM
Also John Glenn. Obvious not prog  but having just read his obit Joe Cool. I don't know if He was ever lucky enough to meet TA but he'd done everything else. RIP

The pleasure would all have been mine, had the opportunity arisen, but sadly it did not.

I've always been quite amused by the way that Glenn's Dudley Do-Right persona was portrayed in The Right Stuff, as played by Ed Harris, at least relative to some of the other more colourful characters amongst the Mercury 7.

But anyone strapping themselves to a repurposed ICBM with a pretty dubious reputation for reliability has my utmost admiration, and to go back and fly on the shuttle at 77, well, that's pretty special.

owen

Mikey

I used to have a signature

D S

Allan Holdsworth RIP. :(
Never a household name but Holdsworth was a totally unique guitarist who influenced many, including Eddie Van Halen. He played with the likes of UK, Bruford and even (like Nathan) Level 42.
I was lucky enough to see him live and despite me playing guitar for many years, it was like he was speaking in another language to the one I know. Totally over my head but awe inspiring nonetheless.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

rogerg

owen

rogerg

sawtooth

I know. Ater year of thinking I really ought to buy some of their records, I've only just round to getting The Best Of Sleely Dan as a means of easing my way into the world of Fagen & Becker. I will certainly invest in more full albums though.

owen

Tom Petty. I suppose it would be difficult to be less prog than him but I could, and do, listen to his songs for hours. RIP

rogerg

D S

Tom knew how to write the perfect pop / rock song.  Free Fallin' is basically just the same 3 chords for the whole song but it's a classic.  :(
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mordwin

Just as fellow Wilbury Dylan was one of the greatest American song writers of his generation, so Tom was of his. A man that could conjure so much from so little. RIP.

owen

Fast Eddie Clarke

RIP the classic Motörhead, all gone now  :-[

Mikey

Quote from: Mikey on March 11, 2016, 08:41:25 PM
Keith Emerson
☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been going to do this since I found the podcast, which is now some time ago.
Cracking show by Andy Tillison
Well worth a listen

If only from about 58 minutes in for a commentary on Tarkus

Podcast
I used to have a signature