Main Menu

UK Reunion Tour

Started by Nev, December 11, 2011, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danofmayz

Wish I was around to see the line-up with Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth! Allan is one of my favourite musicians and, having dealt with Bill professionally, know that he is a great guy as well as a superlative drummer.
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

Nev

Quote from: "danofmayz"Wish I was around to see the line-up with Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth

I was fortunate to see that line-up at Newcastle City Hall. According to this site, that was 04 May 1978.

I briefly met Bill Bruford back-stage afterwards and he was really nice, especially considering I was a 13 year old brat.
My memory (such as it is) was that it was an incredible concert.  I just wish I had been older so that I could have appreciated it even better.

I hope I get the chance to see one of the European gigs, which is why I am closely monitoring the announcements of confirmed dates.

danofmayz

Quote from: "Nev"
Quote from: "danofmayz"Wish I was around to see the line-up with Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth

I was fortunate to see that line-up at Newcastle City Hall. According to this site, that was 04 May 1978.

I briefly met Bill Bruford back-stage afterwards and he was really nice, especially considering I was a 13 year old brat.
My memory (such as it is) was that it was an incredible concert.  I just wish I had been older so that I could have appreciated it even better.

I hope I get the chance to see one of the European gigs, which is why I am closely monitoring the announcements of confirmed dates.

That's great. It was a great time for 'jazz-rock'. Bill is a great guy. I booked him for a drum clinic in 2006 and was just great to work with.

I work with Tony Wright who played sax for IQ and Big Big Train, among others. And he played with Holdsworth in the mid to late seventies in Southampton with a great guitarist who died called Guy Swinstead. This was before Holdsworth emigrated to the US.
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

E.S.

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "Nev"...and the Oslo date
I think we've determined that no-one goes to Oslo :cry:
Only when I'm broke and have no chance to afford it.  :cry:

Nev

I've just read on the Zealot's Lounge that 6 European dates have been added to the tour.

U.S. and Japan line-up will be the trio:

Eddie Jobson:  Keyboards/Electric Violin
John Wetton:  Bass/Vocals
Terry Bozzio:  Drums

The European dates will be with the following line-up:

Eddie Jobson:  Keyboards/Electric Violin
John Wetton:  Bass/Vocals
Alex Machacek:  Guitar
Gary Husband:  Drums

May 02 - Showcase Live - Boston, USA
May 04 - The Highline Ballroom, New York, USA
May 06 - Sound Stage - Baltimore, USA
May 08 - World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, USA
May 10 - Le Cabaret du Capitole - Québec, Canada
May 11 - The Gesù Amphitheatre, Montréal, Canada
May 14 - The Triple Door, Seattle, USA
May 17 - Aladdin Theater - Portland, USA
May 18 - The Regency Ballroom, San Francisco, USA
May 21 - Mesa Arts Center - Phoenix, USA

May 24 - London, UK (venue to be announced)
May 26 - Zoetermeer - Amsterdam, Netherlands
May 27 - Aschaffenberg - Frankfurt, Germany
May 28 - Berlin, Germany (venue to be announced)
May 29 - Prague, Czech Republic (venue to be announced)
May 30 - Krakow, Poland (venue to be anounced)

June 15 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan
June 16 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan
June 17 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan

(additions in blue)

So no Oslo or Madrid  :(

turbo

london date now confirmed 24/05/12 at under the bridge [chelsea] bought two tickets through the zealots lounge £38 each, sounds a bit steep but if you go through the venue its the same price without vip status so not too bad.  :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Nev

Quote from: "turbo"london date now confirmed 24/05/12 at under the bridge [chelsea] bought two tickets through the zealots lounge £38 each, sounds a bit steep but if you go through the venue its the same price without vip status so not too bad.  :D

Nice one  :)

It now looks as though I won't get to any, either because of lack of work (and no money) or possibly too much work and tight deadlines.  It's either feast or famine, usually the latter  :?

Nev

A final round up with what has been confirmed so far.

JOBSON - WETTON - BOZZIO Lineup
May 01 - The Vic Theater - Chicago, USA $65 / $95 (VIP)
May 02 - Showcase Live - Boston, USA  $50 / $75 (VIP)
May 04 - The Highline Ballroom - New York, USA  $50 / $100 (VIP) All tickets SOLD OUT
May 06 - Sound Stage - Baltimore, USA  $50 / $75 (VIP)
May 07 - World Cafe Live at The Queen - Wilmington, USA  $60 / $90 (VIP)
May 08 - World Cafe Live - Philadelphia, USA  $50 / $65 (mezzanine) / $95 (VIP) All tickets SOLD OUT
May 10 - Le Cabaret du Capitole - Québec, Canada  $74.50
May 11 - Gesù Amphitheatre - Montréal, Canada  $65 / $95 (VIP) All tickets SOLD OUT
May 12 - Sound Academy - Toronto, Canada  $50 / $75 / $100 (VIP)
May 14 - The Triple Door - Seattle, USA  $55 / $100 (VIP)
May 17 - Aladdin Theater - Portland, USA  $39.50 / $100 (VIP)
May 18 - Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, USA  $65 / $79 / $99
May 20 - The El Rey Theater - Los Angeles, USA  $65 / $95
May 21 - Mesa Arts Center - Phoenix, USA  $67 / $81 / $97 (VIP)

JOBSON - WETTON - MACHACEK - HUSBAND Lineup

May 24 - Under The Bridge - London, England  $61
May 26 - De Boerderij - Zoetermeer, Netherlands  $45
May 27 - Colos-Saal - Aschaffenberg, Germany  $40
May 29 - Lucerna Music Bar - Prague, Czech Republic  $64
May 30 - Klub Studio - Krakow, Poland  $38

JOBSON - WETTON - BOZZIO Lineup

June 14 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan  ¥9,500
June 15 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan  ¥9,500 All tickets SOLD OUT
June 16 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan  ¥9,500 All tickets SOLD OUT
June 17 - Club Citta - Tokyo, Japan  ¥9,500 All tickets SOLD OUT
June 19 - Namba Hatch - Osaka, Japan  ¥9,500

As the first show is tomorrow, I would guess that there will be no more changes / additions.

Good luck Eddie (or should that be "break a leg", or is that just theatre, I can never remember).  I hope everything goes swimmingly with no unforeseen / unpleasant suprises.

Nev

A couple of videos have been uploaded to youtube.  I don't know how long they will last but they give me a taste of what is going on:

At Chicago; "Alaska / Night After Night"

In New York; "The Only Thing She Needs" I love Terry Bozzio's energy on this  :D

fitzy

Quote from: "Nev"A couple of videos have been uploaded to youtube.  I don't know how long they will last but they give me a taste of what is going on:

At Chicago; "Alaska / Night After Night"

In New York; "The Only Thing She Needs" I love Terry Bozzio's energy on this  :D
Great clips,brilliant band... ;)
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

turbo

wow realy great show last night,i cant beleive its thirty years since i last saw them well worth the wait though, eddie was brilliant and johns voice was just superb a truly fantastic night, one of the best gigs ive been to for ages.   :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Trapezium Artist

Oh, missed this before. Am I supposed to go to my local, De Boerderij, tomorrow night and see them?

Not an entirely rhetorical question: there's a big UK-sized lacuna in my musical knowledge, so I'm not really sure I'd know what to expect / whether I'd like what I'd hear.

Wetton I only really know through Asia (yes, sorry), although I'm aware of his other connections.

Jobson I know of too, even to the extent of his infamous momentary joining of Yes and appearance in the OOALH video. I know he's primarily a keyboard player, but really am not a fan of his other instrument, the violin, in rock / prog settings (not much of a fan of it when played solo in classical settings either).

And Bozzio I only know by name and his employment of a jolly large number of drums.

So, fellow Frost*ies: to go, or not to go? Despite what I've said above, I'm completely neutral: convince me  8-)

Edit: seems like I shouldn't need any convincing, if only because no-one else seems to need it: De Boerderij is sold out tomorrow ...  :(

Edit 2: Sorry, making a bit of a hash of this: I see that the Boerderij line-up is Wetton, Jobson, Machachek, and Husband, so my comments about Bozzio are irrelevant.

Nev

Go, GO, GO!!!!!!

Although you may not be a fan of the violin, the way Eddie plays and it and mangles the sound, it is an entirely unique experience.

Quotehis infamous momentary joining of Yes and appearance in the OOALH video

There are not that many people (I guess) that are aware of his appearances in the video.  they are very brief and the one the top of the building is with his back to the camera.

I'm kicking myself for not being able to go last night, but the combination of funds (or lack of) and distance made it unfeasible.

If nothing else it will probably be the last time to see this.  Although some of the last UK songs pointed in the direction of Asia (yes, 'Nothing to Lose', I'm looking at you).  They hold up brilliantly after 30 years (I play both of the studio albums often and they still sound great).  I know I am a bit biased, but all reports have been glowing.  It's a chance you can't miss... so....

Go, GO, GO!!!!!!

Nev

Quote from: "turbo"wow realy great show last night,i cant beleive its thirty years since i last saw them well worth the wait though, eddie was brilliant and johns voice was just superb a truly fantastic night, one of the best gigs ive been to for ages.   :D

Glad you enjoyed it.   :D  :D

I'm not jealous at all   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:  ;)

turbo

if you ever get the chance to see this band in the future you MUSTgo they realy are that good.  :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"