The Craig Blundell Question Hour?

Started by RobRideout, January 13, 2012, 02:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blunders73

Quote from: "Fogeyspasm"And how many socks over the mics for that muffled effect?

I don't use socks, I like to bury them under about 3-4 feet of topsoil and insert a 12" concrete base, obviously not forgetting to insert the XLR

Blunders73

Quote from: "Pedro"There do not appear to be any YouTube videos of you playing spoons....why is that? Is it because Premier and Roland don't make them?

I really like the 2k that spoons give in a mix, often when I'm recording I use them instead of hi hats for a little bit more crunch

I'm doing a death metal tribute to the works of George Formby next month, this will be their first outing live

Blunders73

Quote from: "JimD"Imagine an e-Spoon!  How cool would that be?  You could probably go from ladle to tablespoon to teaspoon with just one piece of e-cutlery, and stir things without them getting wet! {edit - I feel I should explain that I was imagining what kind of spoons Roland might make}

Anyway, back on track - when gigging/recording/working do you transport your drumkits yourself, or are the kits transported by some other means?  I have made quite a mess of my poor old C1 transporting my fridge-sized bass rig around, but that's my only wheels, so needs must.

Oh a serious Question, hmmmmm

It depends where I am, what country etc. For the forthcoming Clinic dates, the kit is custom made to my spec So it will be coming with me. When I'm in other countries, Premier/Roland will put in a kit for me. I like to travel with my own Cymbals, Pedals and SPD-Sx as its very personal in my set up

JimD

Ahh good.  Okay, now for something not so serious...erm (tries to be silly), given a choice of greenhouse, aluminium or wooden framed?
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Pedro

Obviously having tattoos is essentual  if a drummer is going to get to the top of their game, what images would you recommend and where should they be located?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

do you use special towels for your drool?

fitzy

Quote from: "rogerg"do you use special towels for your drool?
Falls about laughing.. :lol: Well,...do you Blunders!ha!ha!
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

Mouse

Quote from: "Blunders73"
Quote from: "Mouse"Hi, Craig. Mouse here. First time caller, long time listener. I was wondering just how many mics you don't use to get that 1960s Keith Moon drum sound and how far left or right do you pan it to give it that vintage lack of quality?

I realise that's two questions disguised as one, please forgive my eagerness.

Hi Mouse, thanks for tuning in and obviously for your questions

I like to use 1 mic for that authentic 60's sound, I normally set my kit up in my garage and close mic it from next door's greenhouse to give that slightly "distant" ambient effect.

Regarding panning, I always like to put all the kit hard left and drop all the bottom end and mids. I always find with this effect it keeps the passenger footwell warm as the heater is out on my B Reg Ford Sierra GL

I hope that helps?

Yes. Yes, it does. Thank you.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

E.S.

Quote from: "Pedro"Obviously having tattoos is essentual  if a drummer is going to get to the top of their game, what images would you recommend and where should they be located?
Yes, I want to know too. AFAIK, Portnoy uses a very specific amount of ink to balance his limbs to be able to play DT songs.
Is this true? If yes, what tattoos are needed to play the second half of BLM at concert tempo?

rogerg

I've heard that there are some new ultra-light inks that allow you to have more coverage with less weight.

Pedro

Quote from: "rogerg"allow you to have more coverage with less weight
I'd like to have that...

Do they do flesh-coloured inks?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

El_Mayonnaise

Dear Crag,

Hi Crag, why have you not yet been invited to touch Jem's keyboard? From my past previous watchings of gigs, many Frost people touch the keyboard to produce what I can only describe as a fluting effect in the song Milliontonnes.

When can we expect you to touch Jem's flute?

Many sincerities,
RIch

owen

Dear Craig

I believe the Yakuza have a policy of cutting off a finger for any member who makes a mistake. As an educational exercise, do you think should be applied to guitarists, too?

Yrs

Owen

RobRideout

Dear Craig,

Obviously, as a drummer, your drumsticks will rarely leave your side. I was therefore wondering what other household tasks you would perform using these wonderful tools, and do you use a specific kind of stick for a certain job?

From Rob.
Aged 21 and a half.

johninblack

Dear Craig,

Drum kit made out of Lego or drum kit made from Meccano? Pros and cons please :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"