Hello Frosties*

Started by danofmayz, January 27, 2012, 10:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danofmayz

Hello all.

I'm new here and would like to introduce myself - (Without sounding like I'm at an AA meeting)

I'm Dan. I'm a musician, guitar teacher and journalist from Portsmouth, UK. Been a Frost* fan since the start and, for some reason, never got on here to discuss their wondrous sounds.

Any help showing me round would be greatly appreciated.

-all deep joy and thorkus for great laugh'n tittery. O yes.
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

johninblack

Quote from: "danofmayz"Any help showing me round would be greatly appreciated.

The biscuits are on the table, help yourself. but if you finish them off you MUST replenish them or there will be trouble.
Think that's about it really. Welcome and enjoy you're time here :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

E.S.

danofmayz

Thanks for the replies!

I'll try not to eat all the chocolate biscuits!

:D

Pedro

Welcome aboard. :)

Besides the aforementioned biscuit rule and (of course) the universal "don't come here trying to annoy folks" rule, the only other hard and fast rule we have ever had direct from Jem is a complete and vigorously enforced ban on "Now Playing" threads.

But never mind that, did you know that 'MRDA' is an abbreviation for "Mandy Rice-Davies Applies"? It is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" - used to indicate cynicism of a statement of fact due to the obvious bias of the person stating the fact.

The acronym comes from The Profumo Affair, a 1963 political scandal in the United Kingdom. While giving evidence at the trial of Stephen Ward, charged with living off the immoral earnings of Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies, Rice-Davies made a quip for which she is now best remembered. When the prosecuting counsel pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or having even met her, she replied, "Well, he would, wouldn't he?".
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

sawtooth

Quote from: "Pedro"Welcome aboard. :)

Besides the aforementioned biscuit rule and (of course) the universal "don't come here trying to annoy folks" rule, the only other hard and fast rule we have ever had direct from Jem is a complete and vigorously enforced ban on "Now Playing" threads.

But never mind that, did you know that 'MRDA' is an abbreviation for "Mandy Rice-Davies Applies"? It is Internet slang meaning "well he would say that, wouldn't he?" - used to indicate cynicism of a statement of fact due to the obvious bias of the person stating the fact.

The acronym comes from The Profumo Affair, a 1963 political scandal in the United Kingdom. While giving evidence at the trial of Stephen Ward, charged with living off the immoral earnings of Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies, Rice-Davies made a quip for which she is now best remembered. When the prosecuting counsel pointed out that Lord Astor denied an affair or having even met her, she replied, "Well, he would, wouldn't he?".

Good stuff Pedders - hit 'im with a thread derail before he get's too comfortable....  :lol:
Welcome to the forum danofmayz - hope you enjoy!

Mikey

Welcome aboard

& Derail? have we got a train fetish?
I used to have a signature

Trapezium Artist

Which raises the following question: when talking about (one of) the standard mechanism(s) used on a bicycle for changing gears, should one go with the original French "derailleur" or, in a strange kind of inverse snobbery, go instead with the Anglicised "derailler?"

Either way, Pedro is most definitely a serial derailleur / derailler. This should be his avatar (mmm, daftly over-priced carbon fibre  8-) ):

danofmayz

Quote from: "Mikey"Welcome aboard

& Derail? have we got a train fetish?

??????

El_Mayonnaise

We have a ban on now playing threads?

As in, what are you currently playing on your stereo?

I did not know this.

catherine

Welcome, Dan!

And, TA, the bike part is definitely a "derailleur".  Pedro's more of a "completely-off-the-rails-er".

So, Dan, what's your favourite biscuit?  

And did you know that The Woman In The Septic Tank (Tagalog: ''Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank''), a 2011 Filipino comedy independent film, released in August, grossed 38.4 million pesos, becoming the highest grossing Filipino independent film in the history of cinema?

Pedro

One might expect a lot of gross with a title like that....

danofmayz

QuoteSo, Dan, what's your favourite biscuit?

I'm quite partial to a Garibaldi (Not Tower of Power's drummer) but at the mo, probably a Cadburys Chocolate finger.  :)

Pedro

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "catherine"And, TA, the bike part is definitely a "derailleur".  

Now hold on there, young woman. What do you mean it is definitely a derailleur?

Definitely in the sense that you can demonstrate that the word "derailler" simply doesn't exist or in the sense that you won't broach fiddling around with the pseudo-sophisticated Frenchisms that pepper our admittedly infinitely flexible language?

Of course, in a way, you're right about "derailler": it should be "derailer" with a single "l", according to the estimable Sheldon Brown, who any self-respecting bike rider should, err, respect (if only for his beard: hold on, is he in fact our Rog's brother?!):

//http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

As for the latter point, well, even if I'm no friend of many of the more bizarre ways that our trans-atlantic cousins have chosen to defrogify the, err, English language (I mean, "color"; completely beyond the pale  ;) ), I nevertheless recall a small diatribe in one of Richard Dawkins' books (I think) about the use of "programme" by we Brits, when "program" had a long and perfectly respectable history  in English before someone saw fit to append a continental "look at ME!".  

Err, where we again?