Main Menu

New Album Direction

Started by Arenarec, February 05, 2012, 01:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arenarec

It will be interesting to see which direction Jem takes with this new album.
Depending on the day, I go back and forth on which of the first two was better.  The debut was certainly more "progressive rock" in some sense, and had brilliant moments, but EIMA was more song oriented, to the point, and more focused to a degree.  I also thought the addition of Dec Burke on the second album gave the album a whole new dimension because of his range.  Ok.....I think I just talked myself into EIMA being my favorite. (slightly!)
Subsequently, when he released The Dividing Line, I have to be honest, at the risk of being slammed for not being a fan boy, that song did nothing for me.  It was too eclectic and scattered for my taste.
I am hoping Jem takes what was done on the first two and takes it to the next step instead of taking a hard left.  I am also looking forward to hearing the result of using some larger studios for some of the recording....that can tend to take things like drums etc to the next level.

Pedro

Well I don't see any need for any slamming, personal preferences are many and varied. I think of albums much like paintings, where some artists always paint the same sorts of things while others never paint the same thing twice.
I think TDL was almost a stream of consciousness thing, where Jem just let it happen and if I really had to rank it relative to the albums I would place it above EIMA but below Milliontown....but I'd rather just put them all in the collection and admire them.
One thing's for sure, we know that Jem won't be influenced by what we say. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Jem has implied that the next release will likely be more into electronica territory. There's a hint of glitch in Black Light Machine, plenty of 'fun with sounds' on EIMA, and coming off of his work on the new Losers album, plus the inclusion of dubstep wunderkind Blunders in the Frost* line-up would seem to indicate where he's heading musically. He previously stated that if he did a third Frost* album, it might sound something like the "Disappear Here" album by Hybrid. Get thee to YouTube and watch "Break My Soul" by Hybrid for a taste. It's dynamic, haunting stuff. Suggesting there'll be a bit of signature Frost* sound in the mix, the band Pendulum also come to mind. Track through the Immersion album.

In short, not prog.  :D
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

True enough....but when has anything Jem's said been that closely related to what he actually does in the end? ;)

E.S.

I'd say that's way more prog than prog rock. ;)

danofmayz

I heard it was going to be Ragga??!!!  :D
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

Arenarec

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"it might sound something like the "Disappear Here" album by Hybrid. Get thee to YouTube and watch "Break My Soul" by Hybrid for a taste. It's dynamic, haunting stuff. Suggesting there'll be a bit of signature Frost* sound in the mix, the band Pendulum also come to mind. Track through the Immersion album.

In short, not prog.  :D

I don't dislike Hybrid......but they are void of the rock gene.  There are similarities to Hybrid on both of the previous 2 Frost albums.....a little techno, electronica, loops. etc... but with a rock treatment.  Plus I think Jem has a much better sense of melody than Hybrid.    
I for one am hoping and praying influences of The Losers don't creep too far in.  From what I have heard of The Losers, it is completely void of soul and musicality......much of it sounds like those demo songs you hear in any consumer electronic keyboard or cheesy synth workstation.  Very sequenced, quantized, and mechanical.   But as Pedro says.....it's all about personal taste.  He also hit it on the head with two other points.....first, where Jem starts is never where he ends up......(thank god he isn't an airline pilot).....and secondly, there is little chance he will ever be influenced by anything anyone else says, which is precisely why we have two great Frost albums already.  
I am a bit different than some in that I am not one to dig everything an artist does just because I have always been a fan.
I am hoping Frost still sounds very Frost.  I liken it to any other band......fill in the blanks......take Rush as an example.....some of their albums have been very different than the rest of their body of work, but at the end of the day, like the songs or not, it is still very much Rush in every regard.  If Rush suddenly had Mandolins and Banjos on a record, it many ways it would cease to be Rush and would attract a completely different audience.

danofmayz

Jem is talented enough to take a crap on his keyboard and make it sound good so, i'm not worried at all. Just very excited!

danofmayz

QuoteI for one am hoping and praying influences of The Losers don't creep too far in. From what I have heard of The Losers, it is completely void of soul and musicality......much of it sounds like those demo songs you hear in any consumer electronic keyboard or cheesy synth workstation. Very sequenced, quantized, and mechanical.

Maybe a naked man in a field playing the lute would suit you better?

Pedro

danofmayz

Quote from: "Pedro":shock:

:lol:

fitzy

I loved both albums.I thought TDL was the most exciting,well constructed pieces of musical mayhem i,d heard in ages.I think the influence of Jem,s stated musical preferences lately,his work with The Losers,and things like Craig,s DR.Oktopus leanings coupled with everything he,s done before make the prospect of something diffferent,and wonderful very likely!I,m really not fussed if its a slight departure,i,m just enjoying the trip!
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

Arenarec

Quote from: "danofmayz"
QuoteI for one am hoping and praying influences of The Losers don't creep too far in. From what I have heard of The Losers, it is completely void of soul and musicality......much of it sounds like those demo songs you hear in any consumer electronic keyboard or cheesy synth workstation. Very sequenced, quantized, and mechanical.

Dude....that's just gross.....I don't swing that way, but thanks for the offer.  :roll:

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Arenarec"

Dude....that's just gross.....I don't swing that way, but thanks for the offer.  :roll:

Sorry, don't follow: independent of anyone's sexuality, why is the image of a naked man in a field playing a lute gross? If anything, it's funny. In fact, couldn't be more prog ...  8-)

danofmayz

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"
Quote from: "Arenarec"

Sorry, don't follow: independent of anyone's sexuality, why is the image of a naked man in a field playing a lute gross? If anything, it's funny. In fact, couldn't be more prog ...  8-)

I'm glad someone got the joke! :)