More sampling help...

Started by Villuccikeys, February 22, 2012, 08:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Villuccikeys

Okay. I've got my fantom G7 here. I've formatted the usb stick and shoved my AIFF/wav files into it in the IMPORT folder. When I connect it to the fantom, it shows that the files are on the stick, but when I try to import them, it just says "illegal file."

Anyone know why this might be?

E.S.

Have you done an OS update? This used to happen on earlier versions.

Also I highly recommend the RolandClan forums. Not loading at the moment, but they have covered most problems in the past, hopefully yours too. :)

Pedro

I don't have any experiences of that hardware but a fairly common problem with such things is if the filenames are not in the (ages old) "8.3" format....like "BIG_BANG.WAV". Some (badly implemented) systems can't handle "long" filenames.

The other guess I have is that there are sometimes different "flavours" of the standard file formats. So one machine's "*.WAV" might be different to another's in a way that upsets it somehow.

Guesses over, hopefully others will have direct experience. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Pedro

Did some Googling...

QuoteYou cannot just use the wav/aiff files this way, you have to put the files to the /TMP/AUDIO_IMPORT directory, and then use Sample Import (Audio Import in MENU) to convert the samples to the Fantom's internal format.

If you put the files in /ROLAND/SMPL, they are not converted. And you can't use non-converted files in your Fantom.

Hope that makes sense...

E.S.

That must be an earlier Fantom? The directories don't match, and there's no conversion going on that I know of.

Pedro

Ah...careless googling costs lives...
I see Jem is back on Twitter (at least for a bit)...I put down some bait to see if he can help here...  :)

Villuccikeys

Thanks guys. You didn't have to go so out of your way ;)

johninblack

Quote from: "Villuccikeys"Thanks guys. You didn't have to go so out of your way ;)
You're right, they didn't HAVE to help. That's the nature of people around here. :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

E.S.

Also make sure your samples are converted to 44.1k/16bit.

If that's not the problem, I'll go with the bug from the earlier OS version, if you have anything older than v.1.30.

Mikey

Quote from: "johninblack"
Quote from: "Villuccikeys"Thanks guys. You didn't have to go so out of your way ;)
You're right, they didn't HAVE to help. That's the nature of people around here. :)
Indeed it is  :D
Some top Frosties* about
I used to have a signature

El_Mayonnaise

Sometimes it's sickening how helpful this forum is  :D

Villuccikeys

Quote from: "E.S."Also make sure your samples are converted to 44.1k/16bit.

If that's not the problem, I'll go with the bug from the earlier OS version, if you have anything older than v.1.30.

Both of those details seem to be in order... hmm....

owen

Is it because these illegal files are called something like "Mass murder for beginners" or "Money laundering made easy"? Only, no matter what you do the FBI has strict rules concerning that.

Villuccikeys

Ok. I fixed some errors and have run into new ones. Does anybody know why when I sample this file (wav, 44.1, 16-bit) it has static alternating on both channels? I've been able to sample one thing perfectly. So, I think I'm making progress..

Villuccikeys

Quote from: "Villuccikeys"Ok. I fixed some errors and have run into new ones. Does anybody know why when I sample this file (wav, 44.1, 16-bit) it has static alternating on both channels? I've been able to sample one thing perfectly. So, I think I'm making progress..

Man, that guy was an idiot. Thank God *I* know how to sample. ;)