Tony Banks, Six Pieces for Orchestra

Started by Brom, May 02, 2012, 08:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brom

The Genesis keys man was on Simon Mayo's show on Radio 2 yesterday if you caught it? Quite a decent chunk of chat driven by his new "classical" recording - 'Six Pieces for Orchestra'. (Original title eh??) I think this should be available on the BBC listen again web page?

The snippet they played sounded quite melodic and full, if that makes sense. Further research indicates that people are calling it Film or TV music with melody and in general it seems to be not getting a bad ride so far.

Seeing as

1: Miss Brom loves film music and her main instruments are the violin and sax - which are the two main instruments on at least some of TB's score.
2: I liked what was played last nite,
3: It's available from Amazon at £4.99!

I'll be placing an order later.  :)
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

MarkOneMusic

Got his previous orchestral work* (Seven - A Suite for Orchestra) hmmm Am I detecting a pattern here? Will the next one have a five in it? ;)

It's nice, typical Banksian melodies, interesting harmonic progressions.

If you are interested, his previous foray into orchestral work prior to that was the soundtrack to the rather terrible 1983 movie The Wicked Lady (Michael Winner's remake of the much better 1945 movie staring Margaret Lockwood and James Mason.

It's interesting in that one side of the album is Tony's arrangements played on synths and the other is the actual orchestral arrangements that appeared in the movie.

*Let's be honest.  We have pretty much EVERYTHING Mr Banks ever recorded. On Vinyl and CD.  Often in multiple variants from different territories, Including various white label rarities Mrs One bought back in the 80s when she was a regular buyer of Record Collector magazine. (My credit card still shudders with the memories)

RacingHippo

I caught the back-end of the interview*

It sounds rather Vaughn-Williamsy to me.
Which, in my book, is a Good Thing.

* Eating tea with Pygmy Hippo & Hippess, radio burbling in the background, nice-sounding orchestral piece comes on, I make a note to listen to who it was.....
"ARGH! EVERYBODY QUIET! IT'S TONY BANKS!"
"Who?"
I explained to Pygmy that this was the keysman who inspired Jem to take up ivory-tickling: "Whoa, awesome!"
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

5 minute video on the Amazon page, where it is now £5.77 and available in 1 to 4 weeks(??)

//http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalink/m2RHLEKUDJ6FWC/ref=ent_fb_link

I liked "Seven" (not that I play it a lot) and I like Mr. Banks and his work...even if some tiny parts of it get a little "cringey".
I'll get this...one day.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

L33VEY

Bought it from the mighty Amazonians as soon as I saw the article in Prog.
As this type of thing only gets an airing at the weekend, it hasn't been played yet....
I'm sure it will sooth my Sunday morning   ;)

Didn't want to advertise it here in case the price automatically went up  :lol:
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age