Main Menu

The Instrumentals

Started by tomskerous, November 29, 2008, 12:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

Watching some of the Frost* Reports now, having heard the stuff "a few times" (sorry to those who haven't yet) I'm really enjoying connecting the bits we got to hear back then with the finished tracks.
It's quite surprising the level of detail that goes in to the creation process that ends up not being *obvious* in the final pieces until several listens in or maybe only gets noticed in the instrumental or even only where Jem has pointed them out, like some of the guitar work in "Toys" or the liquid vocals in "Secret Song".
Marvellous!  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Sean

You know I'm glad he Jem gave us the instrumental, the other night 2 of my friends and I got drunk and put that in the cd player. There's nothing like 3 drunk guys trying to hit high notes and sing the wrong lyrics for the song. I still can't remember large chunks of that night though.... On a more serious note, I wish that I had the instrumental for the "Secret Song", but having the instrumentals makes it easier to transcribe the songs.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

tomskerous

As I've previously said re Belinda, I'm a bit cloth-eared, but I thought I detected 'the choir of chaps' in among the instrumentals. Which is surely No2 in the list of Mellotron cliches...
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Dave M

have to say I love listening to the instrumentals as much as the main tracks ... Thanks Jem what a spankingly great idea !
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RWA

Due to a hectic schedule and the late arrival of the discs I had the first listen to the instrumentals today.

Quote from: "Tricky"I think it was Livingforever who noted that the instrumentals seem to be mixed differently, or maybe its just the extra space in the mix.  I'd agree.  I can hear so much more of the underlying twiddly bits in all the songs;
Word! I love that.  :D

Quote from: "Tricky"especially Wonderland - those extra vocal parts just don't show up in the regular mix   ;)  :shock:  :)
"I bet you weren't expecting this!" :lol:

I wonder if this will ever be performed live!  :shock:

wickedwitch

they are very soothing to have on in the morning with toast and tea. x

TonyB

Hadn't actually gotten round to listening to Wonderland as an instrumental yet..

It has actually made my day...Bloody brilliant. Especially the "Chipmunks do Lo-fi" bit  :mrgreen:

And there was me pissing myself about the bit in Welcome to nowhere..!!

As mad as a spoon...it's official
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

TonyB

Quote from: "Fogeyspasm"i left the cd on in the car and it was on the quiet intro to Welcome to Nowhere turned up quite loud and she managed to get around 100 yards before armageddon ensued from the speakers.

I actually just laughed out loud when I read that :)
I may have made the same mistake (it's not really a mistake though is it... ;) )
"I bet you weren\'t expecting this!!"

L33VEY

Quote from: "Dave M"have to say I love listening to the instrumentals as much as the main tracks ... Thanks Jem what a spankingly great idea !

Here Hear.  Just listened to them for the first time.  Always a bit wary of instrumentals, but these work brilliantly having heard the full thing first.  Wonder if other artists could get away with it, or would this show the lack of depth in some things around?
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

tomskerous

By the way, was going through the hard disk and found this Peel T-shirt that never was:

some of you will, of course, now be familiar with its origin...
I said no.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Brom

Quote from: "tomskerous"By the way, was going through the hard disk and found this Peel T-shirt that never was:

some of you will, of course, now be familiar with its origin...

Err... If you think you're going to get a duck on Valentine's Day, you'd better think again? - maybe?
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

eviani

I FINALLY got around to listening to these.

Wonderland made my friend and I laugh so hard we started crying.  A wonderful little surprise.

tomskerous

Quote from: "Brom"Err... If you think you're going to get a duck on Valentine's Day, you'd better think again? - maybe?

That's not a duck. Have a closer gander.
I said no.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Gandalf1986

That's a flirting goose!
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]