Main Menu

Your HIFI Rig

Started by Captain Reg, November 29, 2008, 01:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

Mine's a bit poorly at the moment - the recent arrival of both EIMA and Insurgentes and my inability to listen to either without the CD player skipping horribly has made me think that it's time to go out and buy a new CD player. (to go with my faithful old workhorse of a NAD 3020 amp - still going strong after >20 years and my NXT flat panel speakers (bargain from Richer Sounds a few years back)

Brom

Quote from: "catherine"Mine's a bit poorly at the moment - the recent arrival of both EIMA and Insurgentes and my inability to listen to either without the CD player skipping horribly has made me think that it's time to go out and buy a new CD player. (to go with my faithful old workhorse of a NAD 3020 amp - still going strong after >20 years and my NXT flat panel speakers (bargain from Richer Sounds a few years back)

The old NAD 3020, sigh, Mine is also 20 plus years old! I retired it fairly recently as it developed some annoying crackles. I know what the problem is, however it was easier to buy another amp than take it apart and fix it. Another one of those time/cost tradeoffs!

Hav'nt thrown it away though!  ;)
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Tricky

Quote from: "Brom"
Quote from: "catherine"Mine's a bit poorly at the moment - the recent arrival of both EIMA and Insurgentes and my inability to listen to either without the CD player skipping horribly has made me think that it's time to go out and buy a new CD player. (to go with my faithful old workhorse of a NAD 3020 amp - still going strong after >20 years and my NXT flat panel speakers (bargain from Richer Sounds a few years back)

The old NAD 3020, sigh, Mine is also 20 plus years old! I retired it fairly recently as it developed some annoying crackles. I know what the problem is, however it was easier to buy another amp than take it apart and fix it. Another one of those time/cost tradeoffs!

Hav'nt thrown it away though!  ;)

Never mind that: did you know...
NAD Electronics (NAD originally was an acronym for New Acoustic Dimension) is a Canadian producer of low-cost home audiophile amplifiers and components owned by the Lenbrook Group of Pickering, Ontario, Canada. Its most famous product is the late-1970s NAD 3020 amplifier, designed by Bjørn Erik Edvardsen, which became a staple of low-budget Hi-Fi in Britain, where the company was originally founded in London by Martin Borish.
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

EVP

Right now I just play back through my studio monitors connected to my FW interface.
I have a high quality external word clock keeping things in check and the interface
has had all of it's analog i/o and converters upgraded to high quality stuff.
I just play cd's on my Macbook right now.

I am looking at getting some kind of 5.1 system. I've already got a multi format
player picked out,now I just need the right receiver to decode SACD properly.
I certainly don't plan on spending too much if I can help it.

Dave M

I've got a cassette player, at least 1 watt, it cost 50p at the car boot, to be honest I think I was done .. I cant seem to get it to play the EIMA CD !  :oops:

Its a Binatone .. bloody useless.
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Brom

Quote from: "Captain Reg"Yes the lights do dim when I turn it on actually..  ;)

I knew they would. It has always surprised me how a country like the USA can run on thin cables and 115V mains.

One nice thing about coming home after a business trip is our lovely chunky 13 Amp plugs.

240 Volts of the realm - that's real mans electricity !  ;)   ;) :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

catherine

Quote from: "Dave M"I've got a cassette player, at least 1 watt, it cost 50p at the car boot, to be honest I think I was done .. I cant seem to get it to play the EIMA CD !  :oops:

Its a Binatone .. bloody useless.

I know what your problem is, Dave.
CDs are round, with one hole in the middle.
Cassettes are rectangular, with 2 holes in them. Obviously you can't fit a CD into a hole for a cassette so it's no wonder it won't play.

What you need to do is:
Get a cassette, a Sharpie pen, masking tape, an electric drill and a jigsaw (the tool sort, not the puzzle in a box sort)
Cover the top surface of the CD with masking tape.
Put the cassette on top of the CD, positioning it carefully so that it's central as possible.
Draw round the outline of the cassette, and the 2 holes in the middle, using the Sharpie.
Take the cassette off the CD.
Very carefully, use the electric drill to drill the 2 holes you marked in the CD, then use the jigsaw to cut around the outline you drew.
Peel off the masking tape slowly.
Put your newly converted cassette-shaped CD into your cassette player and press Play.

Do let me know if this works...

RWA

Her's my bifi rig!  8-)

tomskerous

Quote from: "Dave M"Its a Binatone .. bloody useless.

Can you play that tennis game on it though?
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Dave M

catherine ... I need adult supervision when using sharp things, but it seems this could put me on the right track, however Tom has now given me a better idea, it may be easier to convert it to a tennis racket, though given it's lack of watts, probably more of a tennis quiet-bat !
 :lol:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

tomskerous

You're being hard on yourself. Here, have a dye laser...
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!