Main Menu

Jem's Interface

Started by Slntpsych1, November 29, 2008, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slntpsych1

This is only regarding his DAW mixer though. Jem, what is your DAW interface? Are you a strict Digidesign guy, and have their mixer also? I never got a really good look at it in the Frost Reports. The reason i'm asking is so i know what i can't afford. :lol: Other than that though, does anyone have any suggestions for a good DAW mixer? One thing though, i'm running on a PC, Vista Ultimate.

wickedwitch

i find that benefit do a great interface product. It comes in several different shades and doesnt make your nose look shiny.  oh sorry, were you being technical? damn. i'll get my cardi. xx

tomskerous

Drum'n'Bass Interface?

(sorry, as Pedro hadn't done it yet)
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

EVP

It's a Pro Tools HD3(?) system with either a 96i/o or a 192 i/o interface.
Mucho money but I'm sure it's more than paid for itself.

Diffidentia

Dunno what interface mister Cubey's got but I do have a suggestion for a DAW: Cubase SX3. That's the one I (ab)use. I'm pretty sure other lurkers are more than happy to tell you about other fabulous DAWs of their choice.

However...
Cubase Pros (+)
    Great midi support
    Great VST-support
    Good interface
    Industry Standard (along with PT)
    Easy to learn

Cons (-)
    Somewhat flawed OMF-support (in other words - it could be better)
    Costs a few bucks

RWA

Quote from: "Diffidentia"Dunno what interface mister Cubey's got but I do have a suggestion for a DAW: Cubase SX3. That's the one I (ab)use. I'm pretty sure other lurkers are more than happy to tell you about other fabulous DAWs of their choice.

However...
Cubase Pros (+)
    Great midi support
    Great VST-support
    Good interface
    Easy to learn

Cons (-)
    Costs a few bucks
Amen.
Well, I skipped SX3 going from SX 2 to Cubase 4. I tend to skip every other update to avoid a yearly (fairly costly) upgrade fest. Once every 2 or 3 years is fine by me.  ;)

Anyway, whatever works for you is my motto. I tell it peope all the time. Even to complete straingers trying to mind their own business. On the train and such. Airplanes are great for that because people can't go anywhere on those!  :mrgreen:

But seriously, whatever works for ya. It's good to see the variety. It also makes them lower prices.

rogerg

nevermind the interface, how about the outerface?

James_S

Quote from: "rogerg"nevermind the interface, how about the outerface?

Wouldn't that be the Cube itself?
So many keyboards, so little time!

Slntpsych1

Quote from: "Diffidentia"Dunno what interface mister Cubey's got but I do have a suggestion for a DAW: Cubase SX3. That's the one I (ab)use. I'm pretty sure other lurkers are more than happy to tell you about other fabulous DAWs of their choice.

However...
Cubase Pros (+)
    Great midi support
    Great VST-support
    Good interface
    Easy to learn

Cons (-)
    Costs a few bucks

Thanks for the answer, and i know he has Pro Tools HD for a DAW, but i wasn't sure what his mixer (thing with the slider knobs/channel strips) was. As for Cubase, what are the differences between SX3 and Cubase 4 that RWA was talking about. I looked up the price and it certainly does cost a pretty penny. The firewire mixer i'm looking at (not a Digi 003) is the Tascam FW-1884, has anyone had any experience with that interface? I looked at the Sound on Sound review and it looks like it got pretty good marks. Does anyone know of any other interfaces (like the Mackie Control Universal Pro) with similar specs that i could look at? Thanks a lot guys.

Pedro

I have the Tascam FW1082.
I can't say it's perfect but, for the price, the level of functionality is hard to beat.
It's probably the cost compromises that stop it from being "A1" but it's goos enough for the likes of me.
I think build quality is a recurring theme with Tascam gear (from what I read when researching this purchase) - when you get a good one you'll be quite happy, but you seem to need to be prepared to get it swapped at least once on the way.

I'd like to have gone all MAc and ProTools but the budget wouldn't go there. VAT drops tomorrow here in the UK.  :D

Hope you get sorted.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "Slntpsych1"Thanks for the answer, and i know he has Pro Tools HD for a DAW, but i wasn't sure what his mixer (thing with the slider knobs/channel strips) was. As for Cubase, what are the differences between SX3 and Cubase 4 that RWA was talking about. I looked up the price and it certainly does cost a pretty penny. The firewire mixer i'm looking at (not a Digi 003) is the Tascam FW-1884, has anyone had any experience with that interface? I looked at the Sound on Sound review and it looks like it got pretty good marks. Does anyone know of any other interfaces (like the Mackie Control Universal Pro) with similar specs that i could look at? Thanks a lot guys.

I do believe our beloved Pedro has a FW-1884. Let me check the old (but so much better  ;) ) forum... (colour wise that is  :shock: )... for that.

The difference between SX3 and Cubase 4? It's the follow up. They take some stuff out and they put some stuff in. You know how it goes. SX3 can only be purchased 2nd hand these days. Again, you know how it works. It's software. Like, I'm using both Windows Vista and XP. One is newer then the other and looks more flashy. But it's not better if you ask me.

Have a good look at the lower range stuff like Cubase Studio 4. The quality is all the same; Cubase 4 has some more goodies and then Nuendo has even more goodies. But you might not need those saving yourself a crapload of money.
I just happen to start off with Cubase VST5.1 upgrading to Cubase SX2 upgrading to Cubase 4 just to keep up. Support wise that is. Frankly I was more then happy with SX2 but you'll get to a point where the upgrade window closes and you'll have to buy a brand new version. Skipping every other version saves me the occasional 150 euro every fricken year. Then I jump in paying 200 euro every 2 or 3 year.

RWA

Well there you go!  :D
Oh, it's a 1082. Well, I was pretty close!

Pedro

Quote from: "RWA"Well there you go!  :D

Close enough for me!  ;)

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"

Close enough for me!  ;)
Touch down!  :shock:

How's you Roland TD-12 and Korg multi effect git unit holding up?
Did you end up marrying that support guy from Korg or was that just a one nighter?!

Pedro

Quote from: "RWA"
Quote from: "Pedro"

Close enough for me!  ;)
Touch down!  :shock:

How's you Roland TD-12 and Korg multi effect git unit holding up?
Did you end up marrying that support guy from Korg or was that just a one nighter?!
It was a small but heated affair (soldering a surface mount inductor with a soldering iron tip the size of Norway!).
The TD12 is fine and says "Hi" (it also says "Hat") and the AX3000G now says "Thanks awfully for saving my life but can't you find someone that can play that thing properly!".  ;)