WINRAR/RAR; PC vs Mac

Started by RWA, July 05, 2012, 02:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWA

I've been using WINRAR and ZIP to pack my files for years (sending big ass 24 bit wav files for collaborators) but so far they were all on PC. Now I'm working with 3 Mac guys. Question:

Does anybody know if there's software for this that works on both platforms? I couldn't find anything so far....

Thanks!  :)

vocalnick

OSX can open & create ZIP files by default. Just double-click them to unpack, or select a bunch of files and then right-click (or option-click) and select "Compress xx items"
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog

Pedro

One brilliant musician in the Netherlands gets a tip from another brilliant musician in Tasmania....I still love this place! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

We're just, like, this big global Frost*ie community, maaaaaan....
Speaking of which, what happened to the World Frost*ie Map? I wonder if I have a link to it somewhere....
* May contain nuts.

RWA

Quote from: "vocalnick"OSX can open & create ZIP files by default. Just double-click them to unpack, or select a bunch of files and then right-click (or option-click) and select "Compress xx items"

Excellent! Thanks a lot sir! This will save some serious mb's filled with dead air.  :)

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"One brilliant musician in the Netherlands gets a tip from another brilliant musician in Tasmania....I still love this place! :)
That's the cunning interweb for ya!  8-)

Mordwin

7-zip not available on the Mac? hmm, not official builds, but there are some... http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19139/ez7z

RWA

Quote from: "Mordwin"7-zip not available on the Mac? hmm, not official builds, but there are some... http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19139/ez7z
Thanks for the link!  :)

WINZIP seems to be available for both PC and Mac. I reckon with Nick's advice this should work.
Let me try this first.

Mordwin

Most modern OS's support basic zip out of the box, but if you know everyone you are sharing with has 7zip, it's native compression is superior often as not (though not sure about audio stuff, so YMMV :))

JakeWorrell

I use 'The Unarchiver' on Mac and winrar on my PC. This doesn't answer your question at all.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

RWA

Quote from: "JakeWorrell"I use 'The Unarchiver' on Mac and winrar on my PC. This doesn't answer your question at all.
Uhm.... thanks!  :lol:

owen

Now that's a proper Frostie answer  :D  :D  :D