Main Menu

Bought unheard

Started by Rook, July 18, 2012, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook

The idea was bands you are a fan of where the next release is such an automatic buy that you would purchase it without having heard any music on it. For instance I am perfectly happy to plonk down some cash on the new Froat album without having heard it, but even though I am a huge Spock's Beard fan and loved the last album, they have gone through some changes. I am very interested to hear it, and confidence is high, but... I gotta hear it. At least a sample.

I also specified "currently active" since, well, I would go out and get a new Pink Floyd album in a flash, but I don't really see that happening.

Againesis

Quote from: "Rook"For instance I am perfectly happy to plonk down some cash on the new Froat album without having heard it
They must be a great band. Like Frost but more...stoaty.

My list for what it's worth:
Frost (surely a given for anyone here)
BBT
It Bites
Magenta (although one more Chameleon like release and I'll cross Mr Reed off my list)
Neal Morse projects (except the covers & worship stuff)
Imogen Heap
Divine Comedy
IQ
Steve Hackett (electric stuff)
XTC
Peter Gabriel
Steely Dan
Probably Anathema & The Flower Kings now after their stonkingly good last albums

There are probably loads of others...I'm such an iTunes whore!!
There are only 10 types of people]

Rook

Quote from: "Againesis"
Quote from: "Rook"For instance I am perfectly happy to plonk down some cash on the new Froat album without having heard it
They must be a great band. Like Frost but more...stoaty.
Oh they are... with keys by the irascible Jim Goatfrey. I think their new album is called Deep Froat.

So small a distance between the s and a keys, and yet so far...

Mikey

Quote from: "Rook"The idea was bands you are a fan of where the next release is such an automatic

That could be a long list, especially if there's a Mitchell connection.

Next thread could be;

Is there a disappointing Mitchell album?
I used to have a signature

Rook

Was JM on Pride? I love all the Arena albums except that one. Couldn't tell you why, can't remember actually. I just never wanted to listen to it. But yeah, Mitchell is the man.

I'm actualy a bit the same way about Jorn Lande. The only stuff of his that I didn't dig was the Allen/Lande stuff. It loooked great on paper, but just never grabbed me. My good friend is still in utter disbelief that I don't think it is some of the best music made by man. Shrug. Then again I didn't think all that much of Snow, which everyone else seems to see as SB's high water mark. I also prefer Collins Invisible Touch era Genesis to Gabriel... (only joking!) I'll stop rambling...

fitzy

Marillion
Anything with Derek Sherinian involved(..always quality,always great guitarists guesting!)
Big Big Train
Dream Theater
Transatlantic
Porcupine Tree
Flower Kings
Agents of Mercy
Anything with Billy Sheehan(Solo,Devils Slingshot etc.)
Steve Vai
Spocks Beard
Neal Morse
RUSH
And anything by Mike Stern,Satch,Paul Gilbert,BCC,..So much music,so little time!Aagghhh!!
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

Mikey

Quote from: "Rook"Was JM on Pride?

Line-up / Musicians
- Paul Wrightson / vocals
- Keith More / guitars, backing vocals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards, backing vocals
- John Jowitt / bass, backing vocals
- Mick Pointer / drums, backing vocals

& anything with the Jowitt, he took me to Frost* from Jadis & John Young
I used to have a signature