Main Menu

Roland TD20

Started by RWA, July 28, 2012, 01:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johninblack

Quote from: "Drarok"Tsk, upgraded to a new kit but forgotten the basics.

The hi-hats go on the left! ;)
That's a left handed kit that!
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse

*makes a remark about studio run-throughs*

RacingHippo

Quote from: "RWA"Come over and GET if you dare!  :lol:
Careful, I just might.... *calculates cost of TD20 vs cost of flights.... and hospital treatment*

Actually, there's a rumour that there might be something called "a bonus" involved in my future employment if everything goes to plan. I know what I'll be spending it on (and hang the marital fallout that results!)
* May contain nuts.

johninblack

Quote from: "RacingHippo"and hang the marital fallout that results!

You are either drunk or the better half has gone away for a while :)

Or perhaps accumulated LOTS AND LOTS of brownie points?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RWA

Quote from: "RacingHippo"
Quote from: "RWA"Come over and GET if you dare!  :lol:
Careful, I just might.... *calculates cost of TD20 vs cost of flights.... and hospital treatment*

:lol:

And yes Drarok, I'm a lefty. This brings additional work to setting up a TD20 since all the cable are hidden in the rack.... for a right handed set up obviously! So I have to re-label all the cable.  :?

Pedro

This is going to sound weird, but can't you just turn the rack "inside-out"?

If it is like my TD12 rack, it is a three-sided thing...   __/

If you open it out straight and then fold the two arms the other way, it would be left-ised.

NOW, I believe that the pipes are curved, so folding it backwards would mean the pipes curve "inwards", but I think these pipes are just clamped in place and if you loosened the clamps you could rotate the pipes so they curved the other way.
If the pipes are "keyed" (to stop them turning in the clamps) then this might mean it can't be done.

Of course, this rests on a bunch of guesses that might not hold, but it could work....?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"This is going to sound weird, but can't you just turn the rack "inside-out"?

If it is like my TD12 rack, it is a three-sided thing...   __/

If you open it out straight and then fold the two arms the other way, it would be left-ised.

NOW, I believe that the pipes are curved, so folding it backwards would mean the pipes curve "inwards", but I think these pipes are just clamped in place and if you loosened the clamps you could rotate the pipes so they curved the other way.
If the pipes are "keyed" (to stop them turning in the clamps) then this might mean it can't be done.

Of course, this rests on a bunch of guesses that might not hold, but it could work....?
Well, I play drums me so I didn't look at it this way. Like, in a logical manner.  :lol:
You might be right. It would mean I have to losen all the pipes and flip them up side down ... but it might be the solution.

Let me have a look at it tomorrow. If you're correct .... I own you 3 beers in Londen upcoming December!  ;)

RWA

The bad news is........ this is gonna cost me 3 beers!
The good news is...... you are fully right! It is that simple!  :mrgreen:

Now, I won't be doing this for a while since I have set everything up properly after 2 days of building. If I would set the rack up like you suggested I will be running out of space. The right leg is all ready hidden under my desk as it is. But if and when I have to break it down to do a gig I will DEFINITELY set it up the way you suggested. Thank you sir!!!!

Now name me 1 prog forum that comes up with clever left handed e-drum rack set up suggestions! I dare you!  :D

D S

Quote from: "RWA"Now name me 1 prog forum that comes up with clever left handed e-drum rack set up suggestions! I dare you!  :D
Er, this one?!   ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

RWA

Quote from: "D S"
Quote from: "RWA"Now name me 1 prog forum that comes up with clever left handed e-drum rack set up suggestions! I dare you!  :D
Er, this one?!   ;)
Uhm.... yes! I obviously ment "one other forum"....  :lol:

RWA

Well, the "flip your rack inside out" idea looked good on paper but sounded to good to be true.... and it is.

I started doing this but as it turns out every junction of the rack has its unique place. that way the rack has its paws spread out so to speak to make it rock steady. Another problem I ran into is the cable length at the main cable junction is to small for it to make a 180° turn.

So! I basically took the entire rack apart and rebuild it southpaw. I'm glad I did it though since the cable makes total sense now and the module is placed near the hi-hat now where it should be.  :)

Pedro

Ah, I think I understand.
Is it safe to say, then, you can build a leftie using exactly the same parts (which I figured Roland would have designed-in for cost saving purposes) but getting there was harder because it is better made than I had expected?
Glad you got it sorted though, even if it was more tricky. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

Congratulations, Ron! You have passed the first level in the Geo-Spatial Drum Kit Engineering!

Your next task is to rebuild this Southpaw-stylee:

* May contain nuts.

D S

Heh!   :lol:
He has 5 feet?  :shock:
Come on, you\'re a lion!

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"Ah, I think I understand.
Is it safe to say, then, you can build a leftie using exactly the same parts (which I figured Roland would have designed-in for cost saving purposes) but getting there was harder because it is better made than I had expected?
Glad you got it sorted though, even if it was more tricky. :)
Yes sir. The rack was all ready set up by a right handed drummer. If you take it new out of the box you can just build it left handed from the start. Anyway, glad you brought up the suggestion otherwise I'd probably didn't start this project.  Now the cables make total sense and have the right length + it's way more convenient to have the module at the hi-hat side. That way it's also close to my desk so it's in reach when something needs to be edited. I'm build in like Neil Peart now except his is only drums; for me it's drums and screens and speakers and gits and footcontrollers!  :mrgreen: