Orchestral samples

Started by owen, July 30, 2012, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesounde ... s/library/

Came across this lot today. They're free to use. Don't know how useful they are but...

Rook

Thanks for the heads up on that. I have the east west library, so I probably don't need it, but I'm tempted to grab them anyway....

jamiesoarmusic

I've got a whole bunch of alternative freebie orchestra bits and pieces. I also have East West CCC, as well as the new Albion II Loegria library (Which is wonderful), but you can never have enough of these samples. I've run into situations where the freebie one has just the right amount of vibrato, or it's been recorded with a specific mic that let's it sit in my mix without much EQing at all.

So even if you are as sample rich as, say, Blake Robinson, it's still worthwhile grabbing these things while you can, you never know when you might need that one anvil hit in there!

EvilDragon

Blake is a pal of mine. A very cool and a humble dude.  ;)

jamiesoarmusic

Quote from: "EvilDragon"Blake is a pal of mine. A very cool and a humble dude.  ;)

And rather talented, and a part of the Spitfire crew if I'm not mistaken?

EvilDragon

Correct on both accounts. He also scripted some Sonokinetic, Cinesamples, and some other Kontakt libraries as well.

I, on the other hand, am linked with Hollow Sun (and some other libraries too). :)

jamiesoarmusic

And I just use the things, because I'm just a producer. I can't even afford Kontakt right now :'(

EvilDragon

Grab it at the next sale.

Another way of getting it cheaper is trying to dig out Kontakt 1 on eBay (can be had real cheap), and then you crossgrade to the latest version.

jamiesoarmusic

Quote from: "EvilDragon"Grab it at the next sale.

Another way of getting it cheaper is trying to dig out Kontakt 1 on eBay (can be had real cheap), and then you crossgrade to the latest version.

I've...never considered that.

That is genius. I think I want to buy all my software this way... as well as acquire some of NI's legacy stuff (pro53, FM7 etc)

Rook

Another path I have heard (I have not tried it myself) is to sign up for a class at your local community college (or whatever that kind of institution is called where you are. You can do "Intoroduction to guitar" or "Biscuit Appreciation" or whatever you want, but as long as you get a student card you can qualify for student or academic prices on a lot of software. My Comp Sci degree certainly qualified for Cubase (and also Windows XP and office).

jamiesoarmusic

Quote from: "Rook"Another path I have heard (I have not tried it myself) is to sign up for a class at your local community college (or whatever that kind of institution is called where you are. You can do "Intoroduction to guitar" or "Biscuit Appreciation" or whatever you want, but as long as you get a student card you can qualify for student or academic prices on a lot of software. My Comp Sci degree certainly qualified for Cubase (and also Windows XP and office).

As a music degree graduate... going back into education is a um... expensive way of getting a discount! Postgrad etc.  :P