EIMA - Whats your favourite track ?

Started by Dave M, November 17, 2008, 12:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjt

It's not that easy...
Wonderland and DDD (at the moment  ;) )

GaryC

I like Toys quite a bit even though its not the sort of tune i would call prog - i like the uptempo feel of it.

After that i would say Falling Down.

Mickdoo22

Quote from: "GaryC"I like Toys quite a bit even though its not the sort of tune i would call prog - i like the uptempo feel of it.

After that i would say Falling Down.

I have never quite understood the whole " this is prog enough, that is not" mindset.  Frankly, a lot of what is classified as "prog" these days is just formula retread, predictable, and almost prog parody.  
To me, good music is good music....which is 80% song, and 20% execution.  As far as I am concerned, anything Jem writes in "this genre" will always have a proggy backdrop due to the elements and the mindset.  My idea of great prog has nothing to do with song length, odd time signatures, mellotrons, or 3 minute wankfests.  I consider prog to be rooted in a vibe, melody, and attitude.
As for which song is my favorite......I am still waiting for my copy.....

Ash

Blimey 112 posts on that thread, so in a 113 is my tuppence...

Initially I thought as a whole it seemed samey but after listening to the instrumentals and going back to it, I could hear that it really wasn't and was fantastic.  I have never really got instrumentals before, could never see the point but I almost prefer them to the album.  Saline is particularly beautiful.

So favourite tracks

1. Saline (instrumental)
2. Welcome to Nowhere - absolutely perfect love it
3. Secret song - hope WW doesn't mind but it makes me think of what it must be like to have lost someone.  I will have Secret Song at my funeral.
4. Saline
All the rest, except Dear Dead Days. I had that keyboard mentalness as my ring tone for ages and it really freaks me out when it starts!
Ash
xxx

wickedwitch

Quote from: "Sarah"Blimey 112 posts on that thread, so in a 113 is my tuppence...

3. Secret song - hope WW doesn't mind but it makes me think of what it must be like to have lost someone.  I will have Secret Song at my funeral.

funny you should say that. i totally agree.

I was planning a vid for toys with my ex, who is good at all things filmy but i couldnt get the video for secret song out of my head.

at the beginning its a heartbeat on a hospital monitor and a man lying in bed. staff rushing round him speeded up / in stop motion but he's singing in normal time.  then you see water lapping around the bed and he sinks down into the water.
i'll be fine dont worry, he opens his eyes under the water. they are very blue.

then viewed from high up you see him on his back in his hospital gown floating in teh sea with life belts floating all around him

i'll be fine

instrumental you get closer and closer until you are close on his face, he closes his eyes. when he opens them again you zoom out and he is arguing with his wife on a clifftop. zoom into her brown eyes then she closes them. whe she opens them come out and she is stood on the cliff crying, arms wrapped around herself and wind blowing.  
remember me

you see her from th epoint of view of  under the water and then up and out as she steps off the cliff.
view from teh side, she closes her eyes ad steps forward and he in his hospital gown is in front of her holding her back. he melts ito her and you close up on her face when she opens her eyes she has one blue eye and one brown eye.

silly perhaps but i see that every time i hear the song.

Pedro

Not silly at all. That would be extremely effective if you ask me.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Philadelphia

ww: I think that would be a very good and appropriate video for that song. I love it.
"One man\'s Drum Machine is another man\'s Mellotron"
- Pedro

RacingHippo

WW - I always suspected it, but that proves it: you're beautiful on the inside, too.
* May contain nuts.

Ash

Wow.  That will be in my head next time I listen to it.
Ash
xxx

W.E.

Well, I would say DDD & Falling Down, however, I'm the kind of listener who doesn't concentrate on lyrics too much (tsk), preferring the music to 'move' me (and it all does). But

Quote've made up my mind.

Secret song.

Though I've named it 'Fading into the Deep', possibly because I heard that lyric a lot over the report it was in, possibly because thats how I feel when I listen to the song, fading away, falling, especially with the ending chords.

and the above posts - once I concentrated on the lyrics I came to exactly the same conclusion. Beautiful. :cry:
Always a crumb

Sammi

Mine has to be saline and DDD, songs of perfection.
I won\'t be the good for nothing  , I won\'t be the same old feeling, I won\'t be the one you turn to, I won\'t be the phase you go through.