Main Menu

Kid's taste in music

Started by Rook, August 31, 2012, 02:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook

Connor has always had very specific taste in music. Right from the word go, he gravitated towards... well... Power Metal.My wife resisted the idea for quite a while (she is not a Metal fan) but even she had to admit it after a while and now she plays metal in the car to keep him happy. His favourites are (roughly in order) Sonata Arctica, Masterplan (And Jorn's solo stuff), Symphony X, Megadeth, Dio, Avantasia and now Haken. Strangely Dream Theater got a thumbs down, but Slayer and Chilren of Bodom got a thumbs up. Ozzy era Sabbath bad, Dio era good. Deep purple and Pink Floyd boring(!), Zeppelin interesting. Fave bedtime songs for Dad to sing are Holy Diver, Symphony of Destruction, Red Barchetta, Teddybear's Picnic and Helloween's Twilight of the Gods.

By and large he hasn't been interested in Prog, unless that "Prog" is immediately followed with "slash Power Metal" I got told off the other day for playing Marillion, and asked to change it to "Different Music"... but the other day he listened intently to about 15 minutes of Milliontown on the headphones :) Of course he can like whatever music he likes, but I'm always happy when it is good music.

Mikey

Quote from: "Fogeyspasm"We are going to see Dee Expus/Manning on Saturday. He is so happy now because he can get into more gig venues now he is 14.
Did you have permission to leave?
I used to have a signature

Rook

So I took the little lad (4 yrs old) to see a local production of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds", and he loved it. We were right up the front (could *smell* the performers) and some of the movie footage was a bit scary for the wee mite, but one of the guitar players came over after and complimented him on sitting through such a long concert and paying such close attention for the whole time. Double pleased because I told him there was a CD of it and he pestered me to burn him a copy and now he sits in his room listening to it while brooming his cars around. He was building towers with blocks the other day and out of the blue he says "but they're not devils, they're martians!" and knocks down all the towers.

So chuffed, because that was the album that really got me into music in general and prog in particular when I was about 5. I slipped in the idea that if he wants to make music (like that) he can have piano lessons.

Am I grooming him to be a prog superstar? we can only hope :)

Oh yeah, for a local production, WOTW was really REALLY well done.

johninblack

Quote from: "Rook"So I took the little lad (4 yrs old) to see a local production of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds", and he loved it. We were right up the front (could *smell* the performers) and some of the movie footage was a bit scary for the wee mite, but one of the guitar players came over after and complimented him on sitting through such a long concert and paying such close attention for the whole time. Double pleased because I told him there was a CD of it and he pestered me to burn him a copy and now he sits in his room listening to it while brooming his cars around. He was building towers with blocks the other day and out of the blue he says "but they're not devils, they're martians!" and knocks down all the towers.

So chuffed, because that was the album that really got me into music in general and prog in particular when I was about 5. I slipped in the idea that if he wants to make music (like that) he can have piano lessons.

Am I grooming him to be a prog superstar? we can only hope :)

Oh yeah, for a local production, WOTW was really REALLY well done.
Now that's the kind of story I really like hearing. Well done Dad, well done Son and well done local production company. Where's the three cheers smiley when you need it?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Drarok

Is WOTW prog? I remember listening to my parents' copy on vinyl back in the day, cracking tunes on there.

Mikey

Quote from: "Drarok"Is WOTW prog?
if it's good, it's prog :lol:
I used to have a signature

Rook

Quote from: "Drarok"Is WOTW prog? I remember listening to my parents' copy on vinyl back in the day, cracking tunes on there
Lets see... It is a double concept album from the 1970s based on a science fiction story. It as covered in synths and features string section, a cast and even a narrator. It has long instrumental sections, extended solos and leitmotifs. It totally pushed the limits of what was possible in the studio at the time. It has tempo and time signature changes galore. It was an innovative PROGRESSION taking elements of popular music from the current (then), the past, and taking it somewhere new. Somewhere few people ever managed to follow convincingly (fingers crossed for Kompendium).

Sounds like prog to me :)

owen2

Sounds a bit over qualified, if you ask me

johninblack

Quote from: "Rook"
Quote from: "Drarok"Is WOTW prog? I remember listening to my parents' copy on vinyl back in the day, cracking tunes on there
Lets see... It is a double concept album from the 1970s based on a science fiction story. It as covered in synths and features string section, a cast and even a narrator. It has long instrumental sections, extended solos and leitmotifs. It totally pushed the limits of what was possible in the studio at the time. It has tempo and time signature changes galore. It was an innovative PROGRESSION taking elements of popular music from the current (then), the past, and taking it somewhere new. Somewhere few people ever managed to follow convincingly (fingers crossed for Kompendium).

Sounds like prog to me :)
Compelling argument, not got a counter - It must be Prog then.  :D
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"