Main Menu

Proguphoria

Started by Ash, October 14, 2012, 10:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

Short notice for this prog all dayer but if you can get to Poole next Saturday, it will be fab.  

Ash
xxx

Pedro

Can't be there, good line-up, but with Summer's End and recent gigs it's just Galahad I'll be missing so I'll hope to catch them elsewhere.
Hope it goes well.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

DueyC

Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Ash

Apologies - this is a cut n paste from the tank, so don't bother if you've read it there...

Proguphoria

In the absence of all of the prog writers, JamesA, JamesH, and RobH, at the event, you'll have to make do with this.  It'll be a tad different from theirs, especially with regards to Mark Spencer. And that I haven't any notes of what was played and my memory is rubbish.

I had never planned on going to Proguphoria for a variety of reasons.  Travel and accommodation combined with seeing all of these acts recently at The Peel (apart from the Cryptic Clues, who I have never seen) meant that it seemed like an unnecessary gig. However, after seeing Galahad at the Peel recently and being somewhat entertained by Mark Spencer, I decided that I should go and consider it my birthday treat.

The journey to Poole was trouble free and we got to Mr Kyps about 1.30.  After deciding that I didn't want to park there, we went to our B&B.  We stayed at the Harlequins B&B which was great and if you are ever in Poole, I totally recommend it.  After unpacking, we walked back to the venue and went to the pub next to it called The Bermuda Triangle.  Still a bit early we went for walk to the cashpoint and to check out where we would eat later.  We then went to the pub across the road from the venue but i can't remember what that was called, but it was a pub of two halves, the front all old and cosy and then the conservatory was all bright and modern.  It had a nice beer garden and it was hard to drag ourselves away to go and see

Alan Reed

Stuart got Matt to do the day's introductions, which basically involved Matt pleading for people to come down the front!  With the day already behind schedule, Alan had to shorten his set but it was the same as all of his recent sets with Mark Spencer.  (Mark was a tad unshaven but I think we decided this was a good look too.)  Alan's sets are fun and they are now turning into quite the singalongs, especially as this was an 80s neoprog crowd.  His performance of Love Song last night was perfection, it was so beautifully sung and he has really made this version his own.  (And it is soooo much better).  However, I'm not sure if the effort of that song did his voice in, but in the last song, Begin Again, his voice wasn't quite getting there.  Biko was the song cut from the set.

After a very quick turnaround, the

Paul Menel Band

came on to do their Nomzamo show.  I am sure when I saw them do this at the Peel, the songs were mixed up.  I might be mistaken, but this time they did side 1, then some new bits and they they did side 2.  I am of the Paul Menel IQ era and Nomzamo is my fav IQ album.  Martin Orford looked miserable, seemed uncomfortable when he got cheered and altogether didn't look like he should be there at all.  Apparently when Matt asked him if he was enjoying being back he said no.  Clive Nolan came on for a couple of songs (I am not sure why 2 keyboardists were necessary).  He seemed to be enjoying himself.  John Jowitt was well, John Jowitt.  He should win an award for being best John Jowitt or something.

I love the amused look on Johns face in this pic

Clive and Martin left for the middle section of the set and were replaced by the regular keyboardist.   The hilight was Steve Harris who did some amazing solos, he had a few 'Tinyfish' type problems which resulted in PM saying 'What do I pay you for?' to which SH replied 'You don't!'

Whatever song they blues up (Nomazmo?), was especially good.  I liked this version the last time and this time it was even better.  I think (to my untrained ear) that the sound quality at Mr Kyps is pretty good.  It is a nice size venue, with a bar at the back and quite a decent stage at the front.  The lighting seemed limited and it was positively dark when Galahad were on. The toilets were not as grim as The Peel but they certainly weren't great.  Anyway, back to the PMB.  I don't think their set was shortened as they did an encore.  And after the encore was the longest bow with everyone on the stage.  They really should have had Mark Spencer do something.

The Cryptic Clues

Were due on next and despite wanting to see Mark Spencer sing, it did mean having to listen to Twelfth Night songs.  So this was the time to go to the Ox pub at the end of the road for some gastropub overpriced yumminess.  But the bouncer said they were fully booked, I'm unconvinced as to whether he just didn't like the look of us.  We then decided against chinese and went for an indian.  It was packed and we had to wait a few mins for a table.  Do NOT go to this indian restaurant.  The food was not very nice.  Dame moaned throughout about his and then when the waiter came over to ask if the food was alright, he just shrugged.  I made him tell the waiter everything that he thought was wrong with it, after listening to him whinge there was no way he was going to act all polite.  We didn't get a discount but then we didn't really press for one.  As we were leaving, the PMB sat down.  I hope theirs was a bit nicer.

We got back just as The Cryptic Clues were ending.  We must have got in and out of the curry house quite quickly as according to the set list, they had to delete 3 songs from their set.  They were doing Love Song and it wasn't a patch on the one by Alan Reed.  I know that Alan's is the cover but it is so much better.

Dame was feeling unwell so he sat down and I, the concerned wife that I am, went to the front for

Galahad

Matt did his MC bit again.  This time mentioning it was my birthday but also doing the please come down the front thing.  I wish he hadn't because some women standing behind me did not shut up throughout the whole set.  Mark was dressed the same as last time and by now had shaved.  I am not sure what look Roy was going for with his make up but the effect was chimney sweep or coal miner.  They seemed really energised and full of confidence and this came out in the music which was superb.  They are my top live band at the moment.  I do hope they win some awards or get some sort of recognition for Battle Scars and Euphoria.  Mark Stephens brings out more personality and performance from Roy and Stuart so it was not just him I was watching, honest.  Roy did some tremendous guitar solos.  The only faults I can find with the whole thing was Stuart's 'dancing'.  But even that amused me so it's still a good thing.  Oh and at the end Mark took his top off.

It was a cracking night.  In terms of numbers, they were quite low, I don't think it was enough from a financial perspective but considering it was up against the Fish convention, the Star Trek convention, Strictly Come Dancing and a CRS gig, it didn't do too badly.   I hear that Galahad and Paul Menel might be doing Rosfest.  Oooh the temptation if this was the case!

All the photos here (for those who are not on facebook and haven't seem them already)

http://s155.beta.photobucket.com/user/a ... roguphoria
Ash
xxx

johninblack

Looks like a good time was had! Thanks for telling us about it :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

Yes, thanks for the write-up, a jolly interesting read.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"