How do you synth?

Started by Brom, July 06, 2010, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvenstarMusic

Having acquired a Fantom G6 a couple of months ago I am using presets whilst getting used to Live / Studio / Single Modes. Thankfully, Roland US guys put out some decent tutorial videos on You Tube which have sped up the learning process no end.

However, question for Jem...when you took your Roland on tour were you working in Live mode and firing samples / loops / sequence from the pads or playing on top of pre-sequenced songs?

Just curious.

TTFN

Pedro

Quote from: "EvenstarMusic"However, question for Jem...when you took your Roland on tour were you working in Live mode and firing samples / loops / sequence from the pads or playing on top of pre-sequenced songs?
Just curious.
TTFN
Well, I'm not Jem (better for everyone concerned I think) but I am pretty sure the answer is a) Live mode and firing samples. If you have looked at the Geek Reports on the PlanetFrost YouTube channel you can see some of the stuff he does. Playing on top of pre-sequenced stuff doesn't enter into it at all as far as I know.

Welcome to the board by the way! :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EvenstarMusic

Thanks for the welcome  :D  Yes I've been watching the Geek Reports (which are excellent fun and informative!). Still not completely clear so today is a day of trial and error (and the manual....and Roland US YT vids) seeing what we can get the wee beastie to do. Should be fun  :)

Villuccikeys

Being someone who asks the same question every day, this has been an informative post. I bought myself a GAIA SH-01 to kinda ease myself into the synthing world. Still haven't figured the darn thing out yet. This is what I get for spending most of my life on a piano and only banging on electronic devices for the last 3 or so years.

E.S.

Speaking of paying with sequenced tracks, I remember some geek report showing the Other Me groove sliced in 16th notes and mapped across the keyboard, that's a brilliant way to keep it in sync with a live band, provided you play tight enough. I did something similar way back, and it worked.

Quote from: "Villuccikeys"Being someone who asks the same question every day, this has been an informative post. I bought myself a GAIA SH-01 to kinda ease myself into the synthing world. Still haven't figured the darn thing out yet. This is what I get for spending most of my life on a piano and only banging on electronic devices for the last 3 or so years.
I've done the exact opposite, coming from the world of synths to the piano. That also takes some adjusting and practice.
The Gaia is fun, lots of physical things to tweak. :D