Main Menu

I'm listening to Frost*!

Started by LivingForever, December 13, 2012, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingForever

Most obvious thread title ever?

Well, no, not necessarily. I can't remember the last time I sat down and properly listened to Frost*. The Philadelphia Experiment gets reasonably regular rotation in the car but the real albums have been a bit neglected of late.

Until today, when I made a 'Frost*' playlist for the iPod, which has both albums and associated 'extra' tracks in chronological order. Blimey, this is quite a body of work isn't it?

'Milliontown' I've heard so many times there aren't any real surprises, but it's nice to know it still has the same exhilarating goosebump factor it did the very first time. And the sequencing of 'Wedding Day' after it worked rather nicely, along with 'Here is the News'...

The accidental masterstroke though was putting 'Raining in My Heart' directly before 'Experiments in Mass Appeal' - it works amazingly well (would be even better if the rain sounds in EIMA were there right from the start of the track), but RIMH is a lovely, lovely prelude to the EIMA album. Go on, try it, you know you want to.

Right now I'm halfway through the EIMA album, remembering what a wonderful song 'Saline' is, and getting more and more excited about Sunday by the minute.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

LivingForever

And, yep, I'm still firmly convinced that 'The Dividing Line' is the best thing they've done so far.

Mikey

What do you have in your extra tracks?

I have everything Frost* & Frostie* related in a file, which made it's way onto a datastick which is now attached to the Parrot.
The Parrot being useless :evil: , randomly goes from the album I'm listening to, to something completely different, which from time to time is my Frost* file. This means I get to listen to all sorts of odds and ends from Bigsmall to 50 versions of the Other Me. Which is just about the only thing good about the Parrot. :)

Today I went from From 10,000 clowns on a rainy day by Jan Akkerman, to CR-78 Survivors by Eponymous & Electrofrost by Jim Davies  8-)  8-)
I used to have a signature

Pedro

Somehow it sounds right that a "Parrot" (beautiful plumage) should go to "something completely different"...  ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

JimD

He hee, good old out-of-tune "Electrofrost", I still give that a whirl sometimes.  

I've had a Frost* folder on every MP3 player I've ever had. TDL is a killer, but BLM is probably my most played...so far, 'cos who knows what is coming with Frost* III?!?!?!  :D
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

lyn

We fed a lot of our music onto a hard drive thing that plays it back on "random".  It is the first thing that gets switched on in the morning (it is on the way to the kettle), and the last thing to be switched off at night - it puts in many many playback hours.  Some bands have rules.  Rule for Frost* is "no one may leave the house while it's playing a Frost* track..."

It plays a lot of Frost*.  There must be some kind of equation to represent that.  Not that many Frost* tracks, but lots and lots of Frost* minutes.... or maybe it simply has impecable taste.  Made me late for loads of things.  Neverrmind!  Everytime I listen to Frost* on a different system I hear different layers, even in tracks I think I know well...
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

RobRideout

I span Milliontown followed by EIMA today whilst playing Minecraft. Twas a glorious couple of hours.

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"Somehow it sounds right that a "Parrot" (beautiful plumage) should go to "something completely different"...  ;)
Ahh, I thought you might get it.  :D
I used to have a signature

LivingForever

What's in my Frost* playlist?

Well, funny you should ask - it's everything that's been released as Frost* (on CD, or Myspace, etc)- so things which are really from Jem's 'Creatures of Distinction' and 'Music from the Typewriting Room' "albums" are in a separate Jem Godfrey playlist.

So it goes:

Milliontown (album)
Wedding Day (from the 'I Woz There' CD)
Here is the News (from the 'I Woz There' CD)
Raining in My Heart (from the Frost* MySpace - is this really a Frost* track, I dunno. Sounds like it anyway)
EIMA (album)
The Forget You Song (from the 'Frost*Fest' CD)
1976 (snippet - from the EIMA Bonus DVD menu)
Snowman (Peter Gabriel version - from the Dividing Line special show)
"The song that doesn't exist"
The Dividing Line (from the 'Philadelphia Experiment' CD)
The Philadelphia Experiment (live tracks)

I wonder if I'm missing anything that could properly be considered Frost*ie. The acoustic Xmas versions of Hyperventilate and Snowman, for sure.

E.S.

Quote from: "LivingForever"And, yep, I'm still firmly convinced that 'The Dividing Line' is the best thing they've done so far.
Agreed.

DavSel

Quote from: "LivingForever"Until today, when I made a 'Frost*' playlist for the iPod, which has both albums and associated 'extra' tracks in chronological order. Blimey, this is quite a body of work isn't it?

Funnily enough I've done the same thing! Works a treat on shuffle I think!

Trapezium Artist

I too believe that The Dividing Line is an inspired piece of magic. Would I go as far as to say that it's the best ever Frost* track? That'd be like trying to decide which of my children I love best; impossible question!

As for the complete Frost* playlist, I would explicitly add the bonus instrumental versions of the EIMA tracks: you may have subsumed those into "EIMA (album)", LFE, but I reckon they're worth calling out separately.

I presume that the "I Woz There" CD is the 2008 tour sampler, because I have Wedding Day and Here is the News from that.

And of course there are a whole bunch of versions of Snowman, including the acoustic version by Jem and Dec on the 2008 tour CD (with the daft ending), and all are great in their various ways. Two versions of Here is the News too ...

What else? I'd perhaps only add the 9 minute 54 sec "Frost*-II-Preview" (as it's called in my library), i.e. a preview of EIMA. What I've never explicitly checked is whether there's anything in there which didn't actually end up on EIMA or is a different version thereof: anyone?

Actually, my full list of Frost*ie and Godfrey things is very long and I think I need to try and make sense of it all. I'm not even quite sure which songs fall into the "Creatures of Distinction" and "Music from the Typewriting Room" categories. Here are the additional track names I have: who can help me assign them all properly (in many cases, I can guess, and some are just sections of other songs, but it'd be good to have independent inputs)?

Music in the Typewriting Room, Saltaire, Envy Cow, The Little I Saw of Cuba, Marsupial, Dogheater, Walk Human, Afraid of Summer, BIGsmall, Broadband Tom, Fit, Finale, Heros Ending (cut section), The Man with the 2.4, I Miss You, I WIsh I Were You, Chosen Few, Within Without, Five Four Noodle, Core

(All probably from Drarok's great collection, but ...  ;) )

LivingForever

Here are the "offical" tracklistings of the two JG "albums"... as notified by the man himself... (and my notes)

Creatures of Distinction

1. Saltaire
2. Envy Cow
3. Pigs (a bizarre little doodle in the vein of Gooseflirt)
4. Bluebug (=Snowman Demo)
5. Gooseflirt (as heard on the EIMA instrumentals)
6. Thunderfrog (as heard on the EIMA instrumentals- but quite a bit longer)
7. Marcus is Here (=Wedding Day - demo?)
8. Marsupial
9. Dogheater
10. I Wish I Were You
11. Walk Human

Music From The Typewriting Room

1. Music in the Typewriting Room
2. The Man with the 4.7 (=The Man with the 2.4 I *think*)
3. Bassoon
4. Afraid of Summer
5. Bigsmall
6. The Little I Saw of Cube (=The Little I Saw of Cuba)
7. Drajista! (another tiny sound doodle)

Trapezium Artist

Thanks, LFE: there are several tracks in your list which don't appear in the ones I have mp3's for (Pigs, Gooseflirt, Thunderfrog, Bassoon, and Drajista!), so I'll have to check on Drarok's page.

Otherwise, do you know if (a) they exist and (b) you have them? ;-)

LivingForever

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Thanks, LFE: there are several tracks in your list which don't appear in the ones I have mp3's for (Pigs, Gooseflirt, Thunderfrog, Bassoon, and Drajista!), so I'll have to check on Drarok's page.

Otherwise, do you know if (a) they exist and (b) you have them? ;-)

(a) Yes
(b) Yes

:D

Maybe I can send Drarok the Zip file I have of both albums for it to be added into the Toys page (if the guv'nor doesn't mind!)