Main Menu

Best Gig of 2012

Started by Mikey, December 29, 2012, 08:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say Carl Palmer Band, Holmfirth.

Next......
I used to have a signature

Ash

Ash
xxx

DueyC

Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

lyn

Can't choose between Frost*bites and Thisisthekit in Norwich in February... Both brilliant for completely different reasons!
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

MikeEvs

Devin Townsend Retinal Circus at the Roundhouse

E.S.

Well, I've only been to two gigs this year, it's hard to decide. Both were brilliant. That was Circus Maximus in Oslo, and that there Frost*Bites thingy.

Playing wise, can't pick one. But I definitely had the most fun at the Scala, so that gets my vote. :)

Mordwin

Well, eight to pick from here (Emir Kusturica & No Smoking Orchestra, Dream Theater, Rammstein, Florence + The Machine, Ian Anderson, The Pineapple Thief, Nightwish and It Bites) and a few stand out.

For insane bonkers glorious fun, I'll pick Emir Kusturica & No Smoking Orchestra at Celtic Connections back in January (seriously, these guy give Frost* a run for their money in the nutters stakes!). Special mention to the security guard overheard on the way out "Aye, they'll no be playin' here again" :D

For sheer spectacle and theatre, it can only be Rammstien at Newcastle in February.

Award for loudest per audience member goes to It Bites in Glasgow in December (which was most enjoyable :)).

All the others had their moments and were special in their own  particular ways. Hearing TaaB and the premier of TaaB2 was certainly memorable, TPT were excellent once again, and Nightwish with Floor Jansen was a bit special.

Hard to pick just one I guess, but if I'm going to give just one the nod, then I'll go with Emir Kusturica & No Smoking Orchestra for sheer enjoyment.

Againesis

No contest: Frost Bites. A few reasons:
Front row centre position
Been an IB fan for 20 years and never seen them live before
Speak and Spell duel (and generally bloody good fun had by all)
Blunders Blinder
Nellie's biscuits
Milliontown & Once around the world in one night
Oh...and didn't get to any other gigs!!!!
There are only 10 types of people]

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Againesis"No contest: Frost Bites. A few reasons:

Thus implying, by extension, that the worst gig you saw all year by far was ...  8-)

What have I been to this year? Tinyfish/DeeExpus at The Peel, The Enid/RPWL, Believe/Moon Safari, Arena, IQ, and North Atlantic Oscillation at De Boerderij, and Frost*Bites at Scala. More than I usually get to in a given year these days: the trend is positive!

But what would be the best of the lot? Well, all were enjoyable and the social aspects of the Tinyfish and Frost*Bites gigs were outstanding, of course. I also tend to enjoy gigs much more if I know the music well, so in that regard Frost*, The Enid, and IQ easily stand out. But  if forced to pick one overall winner ... I'd go for North Atlantic Oscillation. Very small gig, maybe 40 people in the bar at De Boerderij, but excellent, inventive, well-played music: why they're no better known remains a total mystery to me.

PhilHarmonic

A really good topic question to round off 2012!!
Best gig for me - Marillion at The Forum - Why? - Three new pieces off 'STCBH' + all the best bits off 'Marbles' (and a great view with great sound)
2nd Best (only cos I couldn't see anything being one of the late ones and having to stand behind tall & wide persons) - Frost*Bites - But we had 'Milliontown' in full and two new songs + an excellent It Bites set - so not that much to complain about! Oh yes, and an audience that loved every minute of it!!!
Greg Lake - oddly, very entertaining and well presented.  I hope he does it again.
Multi bands - Cambridge Rock Festival - (despite wanting to see 'Caravan' on the Saturday) specifically went on the Sunday to see 'Mr So & So', 'Touchstone', 'Don Airey', 'Mostly Autumn', etc.  But was very disappointed with headliners 'Snakecharmer' despite the talented musicians that make up the band.
Worst gig - Marshall's 50th Year Anniversary concert at Wembley - depsite the presence of Joe Satriani, a complete waste of an evening with great potential.  What looked like a good idea on paper should have stayed there!
Missed gigs (due to illness but ticket bought) - 'Chickenfoot' at Brixton Academy.  Still, seen the YouTube vids to make up.
Most pleasurable moment? - Waking up on Saturday 22nd december with the knowledge that the Mayans may have been slightly misguided and that we will all be around to hear the new Frost* album!!
And (slighlty 'off topic') - next Year 2013 - Tickets already secured to see 'Joe Bonamassa' and 'Steve Wilson'
Given that my first gig was 'Wishbone Ash' in 1970, I am glad that I have lived this long!! If emerging talent keeps up the 'prog' work, we should all have something to look forward to.
Happy New Year one and all.
I play the right notes but not necessarily in the correct order

lyn

It Bites were great at the Cambridge Rock Festival... forgot about that counting as a gig cos I run Spindependence in the Craft tent  there and I had burst ear drum so most've the summer passed in a blur (mostly like overdriven kraftwerk playing backwards in my half my head, all the time...)
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Againesis

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"
Quote from: "Againesis"No contest: Frost Bites. A few reasons:

Thus implying, by extension, that the worst gig you saw all year by far was ...  8-)
Completely forgot - I saw the Steve Hackett acoustic trio set at Trading Boundaries so (as good as Stevo was) Frost escape that accolade!
There are only 10 types of people]

L33VEY

Moon Safari in Peterborough.... after Frost*Bites of course!
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Mossive Attack

Ooh, this is difficult!

My top three would be:

Rush in Toronto in October. My all time favourite band of all time in their home town. Amazing. And amazingly expensive but worth it. (ask Bert)

Frost*bites - even though I missed the first 10 minutes as we only started queuing at 7 it was a brilliant gig. Two of my favourite bands on one stage on the same night!

Touchstone/The Reasoning - at the Railway in Bromley Cross (near Bolton). A great atmosphere in a tiny venue but lots of fun. Two bands on top form.
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

Mossive Attack

Actually, having had another think, I need to add:

Celebr8! Only made the Sunday but what a lineup....

It Bites at Manchester Academy in December. Fantastic gig,especially considering the various illnesses affecting the band.
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....