The Flower Kings and Neal Morse Band

Started by DavSel, March 10, 2013, 12:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavSel

Did anyone else here get to watch this incredible gig?

Was my first gig with Neal Morse in, and honestly I was blown away with his performance! It was almost unreal!

The Flower Kings played a brilliant start to the show, its just a shame they couldn't have played a longer set but that probably has something to do with the damn curfew we have to endure. However it was still a brilliant start all the same!

Then Neal Morse steps in blasts out phenomenal prog our way! Now I haven't heard many of his solo albums apart from Momentum but boy after this show I think its fair to say my music collection is about to get another bulk of Neal Morse albums!

And THEN Transatlantic encore, and just WOW! All of the Neal Morse Band and The Flower Kings all on the stage at the same time playing some brilliant classic Transatlantic to bring an EPIC ending to an unforgettable night!

My ears are still ringing to this moment! I got to stand at the very front through the whole thing!  :D Definitely one of the best gigs I have been to in my life!  :)

Pedro

Didn't get to any of them but I saw him solo (and guesting with Spock's Beard) and Transatlantic (with Steve Hackett guesting for Hogweed encore) at High Voltage. Stunning performances all.
Of his solo stuff, I have Momentum and Testimony 2 and I like them a lot, great writing. The lyrical subject matter is not to everyone's taste but I'm not bothered by it at all.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

DavSel

Quote from: "Pedro"Didn't get to any of them but I saw him solo (and guesting with Spock's Beard) and Transatlantic (with Steve Hackett guesting for Hogweed encore) at High Voltage. Stunning performances all.
Of his solo stuff, I have Momentum and Testimony 2 and I like them a lot, great writing. The lyrical subject matter is not to everyone's taste but I'm not bothered by it at all.

Would love to have seen him performing in Spocks Beard! That Transatlantic sounded like an amazing night especially with Steve Hackett joining the crew!

I have to say though, Neal has convinced me enough to purchase his albums  ;) the subject matter really doesn't bother me, its the music I'm there for! And if it sounds great then thats good enough for me! :D Thats not to say that writing is bad by any means, it's interesting to hear his perspective on things  ;)

Pedro

The guy certainly is passionate about cheeses. :)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Pedro"The guy certainly is passionate about cheeses. :)

And at the winter solstice, does he go on about the baby cheeses as well?

For me, I'm afraid, it's a complete and total turn off: I find the chap unlistenable. But perhaps if he sang the praises of the estimable Reypenaer, I'd change my mind ...  8-)

DavSel

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"
Quote from: "Pedro"The guy certainly is passionate about cheeses. :)

And at the winter solstice, does he go on about the baby cheeses as well?

For me, I'm afraid, it's a complete and total turn off: I find the chap unlistenable. But perhaps if he sang the praises of the estimable Reypenaer, I'd change my mind ...  8-)

For me its Wendslydale everytime!  ;)

Pedro

There it is, a Christmas cover for Neal...."Good King Wensleydale". :)

Trapezium Artist

As much as I like the great British stuff, one of the revelations of moving to live in the Netherlands was that Dutch cheese can be good, nay wonderful.

All that horribly rubbery young Edam and Gouda that they send for export? Forget it. The old stuff, matured for years in cellars, is brilliant, closer to parmigiano than anything else, nutty and creamy simultaneously, filled with little mineral inclusions, albeit not quite as crumbly. Admittedly, the Dutch like their young cheese too, but for me it's the old every time.

Which has precious little to do with Neal Morse's world view, but personally, I reckon grated cheeses are better suited to the tenets of pastafarianism.

Pedro

Quotefilled with little mineral inclusions
...that's grit, isn't it?

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quotefilled with little mineral inclusions
...that's grit, isn't it?

Nope, salty bits. Lovely ...

DavSel

Quote from: "Pedro"There it is, a Christmas cover for Neal...."Good King Wensleydale". :)

We should forward this idea to him  :D And a whole tour in which the merch area could sell cheese as well as the usual merch.... I'm making myself hungry at the idea!  :D

BrendanGee

Where else could you get from talking about Prog to cheeses, absolutely love it!  :D

I'm quite partial to a bit of Emmental myself, among other well-known types of cheese ;)

(On another note I'd like to say "Hello, chaps" to one & all. Also, to save a little bit of time: I would say chocolate digestives are my favourite biscuit ;) )
Bring on the Trumpets!

rogerg

Welcome!  And well done, that!!   8-)

DavSel

Quote from: "BrendanGee"Where else could you get from talking about Prog to cheeses, absolutely love it!  :D

I'm quite partial to a bit of Emmental myself, among other well-known types of cheese ;)

(On another note I'd like to say "Hello, chaps" to one & all. Also, to save a little bit of time: I would say chocolate digestives are my favourite biscuit ;) )

Welcome! You can't go wrong with a good digestive! Especially a chocolate one  ;)

Mikey

Quote from: "DavSel"You can't go wrong with a good digestive! Especially a chocolate one  ;)
with cheese, welcome
I used to have a signature