Main Menu

Seaboard

Started by Trapezium Artist, March 10, 2013, 11:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Interesting, if rather obviously hyped via "exclusive" previews to journos at the BBC, Guardian, and doubtless half a bazillion others:

http://www.weareroli.com

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8n-bEy9ISpM

From the very short demo, it would appear to be rather geared to a certain kind of lounge jazz sound (which left me pretty cold, I'm afraid), but I wonder if the underlying technology could be used to make a lot more interesting music in the hands of certain creative professionals. Cough.

Well, if you can get one: only 88 are being made at the outset and doubtless at daft cost. All part of the hype again, I'm sure.

But I must admit to be particularly tickled when I went to the "Our team" link, especially after having watched the rather amusing Sonic State podcast earlier in the week, when a certain Movies-Played-in-Your-Head-While-Asleep-in-the-local-House-of-Thespians keyboard player was humorously pinged for being all too ready to lend his name in endorsement of new gizmos  8-)

FreeThoughtTH

Looks very cool, but I'm getting kind of sick of these super-high end limited-edition products that companies keep showing off at expos like NAMM, etc. Why don't they just make a product we can all buy and enjoy?

The board looks very very cool though. Had a look through the (annoyingly constructed) website and couldn't find any specifications on the board itself though. Is it a MIDI controller only, or does it have built in sounds?

owen

is that the one that JR dragged Jem to go and play with? I vaguely remember seeing a tweet about that. It looks exactly like something Rudess will be demo-ing. If it is I thought that they were coming up with different sounds for it

E.S.

JR is shouting about this all the time. Billion notes per square inch and square wave based lead in 5....4....3... :)

BrendanGee

"JR: Head of Music Experience"....interesting.  ;)

Makes me wonder if this may be the instrument that will be used in the new F*** album?

All in all, it looks pretty cool. Hope there will be more sound options for it though.
Bring on the Trumpets!

Jem

I did indeed go with JR to ROLI labs to give it a spin. It is an interesting idea, but I'm curious to see if it will actually ignite people's imaginations.

Nice idea about JR playing one on 6MIS. I'll ask him if he fancies that. :D

FreeThoughtTH

Quote from: "Jem"I did indeed go with JR to ROLI labs to give it a spin. It is an interesting idea, but I'm curious to see if it will actually ignite people's imaginations.

Nice idea about JR playing one on 6MIS. I'll ask him if he fancies that. :D

I fancy that! Sounds like an excellent idea  :D