When did you first discover Frost*?

Started by DavSel, March 17, 2013, 06:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavSel

A pure curiosity topic than anything! Apologies if this sort of topic has already been posted before, I haven't seen anything, so just humour me!  :)

I'm quite a late comer in terms of Frost*. I first listened to Frost* in 2011. I'd been quite nieve with music up to then and since I left Uni I wanted to delve further and see what brilliant talent I could find! Also I hate the mainstream, but thats another story!

I was looking through John Mitchell's biography on Wikipedia or something, I'm a big It Bites and have listened to them since High School. I was interested in what else John had been in and the first thing I probably listened to upon seeing his list was Kino. I gave them a listen and loved it and since then I got the album. Then I noticed Frost*, I'd never really of them up to this point so I gave them a listen on spotify and the rest is history!

So I was just wondering when you first discovered Frost*?

Pedro

Well, other forums might say "Search is your friend" or some such...

//http://www.frost-music.co.uk/frosties/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2380

but I shall just repost what I said there here...

Quote from: "Somewhere else Pedro"I discovered that a colleague at work was similarly Prog-minded during a car journey from Munich airport to Regensburg in 2006. We'd not worked together before so out poured the tales of Genesis and Yes gigs, etc.
When we got to the topic of (then) currently still active bands, he pointed me towards Arena and IQ and the names Mitchell and Jowitt were mentioned with reference to their talent and appearance in more than one band.

While digging a bit deeper into these new finds, reference to a new project called "Frost*" popped up and a clip of BLM was heard....the steady and on-going slide into madness, fun and biscuit abuse began from that point.

I will always be grateful to my ProgPal for "waking me up" to the current Prog scene - his name is Ritchie Whitwell and he appears in the Supporting Cast for the Derby DVD shoot cos he was there too.

:)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

DavSel

Quote from: "Pedro"Well, other forums might say "Search is your friend" or some such...

//http://www.frost-music.co.uk/frosties/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2380

but I shall just repost what I said there here...

Quote from: "Somewhere else Pedro"I discovered that a colleague at work was similarly Prog-minded during a car journey from Munich airport to Regensburg in 2006. We'd not worked together before so out poured the tales of Genesis and Yes gigs, etc.
When we got to the topic of (then) currently still active bands, he pointed me towards Arena and IQ and the names Mitchell and Jowitt were mentioned with reference to their talent and appearance in more than one band.

While digging a bit deeper into these new finds, reference to a new project called "Frost*" popped up and a clip of BLM was heard....the steady and on-going slide into madness, fun and biscuit abuse began from that point.

I will always be grateful to my ProgPal for "waking me up" to the current Prog scene - his name is Ritchie Whitwell and he appears in the Supporting Cast for the Derby DVD shoot cos he was there too.

:)

Ahhh yes obviously must have missed that, search is not my friend. But great story into your find though!  :D

FreeThoughtTH

My band's guitarist first showed me them, fell in love with Milliontown :P. Jem's one of current prog's most gifted songwriters and keyboardists

cheekylittlebside

Right! Story Time!

Went to go see Spock's Beard @ Leeds Rio 2008 and this group of happy faced chaps came on the stage. I knew within a few minutes of opening I was going to check this band out. The lighthearted joking and messing about on stage between songs seem to strike a chord (hum...) with me, and others. By the end of Pocket Sun I was simply blown away (What a song!!) and I was hooked.

So as I sit here - looking for a job - listening to TPE I really couldn't be happier. Just need to figure out some of the bass bits now.

Bring on the new album chaps!!

Set-list Leeds Rio's 2008 : (off internet so not sure if its right)
1. Experiments in Mass Appeal
2. Hyperventilate
3. 2 become 1 (Spice Girls cover)
4. Pocket Sun
5. Sexy Back (JT remix)
6. Black Light Machine
7. Wonderland
8. The Other Me
(Bourbon)

BrendanGee

I was introduced to Frost* in 2009 if I recall correctly, by a friend who had found them through a friend of a friend from college.  :?

The song he played to me was Dear Dead Days. I was astounded by just how dynamic & all round epic the tune was, so I went off & successfully found the only remaining copy of EIMA in the local HMV. I had no such success with finding Milliontown (I'm the kinda guy that likes to have physical copies of albums I love) so I had to make do with online purchase.

Discovering Frost* was one of those times when the music just hits you & you instantly fall in love with it.
Bring on the Trumpets!

DavSel

Quote from: "BrendanGee"I was introduced to Frost* in 2009 if I recall correctly, by a friend who had found them through a friend of a friend from college.  :?

The song he played to me was Dear Dead Days. I was astounded by just how dynamic & all round epic the tune was, so I went off & successfully found the only remaining copy of EIMA in the local HMV. I had no such success with finding Milliontown (I'm the kinda guy that likes to have physical copies of albums I love) so I had to make do with online purchase.

Discovering Frost* was one of those times when the music just hits you & you instantly fall in love with it.

I'm the same, I have to have the physical copy of albums, I love building a collection  :)  Shame theres no physical copy of TPE but hey ho, still a great album digitally all the same!

DavSel

Quote from: "cheekylittlebside"Right! Story Time!

Went to go see Spock's Beard @ Leeds Rio 2008 and this group of happy faced chaps came on the stage. I knew within a few minutes of opening I was going to check this band out. The lighthearted joking and messing about on stage between songs seem to strike a chord (hum...) with me, and others. By the end of Pocket Sun I was simply blown away (What a song!!) and I was hooked.

So as I sit here - looking for a job - listening to TPE I really couldn't be happier. Just need to figure out some of the bass bits now.

Bring on the new album chaps!!

Set-list Leeds Rio's 2008 : (off internet so not sure if its right)
1. Experiments in Mass Appeal
2. Hyperventilate
3. 2 become 1 (Spice Girls cover)
4. Pocket Sun
5. Sexy Back (JT remix)
6. Black Light Machine
7. Wonderland
8. The Other Me

I love looking at setlists and this is an interesting one! Was this before EIMA was released?

cheekylittlebside

Quote from: "DavSel"
Quote from: "cheekylittlebside"I love looking at setlists and this is an interesting one! Was this before EIMA was released?

Songs 3+5 were not played. However I'm sure the spirit of those songs was in the atmosphere somewhere (about 5 miles up).  They still had "Dec" with them when I saw them. I'm guessing it must have been about the same time as release of EIMA release.
(Bourbon)

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "BrendanGee"I had no such success with finding Milliontown

Fear not. Milliontown is set to to get a bit of a polish once Mr. Godfrey regains the rights to it, and if all goes according to plan, it will be re-released in the not too distant future.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

FreeThoughtTH

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"
Quote from: "BrendanGee"I had no such success with finding Milliontown

Fear not. Milliontown is set to to get a bit of a polish once Mr. Godfrey regains the rights to it, and if all goes according to plan, it will be re-released in the not too distant future.

Keen for that