News! DVD! Albums! More albums!

Started by RacingHippo, May 12, 2013, 01:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacingHippo

As seen on Jem's blog (succinctly précis'd by Trapezium Artist (and then elaborated all over by me)):

• DVD to be released this year, probably October
  • No Six Minutes In September this year, but a new single album for the current record label, InsideOut, in summer 2014, in order to neatly complete the band's three-album deal with them.
  • 6MIS then released in 2015 and 2016
  • Milliontown and Experiments in Mass Appeal to be re-recorded with new drum and bass parts from current incumbents of those respective seats in the band, Craig "Blunders" Blundell and Nathan (Your Love Is) King

For a slightly more understandable version of this, read Jem's blog!
* May contain nuts.

gr8gonzo

I didn't pick up on plans for an album after 6MIS, but I'm barely awake. All fab news, of course!
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RacingHippo

You must have imagined I said that, what with you being barely awake
*quickly hides electronic pencil eraser*
* May contain nuts.

gr8gonzo

Hmm. I really must find some coffee to dunk my head in.  ;)

LivingForever

Re-recording the original albums, eh? That's an interesting idea!

I wonder if it'll be done from the ground up, or just by replacing the drums and bass parts?

I can't say I was thinking, you know what, I'd rather the current band were playing on these CDs rather than the people that did- but still, it'll be an interesting alternative version.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

BrendanGee

Hope there will be hard copies of the re-releases: I'm a tickler for having physical copies of my fave albums, and would be great to have one that contains what is probably the definitive version of Frost*. (Though I would like it to be known that I wouldn't discredit the performances/chops/all round top-blokery of the former members)  :)
Plans just keep getting bigger & bigger in the world of Frost*
Bring on the Trumpets!

E.S.

Brilliant!
Now everyone is happy, you can buy the new ones if you like Nath and Blunders but don't like Jowitt and TBE, or the opposite. But wait, he hasn't thought it through... what if you like Blunders and Jowitt, but not Nath and TBE? Or if you don't like Jem and John but like TBE, Blunders, Nath and Jowitt? Or if you don't like Frost* at all but prefer just a 440hz sine wave for an hour?

Not as foolproof as it seems.

:D

rogerg

FreeThoughtTH

I'd actually be keen for re-recording jobs done on EIMA. I really liked Milliontown and the production, but one thing that always bugged me about EIMA is the drum production. Didn't like it one bit TBH.

Sad that we have to wait so long for new material but it's better than nothing!

gr8gonzo

I got the impression the keys and guitars would largely remain the original tracks, but with some added bits and bobs, perhaps a new or altered section or arrangement. EIMA would definitely benefit from that treatment, as they've had to modify the Dec-based songs for the live set. Plus, I know many have never warmed to Pocket Sun's intentionally over-baked production.

I don't really care WHAT he does to them. I must have them.

I've listened to those albums hundreds of times and never once have I remarked, "Oooh, I really like what the bass is doing there." That's not a jab at JJ - not at all - he's a good guy and a good player. The songs just weren't written in a way that showcases the bass. The only part I've ever even noticed is during the BLM solo, and it's not anything remarkable. So, perhaps Nath will put his stamp on it, otherwise it would seem unnecessary.* Unlike the basslines, however, the drum parts are more than a little noticeable and Andy's playing is spectacular. Blunders is also a great guy and an amazing player who I'm sure would/already has put his own mark on the material. Indeed, the albums will quite possibly have a significantly different feel.

Regardless, I look forward to hearing the result with much enthusiasm.

*this could also be a way of getting around the label owning the rights. many bands re-record songs for this reason, however, if this was the case, the album would have to be redone from scratch.

owen

I vaguely recall Jem saying that the rights reverted to him after a certain amount of time, in which case he could do what he wants. He'll be a busy boy to squueze all that in and do his day job, produce Losers, or whoever, so I suspect the time scale can be taken with the proverbial pinch of NaCl. Wonderful news though: 3 new albums :) :) :)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: E.S. on May 13, 2013, 01:54:00 AM
Or if you don't like Frost* at all but prefer just a 440hz sine wave for an hour?

I'd be happy to sell you a limited edition version of that particular album for a reasonable price, E.S.

And an exclusive extended version, with a bonus disc of outakes and an edgier adults-only demo at 441Hz, can be had for just under three figures  8)

E.S.

Ooooh, want!

For the record, I love the albums just the way they are. Excited to hear what the new ones will sound like. And hidden within my stupid post is this: If you don't like it, we still have the originals. Everybody wins. :)

I'm hoping for that Welcome to Nowhere bit that was posted recently to find its way into the song. It's lovely. :D

DavSel

I wonder if they will keep all the original vocals? (Like with Dec Burke etc) Or would they re-record them as well?

Pedro

Any suggestion that Dec's vocals could be re-recorded without Dec doing it must surely involve the uncomfortable use of molegrips and hydraulic lederhosen.
Not recommended.
I would expect that such vocals would remain untouched.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"