The Black Mages.

Started by Sean, December 05, 2008, 06:18:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Call me whatever you will, these guys kickass. Mind you they are playing all Final Fantasy music, BUT they still kicks ass. I just I'm just a nerd. The guitar solo in Dancing Mad off their first album is one the best I've heard in quite some time.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

Gandalf1986

I have both The Black Mages and I think they're quite stunning! :D Mr Uematsu has done a pretty good work.
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Ziggy

They had a third album out this year, Darkness & Starlight, and it's too - F***ing - good. They still haven't done Dark Messenger (Trance Kuja FF9 boss theme) and i won't be satisfied until they do, but they do some of the themes from that area in the FF9 soundtrack, Assault of the Silver Dragons and Grand Cross (holy sh*t). The Extreme also, which is Ultimecia's final theme from FF8 which is incredible, and i personally love Distant Worlds after playing FFXI for a few years  :D

/worships uematsu

Valhall

The third album is indeed amazing. The tracklist includes THE ONE TRACK I wanted them to cover (well, it's not really covers since Uematsu-san IS a part of he band, but whatever) : The Extreme.

It also featured Grand Cross which is another amazing final boss theme... And of course, the title track which is probably their best effort to date.

Still, I must point out that their sound went down the toilet since The Skies Above. The production is terrible on this third album, and almost (ALMOST - I'm a damn nerd too) ruined it for me.

Here's a small Christmas gift :

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 9C4EA953F6

Enjoy  8-)

Oh, and for those of you who don't already know, Nobuo's the glasses/moustache-wearing dude on stage right. He rocks !

EDIT : well, as it seems I have some fellow FF fans on the forum here... Am I experiencing audio hallucinations or are the very last seconds of Milliontown veeery FF VIII-like ?  :idea:
...Whatever.

Ziggy

I don't know about melodically but it's somewhat similar to The Successor which is a nice piano track from the FF8 ending section.

There has always been countless such similarities between great prog and video game music, i think :)

The new CD even has some of these moments. Falling Down's piano riffs @ 4:13, and especially @ 4:24 shouts Secret of Mana to me. @ 2:48 on the same song, is totally a Bond theme moment.

Valhall

Quote from: "Ziggy"I don't know about melodically but it's somewhat similar to The Successor which is a nice piano track from the FF8 ending section.

It's also (somehow) reminding me of other tracks from the game OST. Like Balamb Garden or The Oath, etc. More of a feeling than hearing exactly the same notes...

QuoteThere has always been countless such similarities between great prog and video game music, i think :)

Of course ! Especially Nobuo Uematsu and Motoi Sakuraba, who are great rock fans...

By the way, the Ogre Battle saga also features some heavy rock/prog references throughout its many games... For exemple, the first one was Ogre Battle : March of the Black Queen, and the seventh chapter, Tactics Ogre, is subtitled "Let Us Cling Together"...
Uematsu-san also like to hide rock/prog nuggets in his music... Tracks like Maybe I'm A Lion for example, or more recently the Blue Dragon battle theme featuring Ian Gillan !

QuoteThe new CD even has some of these moments. Falling Down's piano riffs @ 4:13, and especially @ 4:24 shouts Secret of Mana to me.

Noticed it too  :D
...Whatever.