Piano Clinics?

Started by DavSel, June 04, 2013, 04:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavSel

Anyone know if such things exist?

I've been to a couple of Blunders's drum clinics, as my mate is a drummer and appreciates that sort of thing obviously! As well as my own genuine curiosity of the music production side of things he does, and I really enjoy watching it, its so interesting!

I was wondering as an amateur keyboardist... if any Piano clinics take place around the UK at all? Can't seem to find anything much around the net... probably because I'm looking in the wrong place!

Help would be appreciated!

:D

owen

I heard of something similar, for percussionists in general, I think. It's called a clap clinic?

Mikey

Quote from: owen on June 04, 2013, 04:44:13 PM
I heard of something similar, for percussionists in general, I think. It's called a clap clinic?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I used to have a signature

DavSel

Quote from: owen on June 04, 2013, 04:44:13 PM

Well I had heard the rumours  ;)

E.S.

First of all, owen wins the internet.!  ;D

It's not often you see someone doing proper clinics outside of NAMM or Musikmesse, sadly. 99% of it is to demonstrate new kit, I've never really seen any player's clinics anywhere.

Mikey

Quote from: E.S. on June 04, 2013, 09:15:53 PM
First of all, owen wins the internet.!  ;D

It's not often you see someone doing proper clinics outside of NAMM or Musikmesse, sadly. 99% of it is to demonstrate new kit, I've never really seen any player's clinics anywhere.
Aren't they called lessons?

owen

On a slightly more serious note I have heard of guitarists doing workshops, which usually means the"audience" brings theirs, too. Or masterclasses where they don't, but unless its a very small place or you have video screens I can't see how it would be possible for a piano player to do something similar. I think Mikey is right: time for proper lessons. Or YouTube.

FreeThoughtTH

JR has done clinics before. You can get classical pianists doing masterclasses as well. I study at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and we've had some well known classical piano guys come in a couple of times to do masterclasses with the piano majors.

They're just not as common as guitar/drum clinics because how many well known, virtuosic keyboardists are there? (compared to guitarists/drummers anyway). There just aren't that many.

Mooncat

Other than recital type things, the nearest you're likely to get here in the UK are manufacturers gear launch 'tours' at local shops (I'm thinking stuff like the Roland 'Planet' demo's etc).

Sadly with less and less people getting up off their internet connections to attend such events, and the costs involved in putting such things on, manufacturers are increasingly moving towards youtube product demo's (see Jem's Korg stuff, and Roland Fantom before that) as a way of hitting more people for less money :(
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

DavSel

Cheers for the feedback guys, I had a feeling there wasn't much BUT you don't ask you don't get right? I do have lessons anyway so thats not an issue, just more of a general wonderment than anything :)

Mikey

RacingHippo

Quote from: Mikey on June 05, 2013, 07:40:03 PM
Quote from: owen on June 04, 2013, 11:09:28 PM
I think Mikey is right:
There's a first  :) :) :)
Don't let it go to your head, Mikey.
It doesn't necessarily mean that you are right, just that Owen had a momentary lapse of reason  8)
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

Quote from: RacingHippo on June 06, 2013, 09:47:34 AM
just that Owen had a momentary lapse of reason  8)
That's better

owen

Well, I did say slightly more serious.  ;)