Milliontown (re-)released on Bandcamp!

Started by RacingHippo, July 26, 2013, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacingHippo

With ExtrasTM!

As reported by Jem on The Blog, the rights to Milliontown have reverted back to his good self, and in celebration, he's released it digitally on Bandcamp for the bargain price of One Poorly Octopoid.

But that's not all.
Rather than repeat himself, just go and read the blog!

Also: Congrats to ES :)
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

E.S.

Hurrah!

Wait.. that means I just bought my own track.  ???

RacingHippo

Quote from: E.S. on July 26, 2013, 01:49:43 PM

Welcome to the Music Industry!

Um...
* May contain nuts.

L33VEY

Quote from: RacingHippo on July 26, 2013, 02:30:39 PM
Quote from: E.S. on July 26, 2013, 01:49:43 PM

Welcome to the Music Industry!

Um...

For E.S. it's a "free bonus" - for the rest of us it's what we paid money for?   8)
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

LivingForever

Listening now. Some very obvious changes. And an overall subtly fuller sound if I am not mistaken.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

LivingForever

All the parts in the altered songs seem less squished- like they have more room to breathe. Almost sounds like a remix and I'm imagining I hear it onthe other songs  too.

RacingHippo

Absolutely agree with you, LFE. It's "fuller" and somehow rather refreshed.
Particularly noticeable on Hyperventilate and Milliontown, I thought.

Second listening coming up....
* May contain nuts.

RacingHippo

Also: Hyperventilate 2013 drums: !!!!!!! 8)
* May contain nuts.

JimD

Quote from: RacingHippo on July 26, 2013, 05:09:42 PM
Also: Hyperventilate 2013 drums: !!!!!!! 8)

And all them swishy synths at the beginning.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

JakeWorrell

The mixing on the live stuff sounds great to me, the bass sound is gorgeous.

And I also agree that the altered Milliontown tracks sound good too.

£6 very well spent!
"The longer the note, the more dread."

kyuwert

From my first listening comparison, I gotta say that Milliontown benefits from the lack of whatever went into the CD mastering. The songs have a little bit more dynamic range (I'll take all I can get!) and the high frequencies are less "piercing." I can do a full frequency analysis later, since I love this sort of thing. One thing I'll be changing on my personal copy, however, is adjusting the relative volumes back to how they were for the original release. "No Me No You" is almost 2-3 dB quieter on this digital release and it just doesn't really feel right in the flow of things, IMO ;)  Of course I'll be lowering the volume of the other tracks to compensate, don't wanna go and ruin it!

kyuwert

Also it's a shame we couldn't get some 24 bit FLACs here!  :P

LivingForever

Quote from: vkamicht on July 26, 2013, 11:10:47 PM
From my first listening comparison, I gotta say that Milliontown benefits from the lack of whatever went into the CD mastering. The songs have a little bit more dynamic range (I'll take all I can get!) and the high frequencies are less "piercing." I can do a full frequency analysis later, since I love this sort of thing.

Yes that's basically what I was trying to say- I imagine that everything had to be remastered since some of the tracks had changed, and whatever Jem did or didn't do to master them is much better to my ears than the original CD.

In fact throughout the entire album I was swearing I could hear things that I'd never noticed before- making me wonder just how much tinkering had been done. (The exception being NMNY- I wonder if this is the only track which retained its original mastering?)

I'm assuming it was actually just the start of Milliontown, the start of Hyperventilate and the end of BLM that have actually been updated- but the whole thing had me hearing all kinds of little guitar and keys parts which were just a giant piercing mush before.

Might just be "first listen" syndrome but this seems like an absolute winner to me.

rogerg

> but the whole thing had me hearing all kinds of little guitar and keys parts which were just a giant piercing mush before.

agreed.  I was leery of buying it, since I already have it, and all the live versions, etc. but whoa.  cool.