Milliontown (re-)released on Bandcamp!

Started by RacingHippo, July 26, 2013, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LivingForever

What does anyone think about the obvious changes then?

The new start to Hyperventilate is quite nice- not better or worse, just different!

The changes to BLM I can't quite place- it seems like there's an extra guitar solo right at the end that I don't remember being there before- sounds immensely good though! Maybe some extra vox effects right at the start.

The lack of the movie quote at the start of Milliontown doesn't really bother me either, although it seems a bit sparse there now. I am slightly miffed about the quiet few bars in the middle just before the "My worm cathedral" reprise being cut out though. I've always liked them and do miss them live.

Is it possible there's anew backwards message too? Wasn't quite sure on that.

Pedro!!

Ooh forgot to say I like the fact that the quiet bit at the end of Milliontown is now sensible volume so you don't have to turn up the speakers to hear it.

All in all, jolly good!
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

kyuwert

Here's the change in frequency response in the new Hyperventilate: http://i.imgur.com/Uk2K2ob.png. They aren't all identical to this but share similarities.

kyuwert

Just got to Milliontown. Love that Jem removed the fake-deeper-voice filter off his vocals. :)

Steven

Ooh. Lots of subtle changes going on here! Some are a little jarring when I'm so used to the old versions, but I have no doubt they'll grow on me, and some are genuine improvements. It's great that this wasn't just a straight re-release, all the little tweaks make it quite fun to listen closely to the new versions and try to spot the difference between these and the older ones. I do miss the movie quote in Milliontown though! I'm not catching all of the changes mentioned so far, but I've spotted a few of the more obvious ones - more listens required!

AndreasK

So far I really love the added dynamic range on Hyperventilate (first listen right now, actually). My readings have it at almost 1dB of added dynamics! The bass doesn't get lost anymore, cymbals lost a bit of that "phased farts of satan pitch shifted up 2 octaves" compression, kick is punchier (though Jem always does wonders mixing his kicks). I hope the rest of the songs are like this! And also here's hoping that Frost* 3 will be even less compressed!
- Andreas

LivingForever

Agree completely! If he'd sold this as a remaster I'd have been very happy with the results- seems to have happened almost by accident.

Can anyone confirm that I am not going insane and that there is extra guitar at the end of BLM? Or has it just been turned up?
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

owen

The phone box is on the other side (can't see on my iPad whether its a mirror image but I don't think so)

Steven

Wow, well spotted Owen! You're right, the image has been flipped. Other than the text ('Telephone' on the box, and the album title) it does look more-or-less like a straight mirror image though. I didn't even notice it, to be honest, til I saw your post.

Brom

Quote from: Steven on July 29, 2013, 11:34:16 PM
Wow, well spotted Owen! You're right, the image has been flipped. Other than the text ('Telephone' on the box, and the album title) it does look more-or-less like a straight mirror image though. I didn't even notice it, to be honest, til I saw your post.

I wonder if they reversed the charges as well!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

DueyC

Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Erethism

Quote from: LivingForever on July 29, 2013, 09:20:26 PM
Can anyone confirm that I am not going insane and that there is extra guitar at the end of BLM? Or has it just been turned up?

If you're talking about the one in the last 30 seconds up until the very end, then no, it's always been there. There are so many tiny improvements, though I'm not sure if I can hear them all. I've picked up on the obvious ones and in general I feel the album is better balanced (less compressed), as a few others have mentioned.

Overall a well worth investment and obviously a great way to support the band directly. It'll be fun comparing this to the upcoming re-recorded album and again with the originals.

Also, props to E.S. and his incredible mix of The Other Me. That thing is seriously catchy!

Honorary Executive Producer of Spock\'s Beard X

owen

+1 for that. I vaguely remembered it but once I heard it all I realized I hadn't. Was it a video?

JakeWorrell

Quote from: Erethism on July 30, 2013, 11:17:03 AM
a great way to support the band directly.

Word. To me, this is the most important thing :)
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Bert

Much more space in the mix. Bass fuller. More dynamics. Some tinkering done in the mix without doubt. Can't believe no one's mentioned the scraping guitar at the end of The Other Me yet.

Or the dog barking in Hyperventilate.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Steven

I caught the guitar in The Other Me, but a dog in Hyperventilate? Where? :p