Main Menu

KORG MS20 KIT

Started by sawtooth, January 24, 2014, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawtooth

Korgs new take on selling the MS20 is apparently build your own!

http://www.korg.com/uk/products/dj/ms_20kit

which is fitting, seeing as one MS20 I used to own spent a lot of it's time in bits in the 80's!  ;D

Rook

And it is a FULL SIZE KEYBOARD! Yay!

On the other hand, WTF, Roland? I understand that the Kronos is hard to compete with, but it looks like you aren't even trying.

On the other OTHER hand, Yamaha and Kurzweil aren't even trying...

E.S.

I've already ordered it, and expect it at the end of March.  ;D

E.S.

Oh, and Roland... who knows? They'll launch their Aira line in February, which is a 808/909/new drum machine which may be partly analogue, most likely something to follow up the SH 101 and TB 303 too... and who knows what else. I don't hold my breath, but they may finally have jumped on the "EDM" wagon after a few embarrassing years. They did the awesome V-Synth and the nice but slightly dull sounding GAIA, but that's it.

They did sort of launch a "Fantom Light" now, but no proper flagship yet, at least not in my opinion. No after touch? Seriously?

Yamaha don't care. They make awesome pianos.

Kurz is always a mystery.

Rook

Agree about the v-synth. If Roland had rolled the V-synth and the Jupiter 80 engines into something like the Fantom G format (and not half assed it) they might have has a contender.

Rook

I must say that new Moog looks pretty tempting for the price...

Edit... I think I am becoming obsessed with it. Not least because it is  something I could actually afford.  I have already got Mrs. Rook to agree that it is a very sexy looking keyboard...

EvilDragon

I'm getting that Sub 37, it's soooo amazing!

sawtooth

One slight difference looking at the MS20 kit is that it appears  to have a wall-wart power supply rather than built in as per the original. Progress eh?

MarkOneMusic

Quote from: EvilDragon on January 27, 2014, 09:24:20 AM
I'm getting that Sub 37, it's soooo amazing!

Yeah, I'm getting quite a case of gearlust for that!

MarkOneMusic

... But at over a grand for a bag of bits you have to put together yourself, I think Korg are somewhat extracting the urine.

For the same kind of money you could get a bag of bits to make a reasonable modular including an MS20 style filter from the likes of Doepfer.

Go figure

E.S.

It's a bit much, frankly. But, it's a collector's item, and I have a very special deal with the people who import Korg to the country, so it'll be significantly cheaper.

For most people the Mini would make more sense. Apart from the different filter versions they should sound identical.

icemelle