Wake up Rosetta!

Started by Trapezium Artist, December 10, 2013, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owen

He did seem nice, gave a little bit more of a hard time to the next chap, from the sky at night. What's the point, £1B etc. Other guy was having none of it mind (Rosetta hasn't taken the money away, and other stuff). Probably more impressed with you being introduced as a prof instead of merely dr!

rogerg

JimD

QuoteLovely interview ... Hope it came over that way on Newsnight yesterday (haven't seen it yet; am now in Paris for the next meeting)

iPlayer users can zap forward to about 36 mins to get the Rosetta report and TA's friendly chat with Mr P. The next chap did indeed bat back the barbs admirably too; nice to see the mission is well represented by its spokespeople.

Did any of the wake-up messages get broadcast to the spaceship?
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Mikey

Grats TA,
Here is the news, from the forum to Paxman & the times, eh.
Early mornings means I didn't watch it last night but I have it "taped"

Is one of your toys, a machine that's working in black light, powered by it's own pocket sun?
I used to have a signature

D S

Quote from: Mikey on January 21, 2014, 11:59:11 AMIs one of your toys, a machine that's working in black light, powered by it's own pocket sun?
Nicely played, sir!  You even put in an extra apostrophe just to annoy TA!  ;)
I also recorded Newsnight so am looking forward to watching it tonight.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Trapezium Artist

Thanks, all: much appreciated. It was a very busy day and you mustn't forget that even though I was one of the people sticking their fizzog down the broadcast cameras, there were many, many others at work behind the scenes, and many of them have worked on this project for many years. Their emotion was palpable.

It's interesting to hear that Paxman saved up the "waste of money?" question for Chris Lintott from Sky at Night, if only because it's an entirely predictable question from him, but then why not pose it to the Agency that's spent the money, not a young(er) scientist who works for the BBC?

I've heard conflicting reports on how the segment "felt" in the end, so I'll have to watch it. I can only repeat that my talk with Jeremy was very nice, both during the interview and before and after too. Of course, he could have been toying with me, and then edited the crap out of it :-)

Mikey: no pocket sun (nuclear power) on board Rosetta. It's powered solely by the full-size Sun, albeit currently at a fairly large distance away.

JimD: not yet; we have to do all the check-out stuff first, plus we need to go through all the videos and check / select winners. My communications team, including the social media folk, are all pretty exhausted at the moment (as am I  :o).

Mikey

Quote from: D S on January 21, 2014, 01:38:53 PM
Quote from: Mikey on January 21, 2014, 11:59:11 AMIs one of your toys, a machine that's working in black light, powered by it's own pocket sun?
Nicely played, sir!  You even put in an extra apostrophe just to annoy TA!  ;)
I also recorded Newsnight so am looking forward to watching it tonight.
You missed here is the news'
I used to have a signature

D S

Indeed I did - but it's just an ELO cover anyway!  ;)
Annoyed to discover that Newsnight in Scotland is not the same as Newsnight in England - our version was TA-less. >:( Off to BBC iPlayer now to see if I can find the interview...
Come on, you\'re a lion!

catherine

TA - I loved the way that Paxo had 3 goes (at least) at pronouncing your surname and managed to get it different each time!  ;D

Pedro

Yeah, stuffed it up a bit, didn't he?  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: catherine on January 22, 2014, 07:45:38 PM
TA - I loved the way that Paxo had 3 goes (at least) at pronouncing your surname and managed to get it different each time!  ;D

He did get it right when we spoke on the pre-record, if only because I'd told his producer how to say it. Thus it is possible that he got it right on one of the attempts; still haven't watched it back myself yet :-)

RacingHippo

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on January 22, 2014, 10:20:18 PMstill haven't watched it back myself yet :-)
You should. You were the very epitome of Cool Sciencey Dude :)
* May contain nuts.

Brom

Been watching all this from work, which has firewall issues which has stopped me posting - hopefully fixed soon. Great work TA and team. I fondly remember the buzz/thrill/goosebumps I got when we received signals from an aerial sensor that was only a couple of miles away - but what you and the team have achieved is amazing... can't begin to imagine how it felt! Congrats!!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

D S

Come on, you\'re a lion!

rogerg