Wake up Rosetta!

Started by Trapezium Artist, December 10, 2013, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

When Philae wakes, I trust this thread will come out of hibernation, too? I've enjoyed having this somewhat unique perspective that you've provided us here and truly hope it continues. And since you're the only one from the team here, you get all the credit.  :)

It's been enjoyable following the mission with you. Thank you for keeping us in the loop, Trapezium ARTist.  ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

Trapezium Artist

Thanks all again: is always a pleasure to know how many people are interested and following along.

Of course, it's important to realise that with Philae asleep now (perhaps to re-awake when we get closer to the Sun), the main Rosetta orbiter is carrying on, working very well, and studying the comet from a distance as it starts to wake up and spread its wings.

Although last week was Philae's, 2015 will be Rosetta's. Promises to be quite a ride.

And we're starting to plan a big event for 13 August, the day when 67P/C-G and Rosetta will be nearest the Sun. Expect something with a musical bent; I hope you all saw the various snippets of music that we released last week from Vangelis ...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJrUnzLsmZk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bVOGN9jSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUpSVxoCcik

rogerg

Mikey

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on November 16, 2014, 08:23:22 PM
Quote from: DueyC on November 16, 2014, 05:17:40 PM
Which of his many appearances yielded that gem?

The special private one I did on MikeylandTV, I think. Audience of one.  ;)
Maybe I had a dream.   :)
I used to have a signature

Mikey

Quote from: gr8gonzo on November 16, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
Thank you for keeping us in the loop, Trapezium ARTist.  ;)
You missed a trick. Where were you on the Sky at Night?

& probably a more pertinent question, What were you doing in the mission on launch day?

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Mikey on November 17, 2014, 08:09:54 PM
Quote from: gr8gonzo on November 16, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
Thank you for keeping us in the loop, Trapezium ARTist.  ;)
You missed a trick. Where were you on the Sky at Night?

& probably a more pertinent question, What were you doing in the mission on launch day?

I was in there briefly, chatting to Lintott while looking at an iPad. I received an email from the producer, Rob Liddell, about half an hour before it was broadcast to say "thanks for all the great interview stuff [I did a fair amount with them], but it all ended up on the cutting room floor".

Tant pis, as they say in France (where I am this evening). Not like I didn't get plenty of air time on every other programme, eh? I think I'm on for hours in both of the National Geographic and Discovery Channel documentaries made earlier ;)

As for launch day, err, in March 2004 I was a researcher at the Astrophysikalisches Institut in Potsdam, shortly before moving to become a professor of astrophysics in Exeter. Completely comet-free.

Johnny Come-Lately, I know  :P

RacingHippo

I love the way you drop that into conversation: "Professor of Astrophysics - yeah, done that, got the t-shirt."
8)
* May contain nuts.

catherine

As I suspected. Yahoo News has let the cat out of the bag regarding Rosetta. It's actually a mission to contact alien life, as allegedly NASA has been receiving radio signals from it for the last 20 years, and it is in actual fact an ancient spaceship.

"News site BT Watch showed off an anonymous email which seemed to prove that a European Space Agency (ESA) insider admitted the whole mission was set up to trace the mysterious signal."

Well, chaps and chapesses - we all know "a European Space Agency insider", don't we?  ;)

owen

No chance. A true media tart would never do something anonymously  ;)

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: RacingHippo on November 18, 2014, 11:04:14 AM
I love the way you drop that into conversation: "Professor of Astrophysics - yeah, done that, got the t-shirt."
8)

For a while, I was double prof: simultaneously at the University of Potsdam and in Exeter.

But y'know what, I know loads of 'em: they're nothing special. Ten a penny.  8)

Rook

Quote from: RacingHippo on November 18, 2014, 11:04:14 AM
8)

Heh. My Wife's actual job description is "Professor of Galactic Archaeology". Kinda makes her sound like a female cross between Indianna Jones and Han Solo...

D S

Quote from: Rook on November 19, 2014, 08:01:48 AM
Heh. My Wife's actual job description is "Professor of Galactic Archaeology". Kinda makes her sound like a female cross between Indianna Jones and Han Solo...
Now, THAT'S a proper job title...  :o 8)  and one which would keep Harrison Ford very busy.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: D S on November 19, 2014, 09:10:42 AM
Quote from: Rook on November 19, 2014, 08:01:48 AM
Now, THAT'S a proper job title...  :o 8)  and one which would keep Harrision Ford very busy.
Yeh, I like that  8)

owen

Way cooler than.....err.....never mind!