Wake up Rosetta!

Started by Trapezium Artist, December 10, 2013, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on March 21, 2016, 04:27:07 PM
You wish you could be TA? Who the hell are you then, MT?

The shadow, the shape-shifter, the man in the gaps, the chamaeleon ...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipYOHjHlPw&list=RD1ipYOHjHlPw

sawtooth

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 22, 2016, 09:44:06 AM
Quote from: owen on March 21, 2016, 04:27:07 PM
You wish you could be TA? Who the hell are you then, MT?

The shadow, the shape-shifter, the man in the gaps, the chamaeleon ...  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ipYOHjHlPw&list=RD1ipYOHjHlPw

At first read I thought you had typed 'The man in the chaps' there TA. I thought to myself, that TA is a man of many talents, but line dancing would've been a bit left field! :-)

manoncharles

Someone told me "Talking to him is like talking to the internet" (I'm not going to say who :P)
Let's just start a "TA appreciation club".
A fairytale in negative

JimD

Quote from: manoncharles on March 25, 2016, 10:35:24 AMLet's just start a "TA appreciation club".

This *is* the TA appreciation club, in as much as it's a place where I can come and appreciate all that he is doing for both space and prog.

It's, like, the main forum is for Frost* of course, a wide boulevard in a neon city with a synthesizer soundtrack, whilst the TAAC is a parallel path, leading off into space (and recollections of Yes concerts).

One simply couldn't wish for more.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: JimD on March 25, 2016, 10:54:11 AM
Quote from: manoncharles on March 25, 2016, 10:35:24 AMLet's just start a "TA appreciation club".

This *is* the TA appreciation club, in as much as it's a place where I can come and appreciate all that he is doing for both space and prog.

It's, like, the main forum is for Frost* of course, a wide boulevard in a neon city with a synthesizer soundtrack, whilst the TAAC is a parallel path, leading off into space (and recollections of Yes concerts).

One simply couldn't wish for more.

Oh, good grief: stop it, you lot  8)

For those you interested in space and the way we made the sausage of Rosetta outreach and communications, here's a detailed set of articles by the brilliant people at ESA who I have the privilege of working with every day (whether I'm in the office or via email when away). Might be fun for some of you to read:

http://www.capjournal.org/issues/19/index.php

Am embarrassed that my picture appears in there so much, but I didn't select them or edit. Besides, most (!) of the team are a heck of a lot more attractive than me  :)

Anyway, I do very much appreciate being able to talk space with everyone here, and I'm hoping we'll have a few more space-prog-music cross-over loveliness for you as the year continues  ;)

Mikey

Only the true messiah...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to have a signature

manoncharles

That CAP journal is very very interesting, I'll try to read the previous issues when I have time ! Thanks for sharing TA.
PS: someone's pictures appear even more often ; that attention-seeker Chury ! ;-)
A fairytale in negative

rogerg

But did you know Winnipeg is the capital and largest city of the Canadian province of Manitoba. The name comes from Western Cree words for muddy or brackish water, referring to Lake Winnipeg, which is just north of the city along the Red River. The region was a trading centre for aboriginal peoples long before the arrival of Europeans. French traders built the first fort on the site in 1738. A settlement was founded in 1812 by the Selkirk settlers of the Red River Colony, the nucleus of which was incorporated as the City of Winnipeg in 1873. The census of 2011 lists Winnipeg as the seventh most populous municipality in Canada. Known as the "Gateway to the West", it is a transportation hub with a diversified economy. Its annual festivals include the Festival du Voyageur, the Winnipeg Folk Festival, the Jazz Winnipeg Festival, the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, and Folklorama.

Trapezium Artist

Righty-ho, you lot ... some more Rosetta news for you all, this time with a decidedly proggy flavour.

As some of you will know, the mission will end on 30 September this year when we deliberately land Rosetta on Comet 67P. As the two head out in the outer solar system, there's not much power being generated by the solar panels and so we'd have to put Rosetta back to sleep again, with no guarantee that it'll wake up a second time, as in early 2014.

Instead, we're going to land it, or more properly, make a "controlled impact" at about half walking pace, doing science all the way down. Rosetta won't survive landing, as it was never designed to do this, and the main comms antenna won't point at Earth anymore anyway.

But it'll be a cool way to go out and we'll have another big media event at our mission ops centre in Germany.

Where's the prog, I hear you ask? Well, just a week beforehand on 23 September and as announced today by Decca Records / Universal Music, legenedary synth twiddler, Mr Vangelis himself, will release the first studio album he's made in 15-18 years (depending on who you believe at Decca), and the name is "Rosetta".

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2016/07/29/new-vangelis-album-inspired-by-esas-rosetta-mission/
http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm
http://www.udiscovermusic.com/vangelis-re-enters-the-stratosphere

Yup, a whole album of music inspired by the mission: very cool. Three tracks were composed and released at the time of Philae's landing in November 2014, but these have been reworked alongside another ten new tracks. We didn't commission it or pay for it; he was just inspired and went off and did it. Top chap.

I have the album and there's some corking classic Big V stuff in there, including one track at least that could be straight from Blade Runner.

Big pleasure to be involved, I can tell you.

Now, if only I can get to Jon Anderson when he gets his gong at the Prog Awards in early September and tell the two to patch things up and record another album together, I'd be one happy bunny.

More Rosetta surprises to come over the next two months  ;)

rogerg

I saw something about this the other day.  Very cool!!

DueyC

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on July 29, 2016, 03:21:51 PM

Now, if only I can get to Jon Anderson when he gets his gong at the Prog Awards in early September and tell the two to patch things up and record another album together, I'd be one happy bunny.

Cool! And if you can twist Jon's arm I'll be a happy bunny too. But I thought the falling out originated with Vangelis? Do you have any arm-twisting influence there?

More surprises? What fun!
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Mordwin

That's very cool TA!

63 days left, but I'm sure Rosetta will be sent of into the eternal night is splendid fashion! (And there's no doubt enough data to keep scientists busy for many years to come too).

owen

Very cool indeed :D :D

But the fault was Jon's: he used some stuff (or possibly mixed something, I forget) and Mr V took offence. And has supposedly never forgiven him

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: DueyC on July 29, 2016, 05:59:10 PM
Quote from: Trapezium Artist on July 29, 2016, 03:21:51 PM

Cool! And if you can twist Jon's arm I'll be a happy bunny too. But I thought the falling out originated with Vangelis? Do you have any arm-twisting influence there?

Yep, I know Vangelis: have a video of me listening to him playing one night in his apartment. Will post it now that the secret's out :-)

Will see him soon again, I hope, so arms will be twisted. Yes, I know they fell out, but we can live in hope. They're old chaps now ...

More surprises? What fun!

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: owen on July 29, 2016, 08:28:24 PM
Very cool indeed :D :D

But the fault was Jon's: he used some stuff (or possibly mixed something, I forget) and Mr V took offence. And has supposedly never forgiven him

I think Jon issued an alternate version of Page of Life in the US without V's permission, with some tracks dropped, some added, some editing, and complete resequencing.

Having some idea now of what a perfectionist V is and how closely he is involved in absolutely every part of something he puts out, I can see how Anderson doing this will have mightily pissed V off.

Whether he's willing to forgive & forget 18 years on, I don't know, and I haven't asked (because I didn't want to jeopardise this project  8)).

But now it's done, what've I got to lose, eh?  ;)