Main Menu

Young Guns V Old gits

Started by Mikey, September 15, 2013, 07:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Friday 13th September
First Direct arena, Leeds

Kaiser Chiefs

Have to say that I was far from impressed by both the venue and band. The 13,500 arena was far from full. It has been built on the outskirts of the City Centre, away from the Bus and Railway stations, and although it advertises car parking within walking distance, it's not that accessible.
Mandy being a First Direct employee, we headed for the quick service till, which was considerably slower that walking in through the front doors.

The band might be a cue for the return of the Sex Pistols. This was corporate pop rock. A band that looked like it was on a contractual obligation tour. If you are going to look bored, don't be surprised if your fans to look bored. There was a great deal of apathy from a vast number of the attending crowd. The songs are bland. Yes they will have made a fortune from them but where is the musicianship? No solos from anyone.

It would seem I wasn't the only one not impressed http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/what-s-on/arts-entertainment/music-and-gigs/gig-review-kaiser-chiefs-first-direct-arena-leeds-1-6051677

Saturday
14th September 2013
Picturedrome, Holmfirth

Manfred Mann's Earthband

What a difference a day makes. A belting set from MME. A band who enjoyed playing as much as we enjoyed listening. Mick Rodgers was outstanding on guitar and (some) vocals, Robert Hart belting out the other classics, very impressive. Despite looking like an irate Amish preacher, there was some keytar action from Manfred himself, who came out from behind his rig and boogied with the band. You would n't believe he's 72, Mick being a mere youngster at almost 67.
The picturedrome is an excellent little venue which seems to be very appreciated by the bands that play there.

Overheard on the way out
Proper musicians playing proper songs

That sums it up quite nicely

Manfred Mann's Earthband 5 (old gits that enjoyed themselves)
Kaiser Chiefs 0

Is Manfred the Grandfather of prog?
I used to have a signature

DavSel

Not a fan of Kaiser Chiefs, listened to some of their material and yes it is very bland. Cannot stand these huge bands who only seem interested in the money they will be making from these shows. I would much rather be in a more intimate venue with musicians who actually want to play and enjoy themselves while having actual talent.

On a lighter note, I do like Holmfirth Picturedrome, great venue! Seen Mike and The Mechanics and The Flower Kings there, both great shows!

RacingHippo

Quote from: DavSel on September 22, 2013, 01:21:17 AM
I would much rather be in a more intimate venue with musicians who actually want to play and enjoy themselves while having actual talent.

You hit the non-threaded fastener squarely on its blunt end, there.
Do you know any such performers.....?  ;D

On a lighter note, I do like Holmfirth Picturedrome, great venue! Seen Mike and The Mechanics and The Flower Kings there, both great shows!
I've seen some great bands there. It Bites on one of their first "reformed" tours for one. And Thomas Dolby, who was notable for
a) climbing up the speaker stack and along the balcony railings during "Hyperactive" (yes, he can still be completely unhinged when the feeling takes him)
and
b) Telling the mob at the back by the bar who had been chattering ceaselessly throughout to "shut the f*** up or leave". (I don't know which option they took, but the effect was the same!)

I should see who they've got coming really, shouldn't I......
* May contain nuts.

DavSel

Quote from: RacingHippo on September 24, 2013, 12:32:40 PM
I would much rather be in a more intimate venue with musicians who actually want to play and enjoy themselves while having actual talent.
Quote from: RacingHippo on September 24, 2013, 12:32:40 PM

You hit the non-threaded fastener squarely on its blunt end, there.
Do you know any such performers.....?  ;D

Hmmm I'm sure there's a couple somewhere... ;)

I've seen some great bands there. It Bites on one of their first "reformed" tours for one. And Thomas Dolby, who was notable for
a) climbing up the speaker stack and along the balcony railings during "Hyperactive" (yes, he can still be completely unhinged when the feeling takes him)
and
b) Telling the mob at the back by the bar who had been chattering ceaselessly throughout to "shut the f*** up or leave". (I don't know which option they took, but the effect was the same!)

I should see who they've got coming really, shouldn't I......

Haha perhapes! :)

Mikey

Mostly Autumn & Chantel McGregor next up for me at the Picturedrome
(Next Friday)
I used to have a signature