These new-fangled Electrical Drum Kits

Started by RacingHippo, February 02, 2014, 08:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacingHippo

There's a possibility I may need to pick up the sticks again for a London-based project.
(Don't get excited - it's a very amateur thing doing covers, and necessarily so given I'm only in that neck of the woods 2.5 nights a week).
Which means I'll need something to practice hitting.
But quietly.

I am led to believe that the Niponese Ya-ma-ha people and the denizens of the Land of Ro (amongst others) have cleverly invented such a thing.
I'm also aware that really good ones cost a pigging fortune, and I ain't spending loads of dosh on one (mostly due to school fees but also due to it, as previously stated, being a very low-key affair).

So I'm looking for any advice that's out there vis-a-vis getting a decent, probably second-hand kit for as much under a grand as I can get away with.

Anyone?
* May contain nuts.

E.S.

Ello sir. :)

How about a Roland TD-11K or something like that? All those kits come in many configurations, depending if you want simple pads or mesh heads on all the drums and things like that (TD-11KV). No idea about UK pricing, but that one should give you quite a lot for the money.

Or the TD-15, but that'll cost you a bit more. It's a really nice sounding module IMO. A lot of fun to set up custom kits, even an idiot like me could do that without reading any manual. But, it depends how important sound is for pure practice.

E.S.

Oh, and I believe a certain Frost* drummer has tons of videos on the different kits on Youtube, recordings of clinics etc. Convenient. ;)

Rook

All I know us this,; the roland ones are pricy but very once, the Yamaha ones are very pricy and I don't know why and the Alesis ones are startlingly inexpensive and quite serviceable.

If you can find a Roland one at a good price it should hold its value pretty well should you decide to flip it after the gig. That's the way I would try to go.

Good luck!