Main Menu

New Guitar Day

Started by Rook, June 11, 2014, 05:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook

In my search for unusual sounds and uncommon instruments, I just bought this:

Now I just have to learn to play it!

D S

Oooh! Now there's a challenge!  8)  I have 2 fretless basses but I've never played a fretless 6 string guitar - good luck with that. 
They are pretty rare although Vigier has made them for years.  What's the make? I can't really see from the photo - it looks a bit like a PRS but I don't think it is.
The only person I've heard making really good use of fretless guitar is Adrian Belew with King Crimson.  I think he uses one on Sleepless amongst other tracks.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

Quote from: D S on June 11, 2014, 09:35:21 AM

The only person I've heard making really good use of fretless guitar is Adrian Belew with King Crimson.  I think he uses one on Sleepless amongst other tracks.

I've heard Dweezil Zappa do some pretty good stuff with one too

Rook

The brand is "Agile" and it was a cheapie (freight cost almost as much as the guitar), but it is actually very cool. I play a bit of fretless bass, which is what encouraged me to give it a go. Took an hour or so, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I find that I have to "not think about it" and trust my fingers to find the notes.

I imagined it would be perfect for Steve Howe pedal steel parts, but... not so much. Where it really started to shine for me was when I tried pulling out some Dave Gilmour solos.

Early days yet, but lots of fun.

JimD

I've experimented with fretless guitar from time to time. On a 6-string the difference between the wound and unwound strings is very noticeable - the bigger strings sustain a lot more and the skinny ones just sort of tend to go "bink".

My particular fretless guitar is an old much abused Ibanez Firebird that I pulled the frets out of. I found however that moving to an open tuning changes everything with fretless guitar - I've got it currently in something like close-to-an-open-chord-steel-guitar-tuning-that-you-can-manage-with-a-regular-string-set.

Meanwhile, since we're in gear corner I am having my old HH IC100 amp serviced at the moment...

...and am very much looking forward to having a blast through that (it's getting new smoothing caps and a tweak to the long-tailed pair dontchaknow...).
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

owen

Quote from: JimD on July 09, 2014, 11:31:40 AM

...and am very much looking forward to having a blast through that (it's getting new smoothing caps and a tweak to the long-tailed pair dontchaknow...).

I can safely say the answer to that is..."No."

JimD

Quote from: owen on July 09, 2014, 11:41:28 AM

What, you don't like the idea of me playing through my amp or the tweak to the long-tailed pair?  :-[

If it's the latter then I can tell you...that the additional current flowing out of that transistor's base was only around 50uA. So the left hand LTP transistor would then be passing around 0.53mA. With a 1.4mA CCS the right hand LTP transistor would have to pass a bit less than 0.87mA. If both LTP transistors had the same current gain then their base currents would be in the ratio 0.87/0.53 or about 1.6. This would explain why the designers chose two different base resistors - 10k and 15k...but I have no idea what that means, I am just quoting from some of the background information my amp-tech passed onto me about his diagnosis :D
About Me

owen

Mikey

Quote from: JimD on July 09, 2014, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: owen on July 09, 2014, 11:41:28 AM

What, you don't like the idea of me playing through my amp or the tweak to the long-tailed pair?  :-[

If it's the latter then I can tell you...that the additional current flowing out of that transistor's base was only around 50uA. So the left hand LTP transistor would then be passing around 0.53mA. With a 1.4mA CCS the right hand LTP transistor would have to pass a bit less than 0.87mA. If both LTP transistors had the same current gain then their base currents would be in the ratio 0.87/0.53 or about 1.6. This would explain why the designers chose two different base resistors - 10k and 15k... :D
Obviously  :-[
I used to have a signature

JimD

Quote from: Mikey on July 09, 2014, 06:37:19 PM
Obviously  :-[

<clarity type="mud">Yep!</clarity>.

Luckily it sounds ace.
About Me

owen