Prog Radio stations.

Started by tigermoth, July 09, 2014, 04:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Agreed. I love all things Frost*, but Milliontown will probably not be topped, if for mo other reason than that it was the first, the new standard, the thing that stood head and shoulders above all other music I heard that year. And it's held up over time. If you haven't gotten the remixed Milliontown, I highly recommend it - not only for the subtle differences, but for the vinyl-like warmth it has compared to the original mix.

Simon Collins (Sound of Contact, and son of Phil) and Dave Kerzner (ex-Sound of Contact) did a pretty cool cover version of "Keep It Dark" a few years back. You may want to give that a listen.

Meanwhile, on tomorrow's podcast, I've got the rerecorded Carpet Crawlers from 1999 as well as Afterglow from Steve Hackett's latest live album. Also the Rockfield Files version of BLM.  :)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

tigermoth

:o) sounds like and awesome podcast. Will check it out squire. Yes i've heard the Keep it Dark cover. Verry nice. Must say I never quite got in to Simon Collins stuff, not that there was anything I didn't like as such it just didn't grab me, until SOC that is. Great album. I never found out why Mr Kerzner moved on from SOC but i'll be interested to hear what they do next. I will check out the Million town remix. I usually moan about albums being remastered especially when you have to keep bloody buying the new versions, but that's one album I don't mind buying again. :)

gr8gonzo

The remixed Milliontown is really quite lovely. Jem is a perfectionist, and (like anyone who's ever recorded anything) there were always things that bugged him about the mix, so when the got the rights back from Inside Out, he went straight to work correcting the nagging things, plus adding bits and bobs. A few things I liked are missing, but nothing to complain about. There's far less compression. The songs breathe a bit more and have a more full-bodied sound. It's one of the few albums I've purchased 3 times or more. Totally worth it.

rogerg

tigermoth

Hello Mr Gonzo. Just listening to Saturday's show. Really impressed with the choices. Never heard ny of it before so that's some more downloading i'll be doing. :) Well, not only have I never been majorly bothered about Pink Floid, I've also never investigated ELP, but I'm enjoying the ELP track. Totally different to what little ELP I've heard in the past. A classic case of being put of by first impressions.
FreddeGredde is also a revelation to me, and I really should have listened to some of his stuff by now as I believe he's with whitenight too.
Nice bit of Chicago too. Perhaps rather boringly I lean towards Cetera rather than Sheff in the Chicago debate, but xxxi or whatever number it is is a great live album, and you can't knock those horns. :)
Oo, Kanzas! :) I'm just going to comment on every song as it comes. Haha Well, I would indeed be extremely honoured to appear on your playlist sir, when the powers that be say its ok. :)

Mikey

Quote from: tigermoth on July 29, 2014, 01:41:53 PM
Well, I would indeed be extremely honoured to appear on your playlist sir, when the powers that be say its ok. :)
Are you not your own power that be's?

Get some ELP down ya, have you heard Jem's FFTCM?
I used to have a signature

Rook

I know FreddeGredde from his YouTube channel (I'm a subscriber). Talented chap.

gr8gonzo

Thanks for the kind words. I try to cover a lot of ground in 3 hours, each set geared toward a different branch of prog (you keyed in on the block of classic rock). So, if a listener doesn't like what I'm playing in one segment, they need only check back 20 minutes later for something different - Dream Theater one moment, Yes the next. The Algorithm was a stretch, but it was a request and fit nicely with Losers, which naturally fits well with Frost*. There's a madness to my method!  ;D

Fredrik Larsson (FreddeGredde) plays nearly everything on his albums - even accordian - and has a unique sound, somewhat similar to Chris (Christiaan Bruin of Sky Architect). He paid a visit to the chat room when his previous album came out. I love his Killer Queen cover.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the podcast.  8)

Mikey

gr8gonzo

tigermoth

"FFTCM" Hmm, I know it not mine her! Well I listened to all of it anyway. Great stuff. I enjoyed the algorithm. Might be an area I'd go down creatively. All interesting stuff.

Mikey

Quote from: tigermoth on July 31, 2014, 05:59:06 PM
"FFTCM" Hmm, I know it not mine her!
Just sent a message via your website 8)

RacingHippo

It's famed for its left-handed Stylophone opening :-D
* May contain nuts.

gr8gonzo

Mikey

Quote from: RacingHippo on July 31, 2014, 10:58:00 PM
It's famed for its left-handed Stylophone opening :-D
A left handed Stylophone?
I wonder where he got that from, he said knowingly. ;)