Another Solo Competition!

Started by RobRideout, September 12, 2014, 03:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRideout

Hello, all! Sorry about the repost for all of you who are following Flying Machine on Facebook, but I thought I'd post in here since the last time I did I had a marvelous response and a reyt good time going through all the entries!

"Competition time!

Hello everyone, we're back again with a new competition in the run up to the release of our new album 'Roots' later this month.

For those of you who haven't partaken before, this is how it goes:

This backing track is the solo section from 'Overdose', one of the tracks on our new album, with the lead guitar part taken out.

Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to download this backing track (it's free to download directly from http://soundcloud.com/flying-machine/overdose-solo-competition-backing-track), import it into any recording software you have, and lay your own solo over the top of it!

Your solo can be on any instrument you like. Guitars, keyboards, vocal, triangle, bass, bouzouki, ukelele, oboe, clarinet, violin, theremin, spoons, etc. Anything is viable!

The backing track is 16 bars of 4/4 timing at somewhere in the region of 130bpm-ish. The chords move between Dsus2 and Csus2/A, but it's based around A minor, so that's a good starting point if you're stuck, or not into following chords.

Once you've got a solo done, bounce it down and send it over to Flyingmachinetheband@gmail.com, and we'll upload it to the Soundcloud page.

So once you've done it, head over to our Soundcloud page (http://soundcloud.com/flying-machine) and have a listen to the other entries and Like all of the ones that you think are cool. The one with the most likes by the end of the competition will be declared the winner, and will receive a free copy of the new album! (Cue audience woo)

The deadline for submissions will be midnight on the 30th of September and the winner will be announced on the 1st of October, so get recording!

And for any of you who don't play an instrument, but are just in it for the music, have a listen to the entries on our Soundcloud and make sure you vote for your favourite!

In the meantime, keep a keen eye out on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/FlyingMachineBand) for more updates.

For those who don't win the big star prize, the album will be available as a physical CD and also as a digital download from Bandcamp (flyingmachine.bandcamp.com/) for the low low price of £5, and all the profits from the sale of the album will be going to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust (www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/).

You can also buy our last EP 'Worlds Apart' from there for £1. Profits again are being donated to the CF Trust.

Thanks very much for participating, however you choose to do it. We truly couldn't do any of this without you guys, and we really appreciate it.

Have a well good time, and good luck!"

TL; DR - Do a solo in A minor...

tigermoth

Oo, will give it a go sir. :) Keyboard or guitar though? Or Rumänien nose trumpet? These are the questions! :)

RobRideout

D S

Challenge accepted and solo sent through!  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

RobRideout

The one's we've got so far are looking very cool :) Come on you guys, I know you're out there :P

tigermoth

Solo submitted. :) I'll have a listen to the others now. I didn't want to before incase I was shamed in to not submitting. Lol