A Christmas Offering

Started by tigermoth, December 13, 2014, 01:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermoth

Hello Frosties. This is a tentative question and what I do will depend on your thoughts. Now My music and literature tastes are many and varied, and while I'm a lover of the deep and meaningful  and complex which is why I love prog, I also have a soft spot for the purile, the imature and downright indecent. :)
Over the years I have been composing Christmas parodies for my own amusement. I have 14 of these in total, and they range from the harmlessly whimsical, to the obnocctiously rude and offensive. Sort of a cross between Bernard Cribbins and Chubby Brown if you can imagine such a thing.

Over the years I've shared these with close friends and family, and by and large they've gone down well, even to the point of the songs being requested at gigs.
So, what I want to know is, would any of you lovely Frosties like to hear them? I know I've now gained a small reputation on here as being a fairly credible prog artist, and I value that very highly. Therefore, I don't want to put the link up, until I find out whether you wish to be exposed to this ribbledry or not. Of course, even if I do post a link to the album, you don't have to click on it, and if you did you have been warned, there is some serious language on a couple of the tracks. But I thought I'd try and gage  the feeling first.
If people are interested I'll post the link, or send it to individuals. I'd like to give people a little crimbo prezzy to say thanks for all the support and CD sales, and if like me you find yourself struggling to deal with the constant cheeriness that Christmas brings on then you might well enjoy this offering. Let me know what you reckon Frosties. :)
Tigermoth

D S

Do you really need to ask?!  ;)
Yes please.  If people are concerned that they may be offended, they have the option of not clicking on the link (their loss!).
Come on, you\'re a lion!

owen

+1

Provided its suitably labelled where's the harm?

Unless the mods think otherwise?

Mikey

Quote from: tigermoth on December 13, 2014, 01:18:13 AM
I know I've now gained a small reputation on here as being a fairly credible prog artist,
Some what slight understatement.

Bring 'em on, you've posted the rider, Frost*ies can choose to listen or not
I used to have a signature

tigermoth

Hey, that's good enough for me. Ok, here's the download link. Once again, some of it's harmless, but some of it's rude, I mean f---ing rude. Lol. Please listen responsibly and enjoy:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14720207/A%20Crappy%20Old%20Christmas.zip

Happy hollidays.

Mikey

I used to have a signature

johninblack

Good work sir! Found them to be most amusing, although I'm sure I've heard something very,very similar to a couple of those before. Is that likely?
From the moderation point of view as far as I'm concerned you've clearly stated the type of content posted and that content while NSFW or polite company is bloody funny so no problem ;) .
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

catherine

A most entertaining seasonal antidote  ;D

johninblack

Made sticky for the duration of the festive season. :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

tigermoth

Cheers all. Here's egnog in your ear. :) John as far as I know I've not copied lyrics, but I've certainly copied styles. For some reason I mostly seem to adopt a northern accent. Maybe cursing just sounds better that way. I find grumpy miserable gits very funny, which is a bit worrying as one day i'll probably turn in to one, but I enjoy recording that kind of thing.

johninblack

Quote from: tigermoth on December 19, 2014, 01:07:49 AM
Cheers all. Here's egnog in your ear. :) John as far as I know I've not copied lyrics, but I've certainly copied styles. For some reason I mostly seem to adopt a northern accent. Maybe cursing just sounds better that way.
There are plenty of parodies out there so it's likely that I've heard one of those that resemble your work at some time in the distant past. :)
Quote from: tigermoth on December 19, 2014, 01:07:49 AMI find grumpy miserable gits very funny, which is a bit worrying as one day i'll probably turn in to one
Think I might have done that already. ;)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

JimD

I can't help but dig this. Very silly, very cheesy and not something I'd play to many other people (my attempts at sharing it have drawn some blank stares so far), but really bloody good.

I think I posted something similar about the tinned tomatoes song but what I like is the huge amount of stuff that is going on at all times in each of the songs - little non-verbalisms, backing vocals done by different characters, sound effects (even after repeated listens the police sirens and door knocks still have me wondering if they're really happening outside my house), and everything mixed really well and, key point here I think, with really good (often comic) timing.

One other thing I find really endearing - what sounds like a massive dollop of East Midlands dialect! As a native of South Lincolnshire there is stuff going on in there that I haven't heard in years, like "she drives to Skeg dunt she?" little subtleties like the singer of "A Wonderful Xmas Time (Not)" saying "Cops are here" rather than "*The* cops are here", and, well more "bastudz" than I've heard in about the last 20 years (my first 20 years being spent in bastud PE21).

A Crappy Christmas that's actually excellent - here's to more contradictions like that!
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

tigermoth

Thanks Jim. That's almost as nice a review as gr8gonzo gave me for Cocoon. :) It also means a lot, because although I only do my humourous stuff as a hobby and only when I get the time, it is a part of my music and it's good to know that people find it worth a chuckle.
It's great that you appreciate all the sound effects/background stuff. As for my accent, I live in a mining village near Mansfield and have done all my life. However, I was at boarding school in Sheffield for around 11 years, so I tend to drift from the midlands  to south yorkshire.
Don't worry about the blank stares, it's not for everyone. I grew up listening to so much older comedy. I was talking to a couple of people in  their late 50s, and somebody said something about The Clitheroe Kid. Then they said, "I bet you don't know what i'm on about do you?" I proceeded to tell them I knew exactly what they were on about, and to list names of the supporting characters and the acters who played them. We then talked about ITMA, Take It From Here, Educating Archie, and I went back further to Gilly Potter and Billy Bennit. Then they asked me who I was talking about. Lol.

So I also listened to Bernard Cribbens, Flanders and Swan, and the comedy songs of Sellers and Milligon. I got used to listening to comedy sinarios brought to life purely in audio and in the form of a song. I think this is harder for people these days to get to grips with. For one thing, the comedy song I think is....well not a dying art, but certainly one which has taken a back seat. Also, it's a cliche now, but that saying about pictures being better on radio stil holds true for me, but not with some. I have friends who just can't listen to plays or comedy on the radio because without the visual they somehow find it off putting or they just can't concentrate. I find this quite sad as I grew up listening to radio drama and radio comedy. I suppose some would say I had more reason to be in to radio with me being blind etc, but I don't think thats true.
Its a generational thing I think. For some reason, the last couple of generations seem to find it harder just to listen, and now of course with that many more tv channels, its not much of a surprise I guess.
My point in all this nostalgic babble, is that I can imagine some people hearing the Crappy Christmas album and just thinking, "What's he on about and whats going on?". Without seeing the picture of a bloke in pure mental anguish who's just flead a burning house on Christmas eve and lost everything, finally snapping and trying to grab a duck from a pond to cook for xmas dinner and falling in, without the visual some just won't get it. Or maybe, its just not that funny and one has to have a slightly odd sense of humour to appreciate it. Who knows. :) But I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've written a couple more this year, but I don't think I'll get time to record them for crimbo. But they can wait till next year. :) The compliments of the season to you sir!

Mooncat

Really enjoying this - some proper LOL moments, and I seem to keep singing the alternative versions of the lyrics whenever I here the originals - Last Christmas especially!!!

Well Done that man
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

tigermoth

"Really enjoying this - some proper LOL moments, and I seem to keep singing the alternative versions of the lyrics whenever I here the originals - Last Christmas especially!!!"
You want to watch that. Lol. Thanks alot, glad it made you chuckle.