A Visit to Chigwick - The video is here!

Started by tigermoth, March 08, 2015, 05:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermoth

Hello there me dearios. It's with great pleasure I announce that the video for A Visit to Chigwick is now online. Please check it out here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpnJmWEJVZg  My thanks to Rob Reed, Chris Jones and Mark Wardle for making it happen, but especially to Chris who put in many man hours to produce this lovely video. Hope you enjoy this mothingtons.

D S

Wondreful!   8)  That took me back years to my childhood!
Come on, you\'re a lion!

rogerg

So good!  Congratulations!!  I love it.

Trapezium Artist

Very, very good stuff, Mr Moth: seriously enjoyable song, although you had me in one with the use of all that Trumptonshire footage.

Interesting to hear in the lyrics one of the obvious questions I would have asked you: given that you're a young man (hey, everything's relative  ;)), how come you have nostalgic yearnings for those programmes, which predate you by quite some years?

I mean, born in 1961 and thus a kid when Camberwick Green, Trumpton, and Chigley came out later in the 1960's, I know why they work for me (he says, quietly wiping away a tear for a childhood lost in the woods of West Sussex), but for the younger generation?

I suspect it's because the originals themselves were already deeply nostalgic in their invocation of a lost or perhaps even imaginary world, and thus in some way, timeless from the outset. Between the beautifully dedicated stop motion animation, the music, the stories, and, of course, the unforgettable narration by Brian Cant, well, they're out and out classics.

Strikes me you're mining some of the same vein that has worked so well for Big Big Train, albeit much of their focus seems to have been on Victoriana and perhaps the 1930's world of Billy Bunter, rather than later years. What is it with us Brits and our yearning for the "temps perdu"? I work for a bloody space agency, and even I suffer from it ...  :o

In any case, hearing this song has made me want to buy your album, so job done  8)

Oh, but one last thing. Comic Sans? Seriously? Of course, absolutely no blame can be placed on you for that, but take my advice: have a word with your video producers ... (tongue in cheek)

D S

I forwarded the link for the video onto my mum, as (in true 'Watch With Mother' fashion), she enjoyed all the Camberwick Green / Trumpton / Chigley programmes with me when I was young.  As well as saying she really enjoyed the video (I'll get her into prog yet! ;)), she surprised me by saying she still had my 3 LPs of the stories and music from the series!  :o  So, if you need anymore soundtracks for a sequel, Mr Moth...
Come on, you\'re a lion!

owen

I barely remember Chigley, which is weird. The other 2 I loved (born 1962). Lovely video but I'm not buying it twice!

tigermoth

Thanks all. Lol at Owen. And DS that's great to hear. Camberwick Green is bridging the generational gap. :) But the records won't be necesary thanks very much for the offer. I have them already. Lol.  For those who collect useless trivia, the "A Visit To" part of the title comes from the LP "A Visit To Trumpton", and of course Chigwick is a combo of Chigley and Camberwick. Thus, getting all three LP names in to the title. :) Owen, for some reason Chigley always gets a little put to the back and neglected. Even I, a self confessed Trumptonshire freek, don't watch the Chigley series as much as the other two. Not sure why, as it's stil great, but possibly the ideas were coming a little slower by then and it's perhaps not as creative. But only by a tiny margin.  Lovely though. :)

Mikey

I used to have a signature

RacingHippo

I was half expecting our very own TigerMoth to come twirling out of the box at the beginning :)
* May contain nuts.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: RacingHippo on March 12, 2015, 05:27:41 PM
I was half expecting our very own TigerMoth to come twirling out of the box at the beginning :)

Ah, your childhood fantasies coming out now as you approach the second one, eh, RH?  8)

RacingHippo

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on March 12, 2015, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: RacingHippo on March 12, 2015, 05:27:41 PM

Ah, your childhood fantasies coming out now as you approach the second one, eh, RH?  8)

Whaddayamean, "approaching"?  ::)

I'm actually listening to this track now (on the album)....
I hate not being able to drum along to things subconsciously. I'm going to have to sit and work this bugger out now......
Curse you, Moth-features! It's fiddly!
* May contain nuts.

owen

So poor old Sir Terry is no more. I was listening to the 3 witches before and I could see the powerful wizards squabbling along, like Ridcully and the Bursar. And then they got squished. Or something. It sort of seemed...apt. I'm sure Rincewind would have escaped though

tigermoth

Yes, dear old Terry. It's been my ambition for a long time to listen to all the disc world novels. I don't know if I'll ever do it, but I'll try. A great man, RIP. Wonder if anyone's ever done a concept album about Terry's  work. :) Thanks guys for the comments. :) I don't come out of the box, but that ould have been cool. It's my name sake, Peter the postman. :)

Mordwin

I seem to remember Steel Eye Span did a record recently based on Wintersmith, but that leaves plenty other novels untouched!

Mooncat

Seem to recall that Soul Music had an album made of it too.
And Sky have adapted several of the stories for TV with associated music
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy