Focus

Started by Mikey, December 09, 2008, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Just seen this on

Quote from: "Boardwalk website"Friday 17th April
Focus
The ultimate progressive rock group

With their unique progressive rock Focus manifested themselves at the start of the seventies as the most successful and the most appreciated of all the Dutch pop-rock exports.

The band were fronted by the much admired duo of Thijs van Leer on the Hammond organ/flute and Jan Akkerman on the guitar. Their hit potential came in the form of a couple of instrumentals, "Hocus Pocus", "House of the King", and "Sylvia", but we shouldn't forget their timeless albums "Moving Waves", "Focus 3" and "Hamburger Concerto". But like all good things, it couldn't last and internal wrangling ended this legendary group.

After an initial careful comeback which resulted in a well received album "Focus 8", the band are now back on the frontline, with a fantastic line-up! Of course the founder member and musical genius Thijs van Leer is still holding the fort. Also back in his old spot is Pierre van der Linden, the drummer who is internationally renowned for his rhythmic skills, and who was and still is a defining factor in the whole Focus sound. Together with Bobby Jacobs who stems from a well acclaimed Dutch jazz family, they are responsible for the rhythm section and that unmistakable Focus groove. The talented Niels van der Steenhoven, who without any shadow of a doubt can hit the mark when it comes to the guitar completes the band's line-up.

A new Focus era has arrived. There is a rejuvenated passion in the new compositions, that adorn the new album "Focus 9 / New Skin", which has been released on the famous Red Bullet label of Willem van Kooten. This album -and the following gigs- will surprise the loyal fans. They will hear once again all the classic Focus tunes and they will be surprised at the strength and depth of the new material. "Our music is evolution, not revolution", Thijs van Leer once said about the music of Focus. Well now, the evolution is at full pace.

Seem to have lost my link to the Focus website............cue rummaging sounds

There you go.......Focus
I used to have a signature

Brom

Nice one Mickey!  :D

Focus were pivotal in bringing me to into the Prog fold. I would love to see a full Akkerman reunion but so far, sadly,  I can't see this happening. I think it's time I saw the rest of them!  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mikey

Quote from: "Brom"Nice one Mickey!  :D

Focus were pivotal in bringing me to into the Prog fold. I would love to see a full Akkerman reunion but so far, sadly,  I can't see this happening. I think it's time I saw the rest of them!  :D
Excellent live, old fogies or not. A band that you can see enjoy playing.

Reminds me....haven't looked at Jan's site for a while

PS
Don't expect thijs

Dave M

Sorry ... thought this was an eye test thread.  :shock:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Brom

Quote from: "Dave M"Sorry ... thought this was an eye test thread.  :shock:

IT
VERY
WELL COULD
turn out to be one
very spec tacular concert all the same

Gandalf1986

Quote from: "Brom"

IT
VERY
WELL COULD
turn out to be one

Hell... I can't see the last line... :shock:
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Mouse

Quote from: "Gandalf1986"
Quote from: "Brom"

IT
VERY
WELL COULD
turn out to be one

Hell... I can't see the last line... :shock:

I read it as something like "apec testicular cancer all the same", but now I've just quoted it, I can see how wrong I am.  :shock: Maybe I should get my eyes tested!  :D

I saw Focus at Hull City Hall with The Groundhogs and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash. Excellent performance, full of insanisty and quiet beautiful instrumentation. I waited around after the gig and actually got them to sign my flyer for the gig!  :)

I don't know if I uploaded the photos to my MySpace page, but if they are there the link's in my signature... (Desperate plug, I know!) Oh wow! This smilie thing's called 'Mr. Green'! - :mrgreen:

Excellent. I'm happy now.

rogerg

Quote from: "Mouse"I read it as something like "apec testicular cancer all the same", but now I've just quoted it, I can see how wrong I am.

that made me laugh out loud.   8-)

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Quote from: "Mouse"I saw Focus at Hull City Hall with The Groundhogs and Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash. Excellent performance, full of insanisty and quiet beautiful instrumentation. I waited around after the gig and actually got them to sign my flyer for the gig!  :)

Yes I caught them on that tour about a month ago, the third time I've seen them in recent years and excellent as ever.
Gotta say Niels van der Steenhoven is outstanding on guitar!

Nice guys too, I saw them at The Brook, Southampton around this time last year and after the gig they came out to chat to those of us that had waited back and signed CD's, tickets etc  8-)

Mikey

2009-01-16 Amstelveen (NL)
2009-01-25 Bunnik (NL)
2009-04-16 Milton Keynes
2009-04-17 Sutton
2009-04-18 Frome
2009-04-19 Tavistock
2009-04-21 Liverpool
2009-04-22 Sheffield
2009-04-23 Glasgow
2009-04-24 Manchester
2009-04-25 Morecambe
2009-04-26 Southampton
2009-04-27 Stratford Upon Avon

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Quote from: "Mikey"2009-04-26 Southampton

Looks like one for the diary...

Mikey

Some yodelling news just in;

Dear Focus people....news dates just announced:

Aberdeen - Lemon Tree - Thurs 27 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Edinburgh - The Caves - Fri 28 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Clitheroe - The Grand - Sat 29 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Leeds - City Varieties - Sun 30 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101

Brom

Quote from: "Mikey"Some yodelling news just in;

Dear Focus people....news dates just announced:

Aberdeen - Lemon Tree - Thurs 27 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Edinburgh - The Caves - Fri 28 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Clitheroe - The Grand - Sat 29 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101
Leeds - City Varieties - Sun 30 Oct Box Office 0871 230 1101

Wot!  :o nuffink Darn Saath. I'm smarting after finding an Akkerman gig on my doorstep has coincided with a "do" I have to attend, a Focus alternative would be welcome, I'll check for other dates.

Cheers Mickey  :)

Mikey

Quote from: "Brom"Wot!  :o nuffink Darn Saath. I'm smarting after finding an Akkerman gig on my doorstep has coincided with a "do" I have to attend, a Focus alternative would be welcome, I'll check for other dates.

Cheers Mickey  :)

That would make Leeds the South

Mind you Akkerman's only coming up as far as Runcorn.
I'm sure I've read there'll be some more Akkerman dates at the end of the year

Some previously announced Focus dates
SEP 22 Guildhall St Ives Festival + guests UK 01736 366077  
SEP 23 Exeter Phoenix + guests UK 01392 667080

Mikey

Anyone up at daft o'clock for the F1 would have heard a bit of Focus after 'the chain'