Main Menu

Gigs

Started by Jem, June 23, 2015, 07:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Quote from: L33VEY on June 23, 2015, 09:34:36 PM
Somewhere in the US where AJ can get to see you - he's kept the Frost* flag fluttering for a few years now

;D Cheers, L33VEY! As doing so would be one (many) too many BLUNDERS, I CONNAUGHT be taKING credit, for Here_Be_Frost*'s work, not mine. I do appreciate the compliment, though, and shall send the Google Earth coordinates of my back yard along.

No, actually, Tampa is not a hotbed of prog. We get the occasional DT gig. Mr. Wilson popped by on the GFD tour, but that may have been because John Wesley is my neighbor and Shteve needed a guitarist. Rush was just here. But, I fear there wouldn't be enough of a draw to justify the stop. Orlando, on the other hand, is worth the stop whether you're playing a gig there or not. House of Blues in Orlando is one of my favorite venues and they do get their share of progressive acts. I've seen DT, The Dixie Dregs, King's X... Even saw Fates Warning there once (with NDV of all people on drums, the tart). Plus, there's the wallet-sucking Disney empire and Universal Studios, now with Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade and Hogwarts Express. It would be wonderful to see Frost* in Florida, but I have to be realistic. On the other, other hand, there's a town in the next county called Frostproof and we may never know what that really means unless they pay a visit and test it.

On the more realistic side, the other, other, other hand, if you will, the most obvious places to play in the U.S. are Philadelphia (or not too much further Gettysburg *cough*rosfest*cough*), New York and Los Angeles. I'm sure Canada would welcome you, and Blunders wants to go back to Vancouver, so there's that. An even better destination might be for Frost* to join next year's Cruise To The Edge. Then I'd have to go.

Back in 2009, I flew to Philadelphia solely to see Frost* and it was as spectacular as I could have hoped for. Because my children were home with their grandmother, we had to leave early Sunday morning, so missed seeing Touchstone, though I did get to meet Rob and Moo, as well as a number of wondreful Frosties, including Roger and Cairn. Bank balance permitting, I'd travel again to see my favorite band.

Oh, I forgot Chicago...

So, in summary:

Places you should definitely play:

Philadelphia (or Gettysburg)
New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles

Places Craig wants to go back to:

Vancouver, BC

Wish list:

Orlando
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

JakeWorrell

Quote from: lyn on June 23, 2015, 10:18:26 PM
How about....Twats, It Bites, Lonely Robot, Frost* what a line up!

Take my money!
"The longer the note, the more dread."

BrendanGee

Quote from: D S on June 23, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Well, I'm obviously going to vote for the 2nd ever Scottish gig, preferably Glasgow. Sadly the venue where you played with Spock's Beard (the Arches) is no more but there are plenty good venues. King Tut's would be a great choice.
Failing that, somewhere else in 'the north' would be fine, like Newcastle or even Carlisle (best gig I ever saw It Bites play was there).  8)

I second this motion  ;D It's a shame about The Arches though.
That being said, I would understand if the logistics of making a gig happen in Scotland are too difficult to pull off.
Bring on the Trumpets!

johninblack

I'd say Norwich, trouble is don't think many others would  :(
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

lyn

Since we will all aspire to be at all the gigs just book all the  nights in the same place and sort out a season ticket.. no gear shifting. No ticketing drama, lots of Frostie fun, easy life for Nellie. Sorted.
Might even sort the curry out by day three.
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

lyn

I'd say Norwich, trouble is don't think many others would  :(

Can supply 3 Frosties into Norwich,, 4 if you count 12 year olds...

DueyC

Quote from: lyn on June 23, 2015, 11:05:19 PM
Since we will all aspire to be at all the gigs just book all the  nights in the same place and sort out a season ticket.. no gear shifting. No ticketing drama, lots of Frostie fun, easy life for Nellie. Sorted.
Might even sort the curry out by day three.

Word  8)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Fogeyspasm

The new venue for Fibbers in York is a great venue. Don't compare it to the old dark low roofed hole the old one was. Saw Lifesigns at the new place. Lovely venue. High roof and we'll set out. Loads of stage left and right stowage area too.
Tally Ho Chaps
Bandits 11 O\'Clock High
Throttle to boost, im going in!

lyn

Village Underground...

lyn

civic centre wovlerhampton.steam trains and prog,(porcupine tree) xxx

lyn

Edinburgh Playhouse...

D S

Quote from: lyn on June 24, 2015, 12:55:43 AM
Edinburgh Playhouse...
A tad ambitious perhaps but hey, nothing wrong with that!  ;)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mooncat

Another vote for the Robin 2, and the Brook in So'ton - have played 'em both and they're nice gigs.

I guess there's also the Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton (affiliated with the Civic/Wulfrun halls), and the o2 Academy 2 or the hmv Institute in Brum (much as I would love to Frost* in the big room at the Academy it's probably not a financially viable choice). The Institute has several rooms of varying capacities and the big room is quite ornate.
Of course that leads neatly on to the Assembly Rooms in Leamington which is a cracking venue and full of character - I recall JM being quite taken with it when IB played there a few years ago.
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

The Cosmic Lawnmower

Another vote for The Brook (Southampton) here too!
They've just had a new floor put in too, although I don't know if that's a vote clincher!

ich_bin_besser

Germany: Das Rind in Rüsselsheim (http://dasrind.de/) It's in the middle of Germany, right outside Frankfurt.
Lots of prog bands have played there.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste