Prog goes mainstream

Started by D S, August 12, 2015, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Was driving in the car just now and put on Radio 2 to play along with Ken Bruce's Popmaster.  First song afterwards was King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King!  :o  The next but one song was ELP's Fanfare for the Common Man!  What's going on?!
Come on, you\'re a lion!

tigermoth

Ken is a bit of a Prog fan on the quiet. I've heard Genesis a good few times, although bizarrely for some reason he usually chooses Match Of The Day. I think Richard Alinson is a progger too. :)

Jem

I love Popmaster, and not just because 50% of Frost* are playing on the jingle. ;)

D S

Quote from: Jem on August 13, 2015, 12:16:19 PM
I love Popmaster, and not just because 50% of Frost* are playing on the jingle. ;)
I think my family are getting bored of me pointing that out every time it plays!  8)  I love the flourish of strings near the end.
Is it my imagination or is Popmaster getting more obscure / harder?  Always good for a challenge though.

PS - seems to have been some pretty nasty weather down your way today.  I trust the Cube is intact?
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Jem

Dunno if it's getting harder, I always seem to get most of it wrong as it is. I'm always a year out on the Name The Year questions.  :o

We've had some very luxurious thunderstorms here today. The Cube smells damp after 10 days of inactivity, but nothing that a day or two of usage won't sort. The Police Box however is like a swimming pool inside, I shall have to get out the all weather sealant as soon as things settle down.

tigermoth

I think the answers I know are easy and the ones I don't know are hard. ;)

gr8gonzo

Quote from: Jem on August 13, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
The Police Box however is like a swimming pool inside

Aha! So there IS enough room! I knew it. ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

L33VEY

Lucky enough to get onto Popmaster some years ago.
Scored 33 out of 39 and beat a Scottish mobile DJ - but could only name 2 Go West top 40 singles  :P

I now listen to so much modern Prog and so little mainstream stuff that my scores always lousy these days..
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

D S

I'm not sure if Radio 6 Music counts as 'mainstream' but Liz Kershaw just interviewed Steve Hackett and played Firth of Fifth, Spectral Mornings and a 1971 John Peel session version of Harlequin, which I've certainly never heard before.  8)
Come on, you\'re a lion!